Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

I'm wondering if Jimmy Snead (formerly of FROG AND THE REDNECK) is involved.

Checkplease, can you elucidate? :)

Sorry, guys, I like to think I'm up on the Richmond restaurant scene, but you've got me on this one. We're talking about the old bank building, right? Last I heard Jimmy Snead was trying to figure out what to do after the restaurant at the Wynn in Las Vegas didn't pan out.

And who's Charlie? He is another contributor?

According to last week's column by Zack on the restaurant page of the RTD, Richmond has no listings in the Zagat Guide. Seems odd, IMO, especially in light of the fact that LEMAIRE has a 5-diamond rating in AAA Tour Books, not to mention many other local restaurants worthy of mention.

There's a terrific bio/story about Michelle Williams and her Restaurant Empire in today's Style Weekly. She started out as a cocktail waitress at The Tobacco Company, then, after culinary courses at J. Sergeant Reynolds, became chef at THE ISLAND GRILL on 18th street in the Bottom. With friends and the financial help of her father and the father of her partner, she and her collaborators opened the immensely popular HARDSHELL CAFE in what has become an extension of Shockoe Slip east of 14th street on Cary.

Next came EUROPA, then LUCKY LOUNGE and CHA CHA CANTINA, all connected by backstairs hallways and alleys to HARDSHELL.

THE HILL CAFE at 27th and Broad was also on the list of expansion and fills a neat niche in eclectic Church Hill.

The latest to open is MICHELLE'S in Hanover Tavern in the former Barksdale at Hanover Court House.

Next, scheduled for opening in the Spring, is a diner/lounge in the burned out remains of Southern Comfort on West Main Street in the Fan.

What a gal! Thank God Richmond has her, though she's considerering opening HARDSHELL CAFE's in other cities as well.

Edited by burt

burt...tried to send you an email but it says it's having trouble getting it to you.... never seen a return like that before. It was weird...

By the way, I didn't dine out for this BUT, let me just say that to get your hands on Mrs. Fearnow's Brunswick Stew up here in NoVa costs an arm and a leg! I was sick earlier this week and I thought a taste of home would cure my ills, but I had to pay like $4 for a can of it at Giant!!!! Good thing I feel better now! geez!

That's odd, coupe. Just walked in and had a slew of e-mails but none from you. Of course, I read the exciting Centennial thread before coming here. Is Joey the only one who heard it on Channel 12?

So glad to hear that Mrs. Fearnow's Brunswick Stew cured your ailments. It really is tasty. I guess it's all that squirrel meat that has made the price shoot up! Hahahaha.

Can you believe this thread is the second most visited on the Richmond UP Forum? We have just entertained our 5,505th visitor surpassing Vistas on the James as number 2.

If you guys and gals enjoy it, you'd better start thinking of someone else to take charge, because I'm going to be otherwise engaged with other projects very soon.

Why doesn't some kindred spirit start a similar thread in Hampton Roads? You folks have some wonderful dining-out epicurian spots that warrant discussion. :)

Edited by burt

The word "epicure" in the above slot puts me in mind of a charming and delicious restaurant that used to be on Forest Hills Blvd just west of Westover Hills Blvd called EPICURE, if memory serves. It existed maybe 3 or 5 years in the 1960s-70s and was a delightful dining experience.

Seems to me I just read somewhere that another restaurant is opening at that location in the strip, and that it is not just "another" diner, but something kinda special. Any comments?

Before LA PETITE FRANCE and shortly after Liquor-by-the-drink was legal in Virginia, Richmond's first sophisticated French restaurant opened on Jahnke Road on the Southside. I visited and enjoyed it frequently, but damned if I can remember the name - Renaissance, maybe? No, but it began with an "R".

Who can refresh my memory?

Come on, folks! Participate! And if my comments have been too high flown, bring it down to another level. This is obviously a thread that attracts the curious and I want to see comments about "eatin' out in Metro Richmond".

Anybody besides me ever been to the NORTH POLE? TANGLEWOOD ORDINARY? Both are in Goochland on Rte. 6 (Patterson Avenue extended) about 12 miles west of 288. Incidentally, TANGLEWOOD, though a profitable family-style restaurant in one of the largest log-cabin commercial buildings in Virginia, is for sale for less than $900,000, and that includes all the restaurant equipment in the building as well as a 1500 s/f residential house next door. Better put your bids in early! :D :w00t

TANGLEWOOD I believe, had a rather colorful past. At one time in the 60's or 70s, I was told it was a gay dance hall for gals and their friends. It's hard to imagine enough gay gals in western Metro Richmond to support a remote Goochland dance hall. But if they did, God Bless them! Anyway, they were displaced by "Family" dining which packed the hall, especially on week-ends. "Pass the black-eyed peas, please"!!!

Edited by burt

haha burt I believe that those restaurants were before my time... otherwise, I'd be glad to chime in :lol:

There's a pretty good sub shop chain up here called "Potbelly's".... very good subs and good atmosphere. It would be cool to see one DT...

NORTH POLE isn't past your time, coupe. It's still there ar Sabot. They have an electric train running around the top of the bar, and they serve up huge steaks (be sure to ask 'em to go easy on the salt). No pretensions there. Just kinda fun and pretty good food. You'll probably get outta there reasonably under $85.00 for two with a couple of cocktails, unless u really like booze.

I just ate at a good restaurant in powhatan called Italian Delight it was really really good. My cousin is a host/waitress their. She really made me find a new favorite restaurant.

Welcome, Joey! You don't often chat on this thread. You're still in your teens (I think 16, right?), so when we talk about cocktails, beer and booze, remember that we are old farts who are not the best examples for youth!

Powhatan is not famous for restaurants. There is a wonderful "private" mill on Fine Creek on Rt.711 that has been lovingly restored. It now houses an extremely attractive club that met a lot of resistance when it was proposed. Now, it is is very successful and is used most often for private functions.

Across the road (rte. 711) is an incredible early 18th century foundry that was purchased by a wonderful artist named Julian Binford and his magical, nobilility-titled French wife Elizabet. Julian produced beautiful works - portraits and murals that are of World renown!!!! His works were hot items in East 57th Street Galleries in New York and elsewhere.

That property has since been purchased by a man name Timmons and he has built homes beginning at $500,000 to the multi millions.

Edited by burt

I think a while back, when I was a lot younger, I ate at the Manakin Grill in Goochland.. maybe sort of near the North Pole? lol the restaurant that is...

No. Despite its name, MANAKIN GRILL is at 12912 Plaza Drive just north of Broad Street Road (US250) near Oilville...maybe 2 miles west of 288.

NORTH POLE is in the village of Manakin/Sabot on Rt. 6 (Patterson Avenue extended) about 10 miles west of 288 and near the rolling hills and farmland tended by prisoners at The State Farm. Further up the road is US522 east of Goochland Court House. 522 crosses the James into Powhatan via the Maidens Bridge, but for those in the know, there's a secret one-lane bridge east of 522. You have to twist and wind through the prison grounds, and while I'm sure the guards don't like it, they can't legally stop traffic in the area.