Storyville Gardens

L'burgnative

Well, it does need to benefit the area and be a success. The way they are going about the PR right now is pretty hap hazard. Remember how everyone found out about it. It was through an ad on a proposed building that Guerrier was going to do on Charlotte that has yet to be done. The NBJ caught wind of it and forced their hand. Since then, little bits and pieces have been released as they have made their rounds to the various civic clubs and such.

Now they are releasing poor B & W images on their Facebook account and said they were going to go through a certain bidding site, but now it is showing up on multiple bidding sites. This thing is turning in to a Charlie Foxtrot on square Wheels trying to float on water. They really need to get their act together and fairly quickly!

• Like 1

I do agree, that today’s children are not the same as those of the past. And that media, digital equipment and immersive experience will be a major factor in all aspects of this park. It might be based in the stories of old, but brought to life in todays modern times with the help of all the ne technology. Remember the design team working on this, is made up of people that were imagineers at Disney and have designed attractions for Universal and LEGOLAND . 

3 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Well, it does need to benefit the area and be a success. The way they are going about the PR right now is pretty hap hazard. Remember how everyone found out about it. It was through an ad on a proposed building that Guerrier was going to do on Charlotte that has yet to be done. The NBJ caught wind of it and forced their hand. Since then, little bits and pieces have been released as they have made their rounds to the various civic clubs and such.

Now they are releasing poor B & W images on their Facebook account and said they were going to go through a certain bidding site, but now it is showing up on multiple bidding sites. This thing is turning in to a Charlie Foxtrot on square Wheels trying to float on water. They really need to get their act together and fairly quickly!

I don’t know if you saw, but that B&M reveal has been taken of their Insta & Facebook, but is still on their twitter (which is strange). I have a feeling that, something fishy is going on behind the scenes, as that Phoenix roller coaster vid was very weird and gained a lot of attention with the coaster enthusiasts, even Coaster Studios made a video on it.

Natti, I just noticed that myself. It is strange that it was taken off. It was getting a lot of responses, mostly from people wanting to know the location. Now the start date seems to been pushed to Q2 2023 ! Wondering if they are having trouble getting everything in order, or maybe the possibility of a better property came forward with more room to grow. It’s still a mystery, and I do agree that they need to be more forthcoming about this

Maybe after receiving bids , they found out 300 million only gets them a parking lot and a hot dog stand! I’m thinking about the price tags on some of the new buildings Downtown and how do you build a whole theme park, 3 hotels a entertainment village and all the infrastructure for that ? I would imagine it to be in the billion dollar range.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

Maybe after receiving bids , they found out 300 million only gets them a parking lot and a hot dog stand! I’m thinking about the price tags on some of the new buildings Downtown and how do you build a whole theme park, 3 hotels a entertainment village and all the infrastructure for that ? I would imagine it to be in the billion dollar range.

I think the $300 million is just for the park itself, none of that hotel /downtown Disney kind of stuff. Who knows, it might only be for the first phase of the project.

1 hour ago, Natti_amusements said:

yeah I just went to Dollywood for the first time, and I was amazed. It was definitely the best all round ThemePark I’ve ever visited it terms of rides, shows, food, service ect. They even gave our whole family the military discount, cause one of my family members is an Aussie veteran. If Storyville does get built, I’m pretty sure it would have a much more corporate feel, and I don’t know if it could top Dollywood at all 

We’re about equidistant between Dollywood and six flags and when our kids were really young we alternated between because my parents lived in ATL and wife’s parents were in Knoxville. So it was always an easy day trip. By the time the kids were in their teens and were at a point to choose where to go it was always Dollywood. 

• Like 1

Dollywood’s a fun trip for a family.  That entire area is fun.  A little too touristy…but with the mountains and ability to rent cabins way back in the woods, really nice.  I even enjoy walking around G’burg a little.  Some decent restaurants.  Traffic is the only thing.  Got stuck on the Cade’s Cove loop one Sunday when the Vols were playing in Knoxville (Sat) and it took almost all day to get back out.

• Like 1

I think sticker shock may have set in. I think the cost may have risen about 25% for the first phase since they first proposed this think, so that may have gotten them up to 400 million. I am unsure what or how much cost have risen in construction cost and that is just a guess. Remember this was announced a little over a year ago and that number (300 million) had been in play for a while. To someone who could answer that question: How much has construction cost risen in let's say the last year and a half , on average???????

WW has reached out to the folks, and we will see what happens there.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Natti_amusements said:

yeah I just went to Dollywood for the first time, and I was amazed. It was definitely the best all round ThemePark I’ve ever visited it terms of rides, shows, food, service ect. They even gave our whole family the military discount, cause one of my family members is an Aussie veteran. If Storyville does get built, I’m pretty sure it would have a much more corporate feel, and I don’t know if it could top Dollywood at all 

And a lot of park enthusiasts are saying Dollywood's service/direction has really been off lately compared to 5-6 years ago. I hate that they removed the cave walk-through and just made a paved walkway. Hopefully something better comes of that! The fact that they built a new themed area called Wildwood Grove but completely bulldozed all the trees/foliage was a major head scratcher too. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Markitecture said:

And a lot of park enthusiasts are saying Dollywood's service/direction has really been off lately compared to 5-6 years ago. I hate that they removed the cave walk-through and just made a paved walkway. Hopefully something better comes of that! The fact that they built a new themed area called Wildwood Grove but completely bulldozed all the trees/foliage was a major head scratcher too. 

