Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

9 hours ago, JeanClt said:

What’s interesting is Lincoln Harris has not done a Hospitality/Residential Project, or at least hasn’t highlighted any in its portfolio. Doesn’t even have a section for them. If they were to do something like that they would need to bring another developer in, otherwise it would be a first time as far as I can tell.

Didn’t they do the apartments and the Hampton inn at Phillips place?  They definitely haven’t done much. 

Didn’t they do the apartments and the Hampton inn at Phillips place?  They definitely haven’t done much. 

Were they known as The Harris Group before? Or have they always been Lincoln Harris. If the latter then no? Unless Lincoln Harris is part of the “Group” lol not too familiar with all these developers and similar names and their connections.

The Harris Group was master developer:

https://casestudies.uli.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/C028020.pdf
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JeanClt said:

What’s interesting is Lincoln Harris has not done a Hospitality/Residential Project, or at least hasn’t highlighted any in its portfolio. Doesn’t even have a section for them. If they were to do something like that they would need to bring another developer in, otherwise it would be a first time as far as I can tell.

Yes they have not done anything residential but have an affliation with Lincoln Property out of Dallas that has done high rise residential towers.

Lincoln Property Company Apartment Property Management (lincolnapts.com)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Speaking of Lincoln Property Company and they would be a great partner with LH as they are related in some way anyway.  Here is the new tallest mixed use building underway in Austin.   74 stories with apartments, a hotel and 700K sq of office space in one tall tower 1022 feet tall the new tallest in the city and the state of Texas.

https://www.statesman.com/story/business/real-estate/2022/09/06/austin-waterline-tower-to-be-tallest-building-texas/65467286007/

I have said a mixed use tower of at least hotel rooms and apartments maybe even a few condos would be great at Legacy.  Something like the W Residences, or even Four Seasons Hotel and Residences like in Nashville.   (   https://www.fourseasons.com/nashville/  )  

Visited Austin this summer and I approve of this move, as building that high is one key way to escape the godawful heat there.  Are Austin and Charlotte still in the same league?

27 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

In terms of urbanity/skyline, Austin is ahead & pulling away IMO.  Still in the same league. Rewind 15 years ago, I completely scoffed at the idea of Austin's skyline catching up to Charlotte. 

Austin 2005:

Austin's changing skyline during ACL

Austin 2022 (And it's got TONS of new high-rises U/C, proposed, etc. including over 1,000 Ft. as some have mentioned.

Downtown Austin skyline aerial drone helicopter pan right during summer  sunrise in 2022 by BlackBoxGuild

And boy was I wrong to laugh them off as being no more impressive than Winston-Salem. I think one thing that will accelerate the trend is:

The area of densifying urban area in Charlotte is larger and there are more unbuilt areas for Charlotte to grow. Plus the Blue line is much longer than their red line. Austin's current and largest boom started before Charlotte's, so I think there is a chance that Charlotte catches up. The river makes a more dramatic skyline in some ways, but I don't think they are running away with things. Charlotte and Nashville have more room to expand, so smaller buildings for now, but that could change. Charlotte needs to attract MORE HQs however, and being the state capital of a huge state with the flagship university and a huge tech industry helps Austin in that regard, but the state of Texas has more political headwinds. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Austin 2005:

Austin's changing skyline during ACL

Whoa, this pic brings back memories!  That pic is from Austin City Limits in 2005 and I was there that year!  Saw the Killers, Franz Ferdinand, and a bunch of others I can't recall now.  But I can recall people passing out just standing there in the crowd because of the Godawful heat.  They started giving water out for free.  Medics constantly making their way through the crowds.  I remember hearing that there were 80K people there that year.  Good times.

• Like 4

Up until now, Charlotte could arguably be declared the winner on an HQ score.  Austin area is only home to 2 Fortune 500 companies (Dell, Oracle), while Charlotte area is home to 8 (BofA, Truist, Duke, Honeywell, Lowe’s, Nucor, Sonic Auto, Commscope).  

