Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

I think the next time me and the g/f can check out one of these restaurants is when I get the 'honor' of paying full price.... I'll be home this weekend for a concert with my dad, and she won't be there. And, being that my dad is from Wales, I'm almost positive we'll hang out/eat at penny lane pub before the concert.

Considering all I had to eat tonight was ramen noodles, then a chicken tender sandwich and chips.... I'm just a tad jealous of your meal check! I'm actually disappointed I read it because now my mouth is watering!!

Well, guess you'll dine on Kidney Pie or Bangers with chips and a pint before the concert.

:lol:

Tell us about the decor at CAFE LAFAYETTE. Is it elegant, plain, kitschy? Does it have a full bar and good wine list? Was there a good crowd tonight?

Sorry you don't like potato salad, check. But have you tried SALLIE BELL'S version?

What other restaurants are on your schedule this week?

Coupe, I hope you plan to take the g/f out this weekend to one of the participating restaurants.

The decor is very casual. I think the building used to be a small market. It's one small room, all tables (no booths), with bookcases filled with books lining the walls. The front wall is all windows (from the old store) and the back is lined by a deli case filled with wine bottles. I think the floor is black & white linoleum. The menu is on a chalkboard, but the wine list was quite extensive. Mostly bottles. I would have preferred more by the glass choices (those were very limited).

The servers were so friendly and casual...wearing jeans and aprons. But the food (as I mentioned) was top-notch. The atmosphere fits the neighborhood location.

There's no bar, so I don't recall seeing anyone drinking liquor. The place was filled when we got there (8 pm) but thinned out by the time we left (9:45ish). The waiter mentioned many tables had just turned over. Very small, as I mentioned, so "filled" isn't exactly a lot of people. I liked the small crowd. I hope I can keep it "my little secret." :D

I'll be heading to Bacchus tomorrow night, another first for me. The chef is apparently not limiting the menu. Diners will be able to choose anything for the Restaurant Week price. I've very excited! :D

I hope you like BACCHUS at Meadow and Main diagonally across from MARTINI AND BUBBLE BAR. I've enjoyed it on my two visits. You can watch the chefs preparing your meal. There's a raised level in the back of the room that I believe is used for parties of 6 or more, but I doubt if total capacity, including the busy bar, exceeds 40.

Remember - you read (at least something) about CAFE LAFAYETTE here! Though I note from its odd-numbered address that it is not the site of the old Lafayette Pharmacy which had an even-numbered address on the west side of the street. :)

Have you ever tried ZEUS GALLERY CAFE on Belmont north of Grove Avenue? Very good, but also very loud.

Edited by burt

Not a whole lot in Style today. Deveron writes about the Asian influx in the Horsepen/Broad area (where is Rigby Road?)

Timberlake, whose gender is still unknown to me, also had considerable information on the closing of STELLA'S. A couple named Bruce and Virginia Rowland are taking over the premises and will call the spot on Main at Shields Avenue, what else but ROWLANDS when it reopens in about a month! (Rowland Avenue is just one block to the east, but unrelated :)).

Joseph W. Cates has a generally good review of OLD CITY BAR in the Railroad YMCA building at 17th and Main, but I think he is incorrect in saying ..."has been reincarnated as many things, including a number of failed restaurants...". Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only restaurant occupant in that space that I am aware of was CITY BAR AND CHOP HOUSE (or similar name) which did fold. It was run by Angela Ripp and her husband of HAVANNA 59 fame. Also, the Pub on the ground floor had a previous identity before ROSIE CONNOLLY'S PUB.

Anyway, it sounds like a place I'd like to try. The owner/operator is David White formerly associated with INDIAN FIELDS TAVERN in Charles City (on Route 5) and DAVID'S WHITE HOUSE in Providence Forge.

Edited by burt

:rofl: some things... but not all. The best (or should I say largest) homemade meals are made in the kitchen's of my welsh relatives. lol when I was over there in 2003 with the g/f, we stopped by my auntie lily's who has a habit of overdoing things for her guests... We stopped by to say hello and told her not to cook anything except tea because we had already had a large lunch...

We walked into the kitchen and the oven was on and she had hidden things under towels on the counter. Low and behold she had cooked an entire ham along with a fullll main course, appetizers, 2 cakes, a pie and these potato things. I'm surprised we were able to roll out of the door!! :lol:

haha sorry for the story but she's a trip... and it has to do with food!