I guess I’m used to Australian ThemeParks, that are the quality of a SixFlags, while claiming to be on the level of Disney/Universal

• Like 1

Storyville have reposted on their socials  an updated video of their “phoenix” roller coaster announcement, with the same image of the B&M, but then another image that is what looks like an SLC layout. They were probs just trying to hype everyone up with the B&M invert, however while an SLC is definitely a downgrade, it shows us that they are still interested in having thrilling rides at the park.  https://www.instagram.com/tv/ChvD3i5s2S7/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

CFD8019E-C93B-4207-B402-1D52417CEE44.png

• Like 3

Hope 

2 hours ago, Natti_amusements said:

Storyville have reposted on their socials  an updated video of their “phoenix” roller coaster announcement, with the same image of the B&M, but then another image that is what looks like an SLC layout. They were probs just trying to hype everyone up with the B&M invert, however while an SLC is definitely a downgrade, it shows us that they are still interested in having thrilling rides at the park.  https://www.instagram.com/tv/ChvD3i5s2S7/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

CFD8019E-C93B-4207-B402-1D52417CEE44.png

Hope it's not the same Vekoma you can ride at Kentucky Kingdom. I think Hangman at Opryland (now at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom) is this model pictured or close. Please let it be something original and better like the newer Vekomas or a snappy B&M.

1 hour ago, Markitecture said:

Hope 

Hope it's not the same Vekoma you can ride at Kentucky Kingdom. I think Hangman at Opryland (now at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom) is this model pictured or close. Please let it be something original and better like the newer Vekomas or a snappy B&M.

Tbh I don’t think they know what they’re doing in terms of coasters. Both the one at Kentucky Kingdom & the one that was at Opryland, but now is at Discovery Kindgom are the type pictured (SLC), but this model seems WAY too old to be coming to a park opening around the middle of this decade. I feel like as the project moves along, this ride will slowly  be altered to be either vekoma’s new “Suspended Thrill” model, as it is thrilling/has inversions while keeping a 48 inch height requirement, or the standard “Suspended Family Coaster”. Both of these options would better suit the park in terms of quality, target audience and opinions for theming.

I think they are in trouble money wise.... I did see something that construction cost are expected to rise 14% this next year. You know that got to hurt the budget and they were not counting on that. SO........ They are making cuts elsewhere.

That is not counting they cost increase from when they first started this thing. So, if we take the 14% which is 42 million and whatever the cost increase has been since they first started, you are probably looking at another 100 million added to the cost of the 1st phase from the initial estimate of 300 million.

They are out getting more investors!

• Like 1

I’m just glad to see they are at least leaning towards having some “theme park rides”…whether they are truly state of the art, or not.  

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think they are in trouble money wise.... I did see something that construction cost are expected to rise 14% this next year. You know that got to hurt the budget and they were not counting on that. SO........ They are making cuts elsewhere.

That is not counting they cost increase from when they first started this thing. So, if we take the 14% which is 42 million and whatever the cost increase has been since they first started, you are probably looking at another 100 million added to the cost of the 1st phase from the initial estimate of 300 million.

They are out getting more investors!

I honestly don’t see how you get something like this off the ground for less than $1 Billion.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Natti_amusements said:

A verified source of mine has said that the park is now looking for “community investors” to buy $50,000 units. That confirms your theory smeags that they underestimated the initial cost and need more money because of inflation.

If they are looking for investors , then they need to be more forthcoming with information. They need to build up the momentum, get their PR company to promote this a hell of a lot better then they are currently doing. Most people around here, don’t even know about this project. I was just at a event with some long time area business folks , and they haven’t even heard of this. I truly believe that the people behind this, need to announce the location (at least the intended one) and the tentative plans and vision and flood the market so unless you live under a rock , your going to know about this. Investors are not going to get behind a lack luster, hush-hush , unknown kind of thing. If investors can see a hugh interest from the community and the want is strong , then it will become more of a sure thing in their eyes. I mean think about this for a moment, without knowing the intended location, they don’t even know what kind of pushback that the community will have. It seems to be not on any area planning commission agenda ( not that has been done in public meeting) and definitely not in the news. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for this happening, the vision and desire are good. But the excitement and execution are lacking.

The average increase was about (8 to 13%) so a 10% increase for 2021 so a 30-million-dollar shortfall and like I said they are estimating 14% for this year. That is 74 million in the hole. Now if they were smart, they would have figured some cost overrun into the original figure, but I don't know how smart they were as to the number.

If what you say is true it is not surprising at all. The longer they delay the more cost go up. However, they say the increase in cost will stabilize this next year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

The average increase was about (8 to 13%) so a 10% increase for 2021 so a 30-million-dollar shortfall and like I said they are estimating 14% for this year. That is 74 million in the hole. Now if they were smart, they would have figured some cost overrun into the original figure, but I don't know how smart they were as to the number.

If what you say is true it is not surprising at all. The longer they delay the more cost go up. However, they say the increase in cost will stabilize this next year.

These days with inflation you have to look at year in advance. In my industry, we are telling customers for anything ordered a year out, they automatically get a % cost increase to allow for inflation. We're seeing this throughout. Now of course this past year has been exceptional (not in a good way), but it's still smart to continue to plan for inflation. 

After just reading that the new residential building at 1805 Church st , has a 100.2 million dollar construction loan, I’m thinking that Storyville Gardens probably isn’t going to happen.  They are fooling themselves to think their even going to get a phase 1 done for the 300 million they claim they have. If they are obviously starting with raw land, the infrastructure and site prep alone will take a big chunk ( if not all) of that , and their planning 3 hotels, a entertainment village and a few attractions for first phase . Not going to happen, plus the purchase of the land itself needs to factor into it. I like the idea, and would love to see a theme park in our area, but I’m really starting to have my doubts,about this project. I agree with T-hog that in order for this to come to fruition , they will probably need north of one billion! I think as Smeags has mentioned before, that they are in over their heads. It’s just a matter of time (probably not long) before this fades into the sunset and we no longer hear about it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1