Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

The next person to visit this site will flip us over 4000 views!! This one is 3999! :)

The only thing I know about Legal Seafood is that the one in Reagan National airport in DC seems overpriced for sitting halfway out in the terminal. I haven't actually eaten at one though.

I have heard another terrible rumor! Stella's is closing supposedly! I need to find out more, but it's a Fan classic...and Davis Morton just talked it up in Style.

Checkplease, your closure rumors are depressing me!! STELLA'S was Anthony Hopkins favorite while he was shooting "Hanibal" in Richmond. He dined there often.

Remember when Stella was where EDO'S SQUID is now? When she closed down that location she was in retirement for a while, but came back with her namesake Main Street Fan store. Maybe this is just another hiatus. :)

Edited by burt

I've often wondered, check, why the infamous VILLAGE CAFE, which figured nationally in the Taylor B. disappearance, moved from the s/e corner of Grace and Harrison to the s/w corner years ago?

But more than that! Why has the original VILLAGE CAFE (s/e corner) remained vacant ever since?

I swilled many a beer in the original spot in my old VCU (read RPI) days. :)

Edited by burt

Checkplease, your closure rumors are depressing me!! STELLA'S was Anthony Hopkins favorite while he was shooting "Hanibal" in Richmond. He dined there often.

Remember when Stella was where EDO'S SQUID is now? When she closed down that location she was in retirement for a while, but came back with her namesake Main Street Fan store. Maybe this is just another hiatus. :)

So, this is what I heard: Stella's husband (?) is ill and she doesn't want to run the restaurant anymore. A former pastry chef (no idea who) in town has purchased the restaurant but plans to change it. This is what my friend told me who goes to P.T. Hastings all the time. They provide the seafood for Stella's. I don't know why the Giavos continue running it. They have the magic touch with restaurants (Kuba Kuba, Sidewalk Cafe, 3 Monkeys). Gossip!

I wish I knew when Stella's was where Edo's is now. I haven't lived in Richmond that long. I've also never been to the Village Cafe. I didn't realize it had so much history. Sad that it got publicity after the Taylor Behl case.

So rumor mills are evil things! I emailed the chef of 1 North Belmont through the restaurant's website to find out what was going on. He said they are celebrating their one year anniversary Oct. 29 and hope to celebrate many more. Rumors of closing are simply not true. Thanks goodness!

Whew!! I am relieved. Did everyone hear that? 1NORTH BELMONT is preparing to celebrate its first anniversary; thus rumors of its demise are much exaggerated.

Rumors can be damaging. When the Original Bookbinders in Philadelphia closed for a while, word got around that the Richmond store was folding. It was even reported in a publication I shall not name. Philadelphia's shop reopened, and the Richmond operation continued to flourish. In fact, an outpost opened on Alverser Drive just west of CTC. Viva OLD ORIGINAL BOOKBINDERS in Tobacco Row!!!

On one of my visits to Bookbinders, I was told that Richmond was the only expansion but there were plans to open in Chappel Hill, but I believe that expansion was abandoned.

Whew!! I am relieved. Did everyone hear that? 1NORTH BELMONT is preparing to celebrate its first anniversary; thus rumors of its demise are much exaggerated.

Rumors can be damaging. When the Original Bookbinders in Philadelphia closed for a while, word got around that the Richmond store was folding. It was even reported in a publication I shall not name. Philadelphia's shop reopened, and the Richmond operation continued to flourish. In fact, an outpost opened on Alverser Drive just west of CTC. Viva OLD ORIGINAL BOOKBINDERS in Tobacco Row!!!

On one of my visits to Bookbinders, I was told that Richmond was the only expansion but there were plans to open in Chappel Hill, but I believe that expansion was abandoned.

Yes, rumors can be so damaging for restaurants. I feel terrible for passing one along...I just wanted to find out if it was true!

You brought up Chapel Hill, NC. Have you been there before? I lived there for four years and really enjoyed it. It's a small college town that has its own personality outside of UNC. Carrboro, the small town practically connected to Chapel Hill on the west, has a wonderful restaurant called Crook's Corner. If you blink, you'll miss it but they make the most wonderful shrimp and grits. It's a nice restaurant with quality chefs but very laid back and casual.

MILLIE'S, the restaurant on just about everybody's top-10 list, is going to be surrounded by upscale housing. Forest City, developer of River Lofts, is building a line of row houses on Main street between MILLIE'S and Pear street, one block to the east. The Lucky Strike building on Cary between 26th and Pear is being gutted in preparation for upscale apartments and/or condos. Some of the Lucky Strike luxury units will have their own private elevators, it has been reported.

So, we have MILLIE'S, OLD ORIGINAL BOOKBINDERS, SETTE and the new kid on the block, SENSI, anchoring the East Main/Cary restaurant corridor.

Main will look awesome once Cutter's Ridge is complete! BTW bookbinders is fantastic. They have a lump crab meat that is to die for! same goes for their lobster mashed potatoes!

The bookbinders Grill in Midlothian probably compete's with Ruth Chris's Bottega Bistro just down the street at the Shops at Bellgrade.

How do you suppose Forest City came up with the name "Cutter's Ridge"?

Canal Lofts (I think that's the name of the converted warehouses between 19th, 20th, Cary and Main) at one time talked of getting an upscale Italian restaurant for their property. I wonder if that was SENSI which is now in River Lofts down the street?

Also, about Canal Lofts - the nicest and most coveted building in that group is the tallest one at n/w corner of Cary and 20th. I think it was originally where Chesterfield cigarettes were made. When I last checked, I couldn't see any construction activity there. Does anybody have an update? It's the tallest building (7 stories) along Tobacco Row and has great windows.