:rofl: some things... but not all. The best (or should I say largest) homemade meals are made in the kitchen's of my welsh relatives. lol when I was over there in 2003 with the g/f, we stopped by my auntie lily's who has a habit of overdoing things for her guests... We stopped by to say hello and told her not to cook anything except tea because we had already had a large lunch...

We walked into the kitchen and the oven was on and she had hidden things under towels on the counter. Low and behold she had cooked an entire ham along with a fullll main course, appetizers, 2 cakes, a pie and these potato things. I'm surprised we were able to roll out of the door!! :lol:

haha sorry for the story but she's a trip... and it has to do with food!

Grandma's and aunties LOVE to feed their loved ones!

:lol:

Today's RTD Restaurant news by Dana, Zack and Paige was heavy on the oriental side. Dana had nice things to say about ICHIBAN (formerly SUSHI BAY) at 10490 Ridgefield Pkwy and Paige reported on THAI DINER TOO at 3028 W. Cary, while Zack talked a lot about wine tastings at FLEMINGS PRIME STEAKHOUSE in Stoney Point Fashion Park. He also talked about a new chocolate concoction by Chef

Marcel Desaulnier at THE TRELLIS, 403 Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg.

Zack says PASTA LUNA has opened its Martini Bar at the new location, 5000 Commomwealth Pkwy, and that a musical quartet will be on hand each Friday beginning at 7PM.

-------

Enjoy BACCHUS tomorrow, checkplease, and give us a report please.

Edited by burt

Today's RTD Restaurant news by Dana, Zack and Paige was heavy on the oriental side. Dana had nice things to say about ICHIBAN (formerly SUSHI BAY) at 10490 Ridgefield Pkwy and Paige reported on THAI DINER TOO at 3028 W. Cary, while Zack talked a lot about wine tastings at FLEMINGS PRIME STEAKHOUSE in Stoney Point Fashion Park. He also talked about a new chocolate concoction by Chef

Marcel Desaulnier at THE TRELLIS, 403 Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg.

Zack says PASTA LUNA has opened its Martini Bar at the new location, 5000 Commomwealth Pkwy, and that a musical quartet will be on hand each Friday beginning at 7PM.

-------

Bacchus was pretty good last night, although a friend informed me that many of their noteworthy menu items were not included on the Restaurant Week menu, mainly their white pizza (which she loves). The only disappointment was that every entree came with the same sides: garlic mashed potatoes and a medley of veggies.

I was impressed by the number of choices though: at least 12 appetizers/salads, 8 entrees and 3 desserts. Many other restaurants participating in RW offer 2 choices in each category.

I had seared rare ahi tuna with wasabi and soy vinaigrette...insanely good, especially considering Bacchus is mostly Italian. Another highlight was sauteed calamari with olive oil, lemon, white wine and tons of garlic. Chocolate peanut butter pie for dessert...perfect.

-------

My Dad used to sell crapake mushrooms to the Trellis. If you've never had Marcel's "Death by Chocolate" cake you're missing out on a little slice of heaven!

On a side note, he also used to sell to Jimmy Snead when he ran Windows in Urbanna and the Frog and the Redneck here in Richmond. Though he's pretty much out of the business now he stills keeps in touch now and again with Dale Reitzer the owner/head chef at Acacia who was Jimmy's sous chef for a while. I have yet to go to either of his ventures here in Richmond though. I've heard lots of good things about Acacia but don't know much about Six Burner.

I think Checkplease told us that Reitzer has no further connection with SIX BURNER. I've had lunch a couple of times at ACACIA and enjoyed it very much. It's a funny kind of place sort of intermingled with other businesses in that former church space as I recall.

Do you have any info, Ric75, about what Jimmy Snead is doing these days? I don't think things worked out for him in Las Vegas, but I hope he finds another space in Richmond.

Edited by burt

Norfolk's esteemed VIRGINIA CLUB, a bastion for well-to-do gentlemen since 1873, is going public - well, sort of. The Club's restaurant in a handsome bank building at Granby and Main streets will open its doors to gourmands for dinner. Lunch will still be a private affair. All that's required is semi-casual dress and a lot of dollars for an elegant repast. Owner/Operators Vince Ranhorn and Todd Leutner will call the space TRILOGY. The pair manage FUSION 440 in Portsmouth and VELVET 25 in Norfolk. Apparently they have an affinity for numbers - 25, 440 and TRILOGY.

