Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

To me, it boils down to what is Teppers long term vision for this stadium? If he’s going to build a dome, fine. If not, I’d like LH to be a little bit more creative with this last parcel. It’s very large (might be the largest parcel of the entire LU). So far LU has been heavy on office obviously and it feels corporate-y if you will. If the stadium stays put, I’d like to see that parcel built to welcome visitors from the streets. It’s big enough for several towers but have lots of retail. With panthers, mls, and other events, mint street gets flooded with ppl. Honestly wouldn’t mind scaled down and more pedestrian friendly epicentre type feel with retail on the bottom and several towers above. Electronic video boards advertising the panthers or Charlotte fc. Bars and restaurants. Create an attraction like an ACC store/museum since the HQ is there now. A residential and hotel tower would add that much needed 24/7 foot traffic and help support the retail. Not saying we need a full blown entertainment district or ball park village there but LU needs some life and energy esp with the proximity to the stadium. 

*We’ll end up with one or two more office towers and another parking deck lol

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I thought that those towers were taller.

Why would you think that? Residential floors and parking garage floors are 10 ft tall. So if it’s 50 stories it equals 500ft. It’s pretty much the amount of floors multiplied by  the 10ft floor height. Then add the height of the decorative top.

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

53 minutes ago, j-man said:

Why would you think that? Residential floors and parking garage floors are 10 ft tall. So if it’s 50 stories it equals 500ft. It’s pretty much the amount of floors multiplied by  the 10ft floor height. Then add the height of the height of a decorative top.

Most high-rise residential construction in the US is in the Forbidden City, and I believe that the floors are generally 15 to 20’ tall.  I assumed that was a new standard which could be applied in Charlotte too.  I can’t imagine that it costs too much more to add extra floor height.

The new JPMorgan HQ, while commercial, is almost 1,400’ tall, and yet it’s only about 56 floors.   Similarly, the new 175 Park will be almost 1,600 feet tall, and I doubt it will be over 100 floors.  It’s probably about 70-75 floors.  

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Most high-rise residential construction in the US is in the Forbidden City, and I believe that the floors are generally 15 to 20’ tall.  I assumed that was a new standard which could be applied in Charlotte too.  I can’t imagine that it costs too much more to add extra floor height.

The new JPMorgan HQ, while commercial, is almost 1,400’ tall, and yet it’s only about 56 floors.   Similarly, the new 175 Park will be almost 1,600 feet tall, and I doubt it will be over 100 floors.  It’s probably about 70-75 floors.  

Hey man, people might be giving you some pushback, but I love your ambitious goals for Charlotte and I hope LH has the same goals. Go big or go home! World class cities need world class buildings and pedestrian experiences, and I think they can accomplish both with this last parcel!

(also I’m praying to the ancestors that LH does not buy the iron district land…)

Edited by ClassicColtrane
  • Like 4

I would prefer not to see a really large building in this spot, because it will leave the skyline permanently unbalanced (due to the stadium and 485 canyon). I think the DEC was ugly when it was the only building in the area, because it made the skyline unbalanced -- I definitely hope they don't do the same thing just when DEC's district has been built out with a number of mid-height buildings that make it look reasonable!

If we're going to get a really tall residential building, I'd love for it to go on the site of the datacenter or one of the parking decks in the "parking district" at 4th & Church.

Edited by asthasr
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ClassicColtrane said:

Not sure what your definition of “super-tall” is, but by my count, Charlotte has 1. And that’s 1 BAC tower. 

Height distributions for commercial buildings are quite a bit different than those for residential.  Distributions for land-locked, older, built-out spots where verticality a necessity are quite a bit different than those in sunbelt places with land availability on a relative basis.  My point, however, wasn’t semantic.  Just my subjective impression of odd, even comical priorities driven by what looks like megalophilia.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JeanClt said:

Well they are fascinating and amazing structures! Not everyone knows this but engineers typically design the structure and systems that makes these amazing buildings function whilst Architecture takes the building structure and makes it look just as amazing as the systems and the structure behind its aesthetics. It’s definitely a team effort and each aspect cannot be attributed to overall any one person or profession. I’m not saying there needs to be more, but want to say there is an obsession of miniature buildings as well. 750ft (I don’t think this is what you’re saying but I’ll say it anyway) is not super tall. Although the forbidden city is not comparable (I’m assuming it’s Austin lol correct me if I’m wrong!) I’d like to see taller residential and hospitality mixed use towers. It would help uptown gain much more population density, but I wouldn’t say that those towers are the only kind I’d like. I wouldn’t also mind getting more 200-350ft towers maybe 10 or more of those!

If growth in Charlotte continues unabated you might just get your wish of 10 or more smaller Towers in the next 5 years.  They may just be disbursed throughout Uptown, Dilworth, Midtown & South End.

My guess on the LU5 Large lot @ Brooklyn Village & Mint is that there will probably be 2 Towers with a Large shared Parking Deck to support it and Retail on bottom level.   Lincoln Harris has said they want mixed use so probably won’t only be Office but maybe Residential as well.  If it has an Office Component then that would be at least tall enough to be seen during Football Games (for Signage) so in the 290’ to 400’ range.  2nd Tower may be a Podium Style building.  

Im sure LH will take whatever comes their way in order to close out this project.  Depending on possible Recession & next Development Cycle timeframe, I would guess this Lot could break ground in the next 3 years or less.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

Charlotte developers are scared to go above 600 feet nowadays. Austin is putting us to shame with some of their recent announcements and the designs are much better too.

Austin is surely in the process of overbuilding at the moment. Meta has recently backed out of the Austin "supertall", they had originally leased the entire 1.4 million sq ' of the tower.

https://www.globest.com/2022/11/07/meta-pulls-back-on-anchoring-austins-tallest-building/?amp=1

And if towers that only meet the definition of "supertall" are worth obsessing over then Dallas, & Houston in Texas, and most other midsize to major cities, (I can only count 6 cities in the U.S. that have at least one, completed, supertall tower) don't have any either. 

Edited by Mid South NC
Correction, Houston barely has one at 1,001'
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Regarding supertalls... although we're well off-topic, I will share a personal photo I took from our apartment in Ho Chi Minh City immediately prior to COVID. The HCMC supertall (Landmark 81) is visible in this photo, but which is more important to the urban fabric in this photo? The supertall, the high-rise residential (15-25 stories) buildings, or the block after uninterrupted block of 5-6 story "low-rise" houses?

Edit: why did my photo get eaten?... here, just have a link.

wyuRBuN.png

Edited by asthasr

Looking on Google Earth, that final lot is gigantic. I see no reason it couldn't accommodate a tower of similar size and scale to LU's BoA tower (maybe a tad smaller if they truly want to keep the latter as the centerpiece) while keeping plenty of room left for a marketplace/park/stadium-serving area (as @CharlotteWkndBuzz said). 

While I agree that clustering so many skyscrapers in this region might throw off the "balance" of the skyline, frankly I don't really care. Plenty of cities have imbalanced skylines, I mean look at Manhattan itself which has two very distinct peaks. It will still look great. So I'm with @SydneyCarton here, or at least why not something 600'+. We seem to have an absolutely endless supply of South End 300' residential, why not basically combine two of those into one huge residential tower in LU? Would bring some life to the area too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

If you prefer fantasy land try here https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=323 (except that is reality, for cities that aren't Charlotte)

Charlotte is a booming city.  How is a 750’ tower a fantasy?  

I don’t care what LH builds.  I like all of their work whether it’s short or tall.  I’d be happy with something like the Capitol Towers in SP.

I just assumed that they’d want to build a new QC landmark to complete the project. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2