Storyville Gardens

L'burgnative

15 minutes ago, Natti_amusements said:

Yeah being too transparent before things are locked in can lead to a development failing.  Currently Storyville gardens are stating no delays for the project, and that a 2025 opening date is still the goal, as of Facebook comments 2 or so days ago. Not sure if 2025 will happen depending if the project has evolved to become bigger than expected, but good to see them at least answering some questions.

https://www.facebook.com/storyvillegardens

Screenshot (29).jpg

Well spring 2025 will not happen. That’s barely enough time to build a nice home, much less an amusement park. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Natti_amusements said:

Yeah being too transparent before things are locked in can lead to a development failing.  Currently Storyville gardens are stating no delays for the project, and that a 2025 opening date is still the goal, as of Facebook comments 2 or so days ago. Not sure if 2025 will happen depending if the project has evolved to become bigger than expected, but good to see them at least answering some questions.

https://www.facebook.com/storyvillegardens

Screenshot (29).jpg

Saw this yesterday, with all the latest tips and bits of information seems like there’s activity on going. At least it appears that way, it’s just a little difficult to be patient and wait. If this comes to fruition, and as planned it does have the ability to change a region and be a great add to the Metro. If it goes to Lebanon as rumored, it for sure would be the catalyst that city needs to become a player in The MSA. 

• 1 month later...

New Theme park announcement as part of $2b resort in Oklahoma along route 66, called heartland of America. Concept art on their website looks to be quite detailed/impressive, and it has many ex-Disney imagineers on board.

Wonder how Storyville will be impacted???

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230719039822/en/American-Heartland-Announces-2-Billion-Theme-Park-and-Resort-Development-in-Northeast-Oklahoma

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

My question is who would invest $2 billion into building a theme park in a place where the nearest significant population center (Tulsa) is over an hour away?  The next closest is Northwest Arkansas, and there isn't even a direct main route from there to the area this park is in.  And both of those places combined don't have as many people as metro Nashville does alone.  And to add to the mystery, neither of those population centers are much of a tourist draw already.  So these developers are either banking heavily that a HUGE proportion of the existing population in a two hour radius is going to drive to attend their park, or their banking on out of state tourists suddenly putting northeast Oklahoma on their maps due to this park alone.  I don't know.  Seems like a pretty shaky gamble to me.  

Silver Dollar City (and Branson in general) have been tourist destinations for many decades. (Silver Dollar City reported a record 2.2 million visitors in 2018.) Branson was/is definitely in the middle of nowhere! If this new park is done right, there’s no reason to think it cannot be successful just because of its rather remote location. (Of course, there’s a chance this thing never happens. I wouldn’t want to be an investor in building a theme park right now.)

Edited by donNdonelson2
Add attendance numbers
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Silver Dollar City (and Branson in general) have been tourist destinations for many decades. (Silver Dollar City reported a record 2.2 million visitors in 2018.) Branson was/is definitely in the middle of nowhere! If this new park is done right, there’s no reason to think it cannot be successful just because of its rather remote location. (Of course, there’s a chance this thing never happens. I wouldn’t want to be an investor in building a theme park right now.)

Definitely a fair point, but wasn't Branson already a tourist destination when it was built?  In other words, they had a built in customer base, essentially.   This park would basically be trying to start a tourist industry in the area from scratch, while competing directly with Branson not too far up the road.  I dunno, maybe I'm looking this in all the wrong ways but it just seems like an odd spot for a multi billion dollar development.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Definitely a fair point, but wasn't Branson already a tourist destination when it was built?  In other words, they had a built in customer base, essentially.   This park would basically be trying to start a tourist industry in the area from scratch, while competing directly with Branson not too far up the road.  I dunno, maybe I'm looking this in all the wrong ways but it just seems like an odd spot for a multi billion dollar development.  

Oh, I agree that there’s a lot odd about this proposal. Having worked in the industry for a big chunk of my career, I’m skeptical of any proposed new park that doesn’t have one of the big names as a backer. But, I’m happy to be proven wrong if they’re able to pull this off. (Much the same as my feelings about Storyville Gardens.)

• Like 3

The landscape is littered with abandoned amusement parks. I've seen a few on Youtube. 

So what's its name going to be? Tornado Land? Windswept Plains? Nowheresville? Lost Prairie Resort? OKay Village? What could be the attraction? Simulated twisters in an RV? Granted, I understand that RV travel has picked up a lot since the pandemic; maybe it will set a trend like a super-duper RV park that's a mashup of glamping and KOA on steroids. Yet another thing I know nothing about. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, nashville born said:

Pulling for them and Storyville.

Yeah same here, I don’t see the Oklahoma park has a deterrent for Storyville in anyway. There’s many parks throughout the country and I feel there’s room for more. I keep checking the limited sources available for any new updates on Storyville, but all I can see is very few responses to Facebook posts from whoever to monitoring it for them. Basically telling those that ask, there’s a lot going on behind the scenes and the park is still happening. I know certain details need to be kept confidential for one reason or another, but it’s been a very long time since we’ve had any information about this park. So crumbles would be welcomed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Natti_amusements said:

I just found an interview with founder of Storyville that states they apparently have 700 acres, with the park said to be a 10th of that land.

https://www.wordonthestreets.net/Articles/665814/Storyville_Gardens.aspx

That’s very interesting, wonder if that amount of acres has anything to do with the meetings they had with Piza Golf and Forrec. Also means that they wouldn’t be looking at the site in Lebanon that everyone had rumored on. Now as I mentioned earlier, right around the same time they were having those said meetings it was mentioned in a podcast that they were talking to a realtor about land and right after that the large tract next to the SuperSpeedway was under contract. 

On the note of the economy, I will say this; things are very slow right now and that goes for real estate transactions, construction starts, news in general, MDHA, Planning agenda items, permits in general, & I can keep on going. The Fed has done their job of slowing the economy down. It is very evident here for sure. You may not think so but talk to commercial real estate brokers and they will tell you it is dead.  This project may well be dead as I doubt, they will be able to afford the interest rates for the construction loans that are forthcoming.

More and more of these projects are delayed because they are waiting on the capital markets to improve. Well, let me tell you that is going to be a long wait. Interest rates are not going to fall anytime soon.

• Like 2