Another plus for the Granby corridor in Downtown Norfolk! :)

Edited by burt

I think Checkplease told us that Reitzer has no further connection with SIX BURNER. I've had lunch a couple of times at ACACIA and enjoyed it very much. It's a funny kind of place sort of intermingled with other businesses in that former church space as I recall.

Do you have any info, Ric75, about what Jimmy Snead is doing these days? I don't think things worked out for him in Las Vegas, but I hope he finds another space in Richmond.

No I haven't heard any recent news about Jimmy. He was a genius in the kitchen but apparently very tough to work with.

I had to LOL at the "crapake" mushroom in my last post. I was wondering how on Earth I spelled it that way but it looks like a naughty word filter changed the first four letters. :rofl:

Completely off-topic, I get an error message EVERY time I login and post here. Anyone else have this issue?

No I haven't heard any recent news about Jimmy. He was a genius in the kitchen but apparently very tough to work with.

I had to LOL at the "crapake" mushroom in my last post. I was wondering how on Earth I spelled it that way but it looks like a naughty word filter changed the first four letters. :rofl:

Completely off-topic, I get an error message EVERY time I login and post here. Anyone else have this issue?

No, I've had no problem logging in.

Coupe sometimes uses your spelling, but he wasn't referring to mushrooms! See his entry dated Sept. 10th referring to a JULIAN's specialty.

:rofl:

Edited by burt

They make crap dip at Julian's?!? :sick::rofl:

Any gorgonzola cheese fans in here? I had my very first gorgonzola dish at Europa and it was fantastic. I've had it twice since then, once at the Olive Garden and once at Edo's Squid and it's been a less than pleasant experience. Are there particular places that make it better than others or is gorgonzola just a fickle type of cheese?

They make crap dip at Julian's?!? :sick::rofl:

Any gorgonzola cheese fans in here? I had my very first gorgonzola dish at Europa and it was fantastic. I've had it twice since then, once at the Olive Garden and once at Edo's Squid and it's been a less than pleasant experience. Are there particular places that make it better than others or is gorgonzola just a fickle type of cheese?

Isn't Gorgonzola the Italian equivalent of blue cheese? I'm pretty sure all of it is imported.

I hope coupe is not mad at me about his Julian's comment. He hasn't been on site all day. I love you, coupe; don't be mad. I just couldn't help myself! LOL!

Edited by burt

haha burt if I got mad about humor I'd be in for a rough life :lol: I actually woke up pretty late today after last night. Then I was out eating/grocery shopping. Not much news to report anyways... ate at penny lane pub on Friday btw... and while the food wouldn't be world renowned, it's great pub food. My dad had fish and chips (the slab of fish was huuuuge) and I had a Sheppard's/Cottage Pie. Very gooood.

Oh, coupe! I'm so glad you're back!!!

Why don't you tell everyone who doesn't know about PENNY LANE PUB - both its former location on 7th street and the new very attractive place at 5th and Franklin. I've had snacks and beers there, but never enjoyed a Sheppard's Pie.

Also tell about the second level behind and above the bar - or have I already done that!?? :lol:

And while you were in the neighborhood, what notes did you take about the John Marshall Residences?

And who and what and where was the concert you attended?

Edited by burt

John Marshall... it was about 7:30 at night when we went to PLB so all I could see was the construction fence up around it...

The new Penny Lane location is fantastic. I believe it's in what was a former bank. The entrance has a beautiful ornate fountain. The exterior almost has a New Orleans appeal to it. However, inside you feel like you're in an authentic pub, fresh out of the UK. My dad is an acquaintance of Terry (the owner) and I know my grandpa would always talk him up for hours at the bar when he was over from Wales. The food was good (what you would expect from a pub) and the wait staff was fine. Only bad part of the night was when we overheard a couple english guys bad mouthing Wales for pretty much no reason... My dad didn't take to kindly to that (being from Wales), but so is the atmosphere of a pub eh?

We didn't go upstairs on Friday but from what I remember it had pool tables and perhaps a smaller bar up top.

The best thing about Penny Lane is the great selection of beers on tap.