Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Hey! We've had 53 hits since this morning. Vdogg, you ought to find someone to do this kinda thread in HR. Obviously people like to read about dining out in their areas. :)

Checkplease, what's the name of the restaurant in the old Henry Clay Hotel at the train station in Ashland. Could it be called Patrick Henry Inn since it's near Scotchtown and Hanover Tavern, two of the old guy's haunts?

I don't think the restaurant at the Henry Clay Inn has an actual name. In fact, I don't think many people even know it's there. Most people think of wedding receptions when they hear Henry Clay Inn rather than a Friday night date. However, I have eaten at their restaurant several times and have not been disappointed. The entrees are not complicated, just simple and tasty. If you can dine there in the warmer months, I suggest reserving a seat on the big wraparound porch. Here's the link to their website (with menus) below.

http://www.henryclayinn.com/

Check, do you have any info for us on the former bank building at 1005 East Main? See our discussions about it dated 9/15 and 9/16 (at present on pages 9 and 10, but you can't rely on page numbers for reference, because they fluctuate). There are also pictures of the building a little bit further along in the thread.

Check, do you have any info for us on the former bank building at 1005 East Main? See our discussions about it dated 9/15 and 9/16 (at present on pages 9 and 10, but you can't rely on page numbers for reference, because they fluctuate). There are also pictures of the building a little bit further along in the thread.

I saw the photo of the building you're talking about back in the earlier post. I'm not sure about this one. I'll ask around and see what I can find out. This stretch of downtown needs some more restaurants! Capital Ale House is about all that's there, and I definitely consider their beer better than their food. Seems like that area is the wasteland between the restaurant-rich Fan and Slip.

I saw the photo of the building you're talking about back in the earlier post. I'm not sure about this one. I'll ask around and see what I can find out. This stretch of downtown needs some more restaurants! Capital Ale House is about all that's there, and I definitely consider their beer better than their food. Seems like that area is the wasteland between the restaurant-rich Fan and Slip.

I think this location and the building itself cry out Luxury Dining!! Maybe another FROG AND THE REDNECK by you know who!!!

:)

Though it has nothing to do with dining, great news just broke that Jet Blue will begin NYC (JFK)-RIC service in March. Means I can go back and forth more often and sample Richmond's growing restaurant scene! :lol:

When you say wasteland netween Fan and Slip, Check, don't forget that Lemaire lies in that territory - arguably one of if not THE best in the area.

Well, it turns out you were right about Mr. Patrick Henry's, Burt. I just picked up Style and there is a note in Side Dish about Jacqueomo's opening. It mentions chef Jimmy News and the sous chef Adam I had referenced before.

Oh! I would never discredit the Jefferson's dining. Honestly though, Lemaire is much too rich for my liking...rich in the sense of heavy sauces, not monetary value! I definitely agree that it is one of the finer restaurants in town with the best chefs around, but I personally enjoy lighter dishes. Acacia is much more my style.

I'm not sure if any of you like sushi, but I found Style's review of Nara (in the former Cafe Mandolin space) very interesting. I ate there shortly after it opened (yes, when I say enjoy lighter dishes I do mean sushi as well). It was absolutely atrocious! I am pretty open-minded when it comes to restaurants, but this place was just plain filthy...definitely a quality I don't look for when enjoying raw fish. I vowed never to go back there again, and I was curious what the reviewers would have to say about it. Ugh.

Checkplease, when were you last at LEMAIRE? I haven't been since 2000, but I thought I had read that the menu had been recently "lightened" - more toward nouvelle cuisine. In any case, it's a lovely place for dinner.

Speaking of Acacia, have you tried their SIX BURNER in the Fan?

Sorry to hear about NARA. It's the off-shoot of a Newport News Japanese restaurant. I always liked the Cafe Mandolin space and it always looked clean under that management. I'm not fond of sushi, but I understand that there's another OSAKA at River Road Shopping Center (the new section nearer the river) and that it got good points for sushi and ambiance.

I have been to the bar of KOBE JAPANESE STEAK HOUSE on 13th street in The Slip. Great martinis, and I would have liked to have stayed for dinner, but my date turned up her nose at Japanese fare. They have a Sushi bar and hibachi tables on the lower level.

Now I'm off to check out today's Side Dish column. Is Deveron Timberlake a man or woman? Difficult to tell by name at STYLE WEEKLY. For ages I assumed Brandon Walters was a gentleman only to discover that she's a gentle and brilliant lady! LOL. :)

Edited by burt

Checkplease, when were you last at LEMAIRE? I haven't been since 2000, but I thought I had read that the menu had been recently "lightened" - more toward nouvelle cuisine. In any case, it's a lovely place for dinner.

Speaking of Acacia, have you tried their SIX BURNER in the Fan?