Edited by burt

Bookbinders is actually expanding into the space beside it (banquet hall as per the building permit).

I love the Village. Before I could drink (legally), my friends and I would drink gallons of coffee there about 5 nights a week. We'd pool our money and buy some baked brie, sit for hours and dream of being celebrity artists one day. Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill" and Prince

Bookbinders is actually expanding into the space beside it (banquet hall as per the building permit).

I love the Village. Before I could drink (legally), my friends and I would drink gallons of coffee there about 5 nights a week. We'd pool our money and buy some baked brie, sit for hours and dream of being celebrity artists one day. Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill" and Prince

Edited by burt

Well, I had my first (and last) Bubble Tea today. It's an Asian delight with tapioca pellets. Mine was green tea with milk over tapioca. One of our party had taro root tea (over tapioca) that looked like purple wall paper paste. She liked it.

I was much disappointed partly because I was expecting one of those exotic mideastern water pipe contraptions. But it's nice to try new things - especially for us oldsters approaching dotage. :)

Off tonight to a fancy south-of-the-border establishment called ROSA MEXICANA near Lincoln Center. It is great having rich relatives!! Tomorrow, it's a matinee of THE LION KING followed by dinner at GOTHAM BAR AND GRILL in The Village.

And coupe, if you're reading this, my nephew-in-law has agreed to approach Bow Tie on Monday to see if they can give us any information about their plans for 3rd and Main.

Another set of rich relatives is due early December and they are taking me dancing at THE RAINBOW ROOM atop Rockerfella Center.

:)

While we are talking about restaurants/bars/etc, I want to say that I happened to watch the tryouts for the Coyote Ugly bar dancers for the bar in Austin, TX on CMT the other night! Boy, did I like that!! :w00t: If Richmond can land a bar like this at the power plant/ROTJ, it would be quite awesome! BTW, any news on this or was it just all "hearsay" to begin with? Just wondering.

Edited by eandslee

Epheme on RCW is soliciting comments about Virginia food favorites.

I mentioned SALLIE BELL'S KITCHEN on Grace between Pine and Laurel. Brent and Checkplease, you guys probably know about it. Great box lunches!! Whenever I return to NYCity on the train, I always go by and pick up one for my meal on the rails. Sandwiches, devilled egg, cheese snack, cupcake (usually two - one chocolate and the other caramel) and the best potato salad anywhere. If you haven't been there, run, don't walk to SALLIE BELL'S. :)

The original name of the place was Sarah Lee and I think the big company now known by that name paid Sallie Bell's for it, thus the new name for the independently owned Richmond store.

Edited by burt

Morgan on RCW is soliciting comments about Virginia food favorites.

I mentioned SALLIE BELL'S KITCHEN on Grace between Pine and Laurel. Brent and Checkplease, you guys probably know about it. Great box lunches!! Whenever I return to NYCity on the train, I always go by and pick up one for my meal on the rails. Sandwiches, devilled egg, cheese snack, cupcake (usually two - one chocolate and the other caramel) and the best potato salad anywhere. If you haven't been there, run, don't walk to SALLIE BELL'S. :)

The original name of the place was Sarah Lee and I think the big company now known by that name paid Sallie Bell's for it, thus the new name for the independently owned Richmond store.

Argh, I have to admit, I don't like potato salad or deviled eggs! Naturally, I have a bias against Sallie Bell's, however, I'll agree, the cupcakes are amazing. If you're considering boxed lunches for the working crowd, I recommend A Moveable Feast. They have the most delicious carrot cake...served in Saran Wrap! Ha. The iciing is the perfect combination of sugar and cream cheese. I love it!

On more exciting fronts, I just got back from Cafe Lafayette for Restaurant Week. Incredible! I love the fact that you're driving through a cute little neighborhood and all of a sudden you're standing in front of what looks like a dry cleaner. But then, you receive an incredible meal!

I had saffron-fennel soup with Prince Edward Island mussels to start. Creamy but light, flavorful yet not too rich. Eastern Shore crab cakes with sweet corn and Virginia ham for an entree. Heaven...a little heavy on filler but the corn/ham combo more than made up for it.

And then the signature bourbon-pecan "Hooch Cake" (heavy on the bourbon!) with pumpkin ice cream for dessert. Divine! They'll serve it with egg nog ice cream in the coming weeks.

My dining companinon had pan-roased oysters with spinach, bacon and cream, Bistro steak with truffle-mushroom demi-glace and the most decadent white chocolate mousse, served in a creme brulee dish with dark chocolate spiral on top.

And to think! I had never been there before. And added bonus was a completely friendly staff. We talked about our cats until we were the last people in the place. Wonderful. My new "must try" restaurant for Richmond (even though it's been around for a while).

Tell us about the decor at CAFE LAFAYETTE. Is it elegant, plain, kitschy? Does it have a full bar and good wine list? Was there a good crowd tonight?

Sorry you don't like potato salad, check. But have you tried SALLIE BELL'S version?

What other restaurants are on your schedule this week?

Coupe, I hope you plan to take the g/f out this weekend to one of the participating restaurants.

Edited by burt

I think the next time me and the g/f can check out one of these restaurants is when I get the 'honor' of paying full price.... I'll be home this weekend for a concert with my dad, and she won't be there. And, being that my dad is from Wales, I'm almost positive we'll hang out/eat at penny lane pub before the concert.

Considering all I had to eat tonight was ramen noodles, then a chicken tender sandwich and chips.... I'm just a tad jealous of your meal check! I'm actually disappointed I read it because now my mouth is watering!!