Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Well my dad's into heavy metal, haha, and it was a band called Clutch ... from Baltimore. They played at Alley Katz. Probably not your type of venue or performer burt :lol: The opening act was a guy named kelly something... I forget his last name... anyways, he played a lot of old blues (robert johnson for example)...very awesome to say the least.

Anyways, the venue was packed on the 1st and 2nd floors. We were on the first level until a mosh pit formed. Then we went up stairs and did our best to peer over people to see the band downstairs. Overall, a good, funfilled night. My dad is psyched about the new Toad's Place going in at Lady Bird.

And I guess to keep this post on topic, you could get better food at a bowling alley than you could at Alley Katz. lol

We only crowd surfed a couple times :rofl: yeah right!

I've only done that a couple times... talk about trusting a bunch of inebriated strangers with your safety!!

You're Dad sounds like a pretty cool guy wrdlcoupe. I remember a lot of people being into Clutch back I when I was in college (man I'm starting to sound OLD!). Glad to hear they are still rocking out and had a great crowd at Alley Katz. I think everyone should crowd surf at least once. As long as they are packed close enough together, even inebriated folks will keep you from falling on your head! :rofl:

Sorry if this is off-topic or common-knowledge for you guys but is there any kind of timeline set for Toad's Place?

Toad's Place is set to open by year's end.... early 06 at the latest... by spring they plan on having a floating stage in the canal walk for outdoor concerts.

Can't wait! It's about a 1200-1500 venue so it should be a great addition to Richmond's scene!

And Papa Coupe will be out there opening night surfing the crowd.

:yahoo:

Check. There are discussions of Half Way House in here somewhere, but I don't feel like scrolling around to find them. Maybe there could be someway we could index restaurants to easily access previous comments. I thought computers were supposed to be able to do that kind of thing. :) I haven't eaten there in at least 30 years. It was quaint and certainly more than adequate, but not award-winning IMO. But that was then - this is now.

Wow! When I started this thread back in May of this year, I never dreamed it would attract as many viewers as it has. With more than 4700 hits, we're the third most visited topic on the Richmond board after Richmond Development and Vistas on the James.

I wish more people would contribute, but those of you who do, please continue. :)

Edited by burt

Among Zack's amusing meanderings are snippets about a new chain out west at 9498 West Broad in the shadow of Lowes called HAMS RESTAURANT. The chain began a couple of decades ago in Greensboro. It is one of five expected expansions in the Richmond market. Opening November 14th.

Zack also visited the under-construction site of the former NY DELI in the 2900 block of West Cary practically next door to the Byrd Theatre. It was discovered that the flooring had to be removed and new support joists installed. The new owner has not yet decided on a new name for his establishment but promises that a former chef will return with her sailor. For those not in the know, her sailor is a New York Deli signature sandwich. A February '06 opening is hoped for.

Jeffrey Kelly likes the WIRED CAFE at 204 North Robinson between Grove and Hanover Avenues. It's a coffee house with sandwiches, Danish, etc., and multi-colored sodas! O yes, also excellent coffee.

Edited by burt

thanks for the updates.... Style has a large list of restaurants on their site. Perhaps we could use it as a template or starting point and we can add our own descriptions to each restaurant?

O, boy! That would be a huge undertaking, wouldn't it? And just at a time when I'm going to have to devote more time elsewhere.

:)

haha well I could make the list and send it as a word document. Then you could add stuff to it, and send it back to me and we could post it

You realize, of course, that I don't know what a "word document" is. Could Checkplease and others also be involved in this? They would most assuredly understand the workings of this better than I.

:lol:

Attention: To anyone who may have been out on the First Friday gallery crawl: Did you take note of the two new dining options - one of which is close to opening? They are WINDOW'S 27 at Adams and Broad and the other is in the Popkins building at Jefferson and Broad.

How about it, Checkplease? I bet you were among that arty crowd! :)

Attention: To anyone who may have been out on the First Friday gallery crawl: Did you take note of the two new dining options - one of which is close to opening? They are WINDOW'S 27 at Adams and Broad and the other is in the Popkins building at Jefferson and Broad.

How about it, Checkplease? I bet you were among that arty crowd! :)

Well, Burt, I have been among the "arty crowd" in past First Fridays, but not this week. I was up on Broad near Adams for a meeting the other day, and I saw Twentyseven (that's what the sign in the window says). But, I had originally heard the name was supposed to be Windows 27. It looked like it's going to be pretty schwanky! I don't know about the Popkins building. What's going in there?

When I do got to First Fridays, I always end up at Comfort. I absolutely LOVE their fried green tomatoes and banana pudding (more like banana creme brulee).

I was reading Metro Business today in the TD, and I saw that Sensi has gotten their business license which means it must be opening very soon. I'll have to investigate. That's been in the works for some time now.

I was at the Brunswick Stew Festival this weekend as well (yum!), and on the way back to the car, we passed a new bakery on Main called Cobblestone Bakery. They serve upscale sandwiches, wonderful looking pastries and cakes, and fancy breakfast (all day). I think they close around 5ish each day. Has anyone tried it?

Thanks for the report, Check. I had heard that a restaurant would be in the revamped Popkins building (diagonally across from COMFORT).

Good news about SENSI and TWENTY SEVEN. Apparently they are dropping the WINDOWS part of the name. The operators of AMICI and LA GROTTA are very involved in TWENTY SEVEN. That's the address of the place - 27 W. Broad in the old Korman Furniture store.

Did you take a quart or two of Brunswick Stew home with you?

Awesome crowd at the Stew Festival... BUT by the time we got there (around 2:30) they were totally out of Brunswick stew... I heard some of the stewmasters ran out in less than 20 minutes. So I didn't get ANY brunswick stew there.

Stopped by the store later though and picked up some of Mrs. Fearnow's for dinner :)

Awesome crowd at the Stew Festival... BUT by the time we got there (around 2:30) they were totally out of Brunswick stew... I heard some of the stewmasters ran out in less than 20 minutes. So I didn't get ANY brunswick stew there.

Stopped by the store later though and picked up some of Mrs. Fearnow's for dinner :)

I know! People were crazy with the quart-buying. We didn't know this but 1 pm was the time they started allowing people to buy quarts. We already happened to be in line to buy, so we got ONE and then they ran out. It was so frenzied...insane.

For those who went, did anyone try the stew from Seven Hills Market? They are a small gourmet market on Forest Hill Avenue, family-owned and run. They do gourmet take-out and catering (www.sevenhillsmarket.com), such as crab cakes, wonderful peanut butter pie, etc.

This was the first year they were at the stew festival and I thought their version was wonderful. It was much thinner and broth-like than the traditional recipe but it was the best.