Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

I enjoy reading Dana Craig. Today, she gave a B+ rating to CARLTON'S at Robinson and Floyd in The Fan. Formerly it was known as Konsta's (and formerly formerly, it was known as Cavedo's Drug Store where I had my first part-time job as a soda jerk at age 14).

I think Dana writes with wit and perception.

Another of my favorite restaurant critics goes by the name of Davis Morton. Style Weekly trots him out when there's an especial opening.

I've always enjoyed Davis Morton's reviews, so I was surprised to see his return to writing recently. I thought he had stopped writing for Style. It seems most restaurants in town proudly display his assessments. Does anyone know if he plans to continue writing?

Davis Morton (un nom de plume, je pense, if you'll pardon my French) should charge top dollar for his comments. He is unquestionably tops in the field. He disappeared from the scene, but now, once in a while, he's back. :) If I'm not mistaken, he is not unknown in culinary and government circles in Washington.

Edited by burt

I moved from Richmond in 1979. Just thought it might be interesting to list restaurants that I recall from that period and which are still operating under the original names or newly named in same locations. For space reasons, the ones I recall are listed in paragraph form with no addresses and are culled from Style Weekly listings:

WEST END: Byram's; Extra Billy's; La Petite France; Peking; Philip's Continental Lounge; Skilligalee.

SOUTH SIDE: Half Way House; Swift Creek Mill Theatre (though not truly a walk-in restaurant in 1979).

CARYTOWN: Farouk's House of India; New York Deli (temporarily closed); The Track.

DOWNTOWN: Beauregard's Thai Room in the former location of Poor Richard's, so it has remained a restaurant; 4th Street Cafe; 3rd Street Diner (?).

THE FAN: Bogart's; Buddy's Place; Commercial Tap House; Joe's Inn; Julian's; Village Cafe; Wooden Spoon (though it was Il Pagliacci and Nick's prior to the new incarnation).

GOOCHLAND: Fox Head Inn.

MIDLOTHIAN: Crab Louie's;

NORTHSIDE: Dot's Back Inn (I think!); Glenn's Tavern.

SHOCKOE SLIP: Barlowe's Terrace at the Omni or restaurant/bar at this locatiion; Fusion (or Matt's Pub); Peking Pavilion; Sam Miller's (formerly The Warehouse); The Tobacco Company.

That concludes my short memory of restaurants (or sites) at least 25 years old.

Edited by burt

Checkplease, have you been researching the prospects for 1005 East Main Street? What kind of restaurant do you think may occupy the premises? Do you think Jimmy Snead may be involved?

No, I haven't heard anything about it! I asked some of my friends who share my restaurant obsession, but they didn't know either. Periodically, I read the business licenses in Metro Business. You can get a jump on new openings that way.

I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Enjoyed your listing of restaurants that have been around since 1979. It's nice to know that Richmond supports local establishments. Speaking of long-lasting restaurants, do you know what happened to Sal Frederico's? It closed this summer with no explanation other than "vacation" and never reopened.

Davis Morton likes ANDRE'S GRILL. His review in today's Style Weekly brims over with superlatives. And if Davis Morton says it worthwhile, it's good enough for me. The restaurant, amid the bereft Southside dining scene, is at Rockwood Plaza, 3511 Courthouse Road. You'd better call 804/276-8677 for reservations, and plan an early evening because Andre and wife/hostess Fanny close shop at 9:30PM.

I've heard great things about this restaurant... it seemed to open to little fan fare but the critics raved, and now it seems to do pretty well.....

I know it's not up there with Lemaire, but my favorite Mexican restaurant is on the southside as well.... Don Jose is awesome. Inexpensive, but fantastic food. The atmosphere is good and the employees are very friendly... They are constantly full (except on Mondays when they are closed)...

I've heard great things about this restaurant... it seemed to open to little fan fare but the critics raved, and now it seems to do pretty well.....

I know it's not up there with Lemaire, but my favorite Mexican restaurant is on the southside as well.... Don Jose is awesome. Inexpensive, but fantastic food. The atmosphere is good and the employees are very friendly... They are constantly full (except on Mondays when they are closed)...

Coupe. What's the address of Don Jose? Or, at least, general location?

Coupe. What's the address of Don Jose? Or, at least, general location?

I'd like to know where Don Jose is as well. It's been recommended to me (as a Mexican food lover). For some reason I think there are several locations (?)

Speaking of Mexican, has anyone tried Cielito Lindo on Forest Hill Avenue? I think it's been open about a year. Good enchiladas with verde sauce. Yum.

it's in a shopping center at the corner of Turner and Hull...not the best shopping center, but that doesn't stop people from as far away as Mechanicsville and the West End from going to Don Jose....