Not sure how important HQ recruitment will be to skylines going forward, however, given WFH trends and a general rethinking of the value of massive real estate expenditure as integral to the operating model.  Even the latest Austin tower isn’t necessarily a corporate center, but rather a very integrated and mixed use vertical structure.

Most of those towers are residential/hospitality anyways. HQ doesn’t have much to do with it like you suspect. Tech though does! Tech jobs pay well and allows for more people to afford condos which is also what’s coming up in high rises there too. Office is put in on some of these projects but a majority is overwhelmingly residential.
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, APS89294 said:

Had to triple take this thread to see if I was mistakenly in Austin's UP. Legacy Union? What's that?

If you'd spent time walking around Legacy Union at ground level, and staring into its vacant retail spaces, you'd understand why we'd rather talk around Legacy Union or talk about other places that might inspire a change in direction for Legacy Union, than talk about the complex itself.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, AltNative said:

Is Lincoln Harris totally inept at leasing retail spaces or is it something else? Look across the street--an incredible slate of tenants have filled the bottom of ally. Does lincoln harris really just not give a damn?

I could be totally wrong, but I wonder if long-term, ground-level retail tenants are reluctant to sign until a development complex “settles down.”  In other words, as long as a significant portion of LU is or will soon be a large-scale construction project, tenants targeted hold off on an investment in the site.

41 minutes ago, AltNative said:

Is Lincoln Harris totally inept at leasing retail spaces or is it something else? Look across the street--an incredible slate of tenants have filled the bottom of ally. Does lincoln harris really just not give a damn?

Would you want to open a business in any of those spaces?  I don't think its a big mystery.   Lincoln Harris set up their retail like they were trying to meet a quota rather than trying to build spaces where retail could thrive. 

I think the parcels pending development have the most promise though since they have frontage along Stonewall, so I'm (pessimistically) withholding judgment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CTiger said:

Would you want to open a business in any of those spaces?  I don't think its a big mystery.   Lincoln Harris set up their retail like they were trying to meet a quota rather than trying to build spaces where retail could thrive. 

I think the parcels pending development have the most promise though since they have frontage along Stonewall, so I'm (pessimistically) withholding judgment. 

They totally failed on the ground level IMO. And I don't think they care nor ever contemplated the retail units being anything but laundry, sundries and maybe some upscale restaurants for the work crowd. They built great corporate office towers  with a Fortune 500 HQ, with a major Fortune 50 tenant, a Fortune 1000 tenant, etc. So I doubt they have any regrets or view their project as anything less than wildly successful.

Even if they could just break up some of the retail units by colors, it would've been something. Ideally they would've split the parcel up further with a road between Tryon and Mint and wider sidewalks. With the pure scale of the project, it could've been a legit destination area if the ground level was done right (and IMO could've been more attractive for upscale hotel/condo towers or anything residential) and diverse retail tenants. Would've been nice to have say a Diner near the stadium, things that would appeal to a stadium-y and leisure crowd in addition to the 9-5 crowd like the below (Diner on the bottom with a more corporate-y appealing bar on 2nd floor)

Ball Park — Silver Diner

It also would've been nice to have an entertainment venue similar to a nicer version (or geared towards the 30+ crowd version) of the Filmore or places that have live music etc. Obviously venues that would be fun and appealing but still classy or nice enough to not be to out of place with a Bank tower on top.

But I think at this point, the development is what it is and what you've see so far is what you're going to get. As some will say (though I wont because I don't think it's a one-or-the-other issue).... It's better than nothing and it brought jobs to the region so. There's that. And it makes for a pretty skyline. Though it could've created great synergy with Crescent projects if they did the street level similar to Crescent's developments. But the dye has already been cast on this one. And from an office development perspective, it'll likely continue to be a cash cow and success for Lincoln Harris.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 4