Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

the entrance outside of SENSI looks very good. Isn't there also a Sette near Sensi?

by the way...it's really good to hear about all these restaurants popping up on Broad St. Along with the condos, I think it's a key part in Broad's comeback!

Si. There's a SETTE near SENSI :lol: SETTE a Pizza/Martini reestaurant done in a smart minimalist style, is just north of Main on 23rd. SENSI is at the corner of 23rd and Cary.

Did SENSI appear to be open for business, Coupe?

Re: West Broad. Has anyone any information on a new restaurant in the Popkins Building at Jefferson street catty-corner from COMFORT?

Edited by burt

TWENTY SEVEN (sometimes earlier referred to as WINDOWS 27) is close to opening, judging from recent comments heard elsewhere. The new restaurant at 27 West Broad (corner of Adams) has connections to operators of LA GROTTA in The Slip.

If any contributors have further information, please enlighten us.

And what is the status with SENSI in Tobacco Row?

Here's what I have on Sensi. It's open!

SENSI: 2222 E. Cary Street

Contemporary Italian utilizing fresh local ingredients.

Upscale casual dining with entrees from $16.95-$32.95.

Open for Dinner: Mon-Thurs 5pm-10:30pm; Fri-Sat 5pm-11pm

Bar & Lounge Open: Mon-Sat 4:30pm-12am

648-3463

Secured complimentary parking available at the corner of 24th & E. Cary

Street; Also Valet Parking available Thursday-Saturday

Top restaurant critic, Davis Morton, dined twice (dinner once then lunch) at CARIBBEAN MINGLES at 15-17 West Main - a block east of the Jefferson Hotel.

Jamaican is the prominent food fare here, though standard selections are also available. Mr. Morton was impressed with his meals, but had little to say about the restaurant's ambience and service.

It plans to add Island style musical entertainment in the near future and remain open to the wee hours on weekends.

I am also a huge fan of Davis Morton. If he likes it, I know it's good. I read his review of Caribbean Mingles and I agreed with his assessment of the food. I've eaten there twice, both times for dinner. The food was unique for Richmond, and everything I sampled (jerk chicken, tilapia, callaloo) was extremely flavorful.

It's interesting you bring up his lack of comments on the atmosphere and service. Those are what turned me off during my visits. The depressing lighting and horrid service ruined the experience. Maybe it's improved since I've been.

Welcome back, Checkplease.

Thanks for info on SENSI. Try it out and report back, please.

And whilst you're out, snoop around and see what you can verify about TWENTY SEVEN and POPKINS. That's your mission, if you choose to accept it. :shades:

See Coupe in the front office for expense money.

Edited by burt

Well, it's two down for Dana Craig! For the second week running, she has been unable to come up with anything higher than a C rating. MARTINI KITCHEN AND BUBBLE BAR on West Main near Meadow with its cocktails at $14 per did not mellow her group of diners who found the menu offerings, decor and service less than perfection.

My favorite Governor, Mr. Warner, and a large party dined there recently and when a fan approached, the Guv rose and in so doing knocked a glass of water on the floor.

Zack's Table Talk column today reports that a pork chop has been named in his honor by a west end restaurant.

This building on Main St is awesome...it's the one I mentioned earlier in the thread.... and it's being converted into a restaurant. Just found out on RCW... I think it's circa 1919:

043se25_main142.jpg

There's been considerable chatter about this building of late. Some report that the windows below the arch have been removed and that the revolving door is gone replaced by a new door recessed about 8 feet.

What's going on? Is a restaurant opening about to occur?

Checkplease, Coupe and all other locals please do your research and report back to us excited out-of-towners. :)

The address is 1005 East Main, across from the Federal Court House (old one) and next door to the Heritage Apartments at 10th and Main.

Edited by burt

only other thing I can find is that this is the entity opening the restaurant:

Roman Development, LLC

Ring any bells for anyone? not me...

Get thee to this week's Side Dish in Style (I know the secret boxes that deliver the paper on Tuesday night). :)

The bank building mystery is solved. Mo Roman, of Roman Development I assume, is opening a place called Mo's. The huge bar and fancy decor is already in place, and it's set to open in January.

Welcome back, Checkplease.

Thanks for info on SENSI. Try it out and report back, please.

And whilst you're out, snoop around and see what you can verify about TWENTY SEVEN and POPKINS. That's your mission, if you choose to accept it. :shades:

See Coupe in the front office for expense money.

i've had drinks and appetizers over at sensi a couple times now and the food is fantastic. they seem to have a few kinks to work out (the menu appears to have been written by a semi-literate and the bartender is a weasel), but i'm hopeful that this restaurant will help keep people coming down to the area.

yeah, i putter by this site now and then. there was a positive write-up on the restaurant papaningo in style weekly this week. i haven't been in there yet, but hopefully it's doing well. they also have a weird menu, though, with a mix of central american food and burgers and such. you'd think they would just settle on their cuisine and call it quits, but i guess everyone has their own ideas...

http://www.styleweekly.com/article.asp?idarticle=11411

as for shockoe in general, i would have to say that there are a remarkable number of empty spaces in shockoe slip, especially on the south side of cary street. they have put some window decorations in for christmas, which is nice, but i'm amazed there's so much retail space available. i don't know if they jacked up rents for the block and then realized there's no real demand for retail, but it's pretty bad. i would say there are a full two blocks of empty storefronts. and considering that the area is not huge, that's pretty significant.

I noticed a few empty storefronts along the slip when I was down there taking pictures, but I don't recall it being about 2 blocks. There is a building (I think it's just east of Tobacco Company) that could use some sprucing up. It's been empty for some time. Also, there was a vacancy or two across from Peking. The slip has a special allure, so I'm sure that it won't sit vacant for too long. You may be right about jacking up rents, perhaps it turned away prospective tenants? I'm not sure of the rates though.

I read that article about the Dominican Restaurant that just opened... I saw that they serve goat meat there... wonder what that's like? ahh well.

Burt must be extremely busy today :)

OK, Burt's back but can't stay long.

Checkplease, you carried out your mission in a commendable way. The boss may give you a raise. :lol: MO's name may be changed to FATTY J's which is the tag Romano uses at his Fredericksburg restaurant properties. If it has to be EITHER of those unappealing names, I'd go with MO's. According to reports, the property will be first class in every way except IMO for its name.

Bankrupt, Welcome to our humble site. I hope it's not your visits to all those expensive bistros in the Slip and the Bottom that have influenced your nom de plume. LOL.

Is SENSI as attractive inside as we've heard? Is the Italian menu slanted more to Northern cuisine than Southern? Is it drawing many diners thus far?

You are, sadly, so very correct about your assessment of vacant space in The Slip. What can be done to turn it around?

I looked into PAPANINGO on my visit to Richmond last September. It was lunchtime and they had steam tables filled with aromatic offerings and customers served themselves.

How is JACQUEOMO's doing at 18th and Franklin?