I guess once I'm out of school and have a steady income, I'll be able to enjoy the fancy meals you guys laud. Until then, my Don Jose suits me just fine :)

it's in a shopping center at the corner of Turner and Hull...not the best shopping center, but that doesn't stop people from as far away as Mechanicsville and the West End from going to Don Jose....

I guess once I'm out of school and have a steady income, I'll be able to enjoy the fancy meals you guys laud. Until then, my Don Jose suits me just fine :)

Oh please! Cielito Lindo is not expensive at all! In fact, their $3 margarita happy hour and a basket of chips suits me just fine.

Check out the website:

http://www.cielitolindomexicanrestaurant.com/ :D

I like the web sites you post from time to time, checkplease. Cielito Lindo looks very attractive.

What about this CHIPOTLE I hear about? They seem to be popping up everywhere - even here in Manhattan.

Coupe is waiting to spend his big bucks at COYOTE UGLY in the company of Eric. That's OK, coupe. Splurging once in a while is good for the soul. :lol:

hahaha it is until I look at my bank account the next day :lol:....... Chipotle is actually pretty good IMO.... HUGE burritos is basically the menu. Don't even think about leaving room for dessert!

It's basically fast food with a flare, not to mention you can buy imported mexican beer to wash down your monster burrito with. In fact, it was (maybe still is) owned by McDonald's.... I know they were trying to spin it off though. Don't know what happened with that. There are probably about 5 or 6 in Richmond right now.

hahaha it is until I look at my bank account the next day :lol:....... Chipotle is actually pretty good IMO.... HUGE burritos is basically the menu. Don't even think about leaving room for dessert!

It's basically fast food with a flare, not to mention you can buy imported mexican beer to wash down your monster burrito with. In fact, it was (maybe still is) owned by McDonald's.... I know they were trying to spin it off though. Don't know what happened with that. There are probably about 5 or 6 in Richmond right now.

Ah, fast food burritos. So many to choose from. Chipotle is slowly taking over, not only Richmond, but the world. However, my favorites are Baja Fresh (newly opened out at Short Pump) and Qdoba (the first fast food burrito joint to hit Richmond in Chesterfield Towne Center). And for you, Burt, you can go to www.bajafresh.com or www.qdoba.com.

To jump to the complete opposite side of the dining world, I heard a rumor that 1 North Belmont, the schwanky French place, is closing. It's located across the street from the Belmont Library a block outside of Carytown in a building that I believe has been a curse for every restaurant that has occupied it. Burt, www.1northbelmont.com :D

I've only eaten there once, and I could have purchased a month's worth of groceries for the price of the check for two. However, it was amazing food. It left me wondering if the location (far from the downtown hotels that keep restaurants like Morton's in business) would end up killing it. It has received high praise across the board, but when I drove by there today, it looked closed.

I'm dismayed by the closing rumors re: 1 N BELMONT. Was the house full the night you were there, Check? I thought they were doing turn-away business. Hasn't that location hosted only one other restaurant?

In a cheerier (and cheaper) note, Dana Craig gave an A- to a popular family-run ristorante (which is not pretentious enough tp spell it that way). It's called CARINI'S ITALIAN RESTAURANT at 3718 Williamsburg Road, 804/222-0715. Dinner for two at a total cost of $47.00 including shared apetizer, 2 entrees, shared dessert, alcohol, tax and tip. I'm gonna go there on my next trip.

Thanks, check, for the websites. I'll go visit them now. :)

Edited by burt

Didn't get anywhere interesting on the GDOBA site, but enjoyed BAJAFRESH.COM. I note that they are almost exclusively in Nova, except for Richmond (is it near Arby's and the Regal cinemas on Pouncy Tract?) and the announcement of one coming soon to Lynnhaven (Va. Beach).

Check, are you familiar with LEGAL SEAFOOD out of Boston? I've wondered if it might not be a good fit for Riverside on the James, or maybe the 1005 E. Main site. They have a restaurant on M Street (I think) in D.C.

While we're on this Tex/Mex subject, what does anybody have to say about the BAJA BEAN CO. in the old Stonewall school building at Lombardy and Main? It's kinda of a neat ambiance (or was when last I was there and it operated under a different name). Nice (and I think) very popular patio.

Edited by burt

While we're on this Tex/Mex subject, what does anybody have to say about the BAJA BEAN CO. in the old Stonewall school building at Lombardy and Main? It's kinda of a neat ambiance (or was when last I was there and it operated under a different name). Nice (and I think) very popular patio.

Baja Bean does have a great patio when it's warm (something Richmond doesn't have enough of, I'd say), but my experience with the food has been awful. I'd go for a margarita with friends after work, but as far as dinner is concerned, I've had too many bad meals.