Sorry to hear about NARA. It's the off-shoot of a Newport News Japanese restaurant. I always liked the Cafe Mandolin space and it always looked clean under that management. I'm not fond of sushi, but I understand that there's another OSAKA at River Road Shopping Center (the new section nearer the river) and that it got good points for sushi and ambiance.

I have been to the bar of KOBE JAPANESE STEAK HOUSE on 13th street in The Slip. Great martinis, and I would have liked to have stayed for dinner, but my date turned up her nose at Japanese fare. They have a Sushi bar and hibachi tables on the lower level.

Now I'm off to check out today's Side Dish column. Is Deveron Timberlake a man or woman? Difficult to tell by name at STYLE WEEKLY. For ages I assumed Brandon Walters was a gentleman only to discover that she's a gentle and brilliant lady! LOL. :)

Hey Burt,

I last went to Lemaire last year, and yes, it has been "lightened" to more nouvelle cuisine. But, I still found it too heavy. I had a peanut soup, which was quite good, but so rich, I thought I might have a heart attack after!

I have been to Six Burner several times and been disappointed. I assumed since Dale Reitzer was behind it, it would be a laid-back version of Acacia, but the food was not worthy, in my opinion. Dale, apparently, just got out of Six Burner to concentrate on Acacia. He sold the place to a lawyer (not sure who) but the chef remains.

Osaka is absolutely wonderful. I had a great dinner there. I was with people who are not sushi fans, and Osaka's other entrees and steaks were equally as impressive as their sushi, in both taste and presentation. I highly recommend it to anyone. I thought Kobe was too much "big city" snobbery. The hibachi was nothing noteworthy and the sushi rolls were measely compared to my hole-in-the-wall favorite, Akida, right off Broad near Julians.

Deveron Timberlake, I believe, is a woman. She always has very imformative Side Dish columns.

I'm off to try the Ironhorse in Ashland for the first time this weekend. I've heard so many great things, that I can't believe it's taken me this long to try it out. Have you ever been? How often do you make it back to Richmond to try the restaurants?

I get back to Richmond only about twice a year, but am fascinated by the growing restaurant scene in my old home town.

Yes, had dinner at IRONHORSE about three years ago and enjoyed it very much. In addition to good food, it's fun watching the trains whiz by just outside the windows along Ashland's main street.

How about DOGWOOD uptown on Main?

I get back to Richmond only about twice a year, but am fascinated by the growing restaurant scene in my old home town.

Yes, had dinner at IRONHORSE about three years ago and enjoyed it very much. In addition to good food, it's fun watching the trains whiz by just outside the windows along Ashland's main street.

How about DOGWOOD uptown on Main?

Watching the trains whiz by on the porch of the Henry Clay Inn (about a block down from the Ironhorse) is also quite nice.

I just ate at Dogwood Grille about 2 weeks ago, and it was heavenly. And the menu has quite a sense of humor (seared tuna is described as lounging in a pool of sauce, etc). Roger Lord, one of the owners, helped open Meridian 42 in the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

I had the pleasure of dining at Meridian over Labor Day. That place easily smokes many of the restaurants in Richmond as far as creative cuisine, top-notch (yet not at all pretenious) service and wonderful atmosphere. Check out the website:

http://www.meridian42.com/

Watching the trains whiz by on the porch of the Henry Clay Inn (about a block down from the Ironhorse) is also quite nice.

I just ate at Dogwood Grille about 2 weeks ago, and it was heavenly. And the menu has quite a sense of humor (seared tuna is described as lounging in a pool of sauce, etc). Roger Lord, one of the owners, helped open Meridian 42 in the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

I had the pleasure of dining at Meridian over Labor Day. That place easily smokes many of the restaurants in Richmond as far as creative cuisine, top-notch (yet not at all pretenious) service and wonderful atmosphere. Check out the website:

http://www.meridian42.com/

Mmmmmm. MERIDIAN 42 sounds wonderful. If ever I get back to the Outer Banks, will certainly try it.

I was taken to TRICK DOG in Irvington last December and really enjoyed it.

I enjoy reading Dana Craig. Today, she gave a B+ rating to CARLTON'S at Robinson and Floyd in The Fan. Formerly it was known as Konsta's (and formerly formerly, it was known as Cavedo's Drug Store where I had my first part-time job as a soda jerk at age 14).

I think Dana writes with wit and perception.

Another of my favorite restaurant critics goes by the name of Davis Morton. Style Weekly trots him out when there's an especial opening.

Edited by burt

I hope Beas at Bottom's Up has a gilt frame around this paean of praise from Richmond dot com and displays it for all to see at the more-than-ever popular pizza mecca in the Bottom.

Keep your eyes peeled and your noses sniffing, Newport News. Pizza Heaven on Earth is heading your way soon. :silly:

Edited by burt