Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

My sources for restaurant news are pretty barren this week. Deveron's Style Weekly column is pretty thin, and Zack's Table Talk in the RTD got booted online and was replaced by his column from the previous week.

I'll see what I can dig up. Meanwhile, how about some contributions from you folks? Brent once in a while has a few pithy comments, including his apetite for the burgers at 4th Street Diner. What do you think of the new Martini and Bubble Bar uptown on Main, Brent? And I still want to know what Bubble Bar and Bubble Tea mean!!! :lol:

Oooh, you missed a good Table Talk then. I hope you got to read it. It's Restaurant Week Oct. 24-30, my favorite week of the year. Here are the participating restaurants:

Acacia, 3325 W. Cary St., (804) 354-6060

Amici Ristorante, 3343 W. Cary St., (804) 353-4700

Bacchus, 2 N. Meadow St., (804) 355-9919

Cabo's Corner Bistro, 2053 W. Broad St., (804) 355-1144

Caf

Checkplease, thank you! Since I live in NYCity and don't get hard copies of the RTD, I read the paper online. Unfortunately, Zack's Table Talk column was a reprint of the previous week's news (dated Sept. 29th) about "eating in October". There must have been some slip up in the online "composing room".

In addition to Dana Craig's piece on the CHESDIN LANDING restaurant, Boz Boshen did a mini review on a new spot with a long winded name - RIBS, ROLLS & CHEESECAKE. It's at 802 West Broad next to Taqueria Loco and is open late. Boz liked it and said he would return in a New York minute.

CHEZ LAFAYETTE, to which I made reference Aug. 11th on page 5 of this thread, is about a year or two old, and if I'm not mistaken, occupies what used to be Lafayette Pharmacy on the street of the same name just below Thos. Jefferson High School. I've not been there, but have read some very nice comments about its French inspired menu. Is it CAFE Lafayette or CHEZ Lafayette? I thought the latter, but guess I'm wrong.

Wish I could read all of Zack's Table Talk story about up-coming Restaurant week. Of the participating restaurants, there are only two that I've omitted in my commentary - they are GRAFITI GRILL and HONDO'S. I've eaten in both of them, and each is excellent - Grafiti in a fun way and Hondo's in a traditional style. Both are recommended as are all the listed restaurants.

Edited by burt

BOTTOM'S UP PIZZA, which recently reopened after last year's disasterous flooding, had a small scare yesterday when fire broke out near a stove in the kitchen. The lunch crowd was evacuated and no one was harmed, and the fire department soon had everything under control. The popular restaurant sustained about $5000 in damage and re-opened by 5:30PM.

Viva Beas and BOTTOM'S UP! :alc:

Edited by burt

Checkplease, thank you! Since I live in NYCity and don't get hard copies of the RTD, I read the paper online. Unfortunately, Zack's Table Talk column was a reprint of the previous week's news (dated Sept. 29th) about "eating in October". There must have been some slip up in the online "composing room".

In addition to Dana Craig's piece on the CHESDIN LANDING restaurant, Boz Boshen did a mini review on a new spot with a long winded name - RIBS, ROLLS & CHEESECAKE. It's at 802 West Broad next to Taqueria Loco and is open late. Boz liked it and said he would return in a New York minute.

CHEZ LAFAYETTE, to which I made reference Aug. 11th on page 5 of this thread, is about a year or two old, and if I'm not mistaken, occupies what used to be Lafayette Pharmacy on the street of the same name just below Thos. Jefferson High School. I've not been there, but have read some very nice comments about its French inspired menu. Is it CAFE Lafayette or CHEZ Lafayette? I thought the latter, but guess I'm wrong.

Wish I could read all of Zack's Table Talk story about up-coming Restaurant week. Of the participating restaurants, there are only two that's I've omitted in my commentary - they are GRAFITI GRILL and HONDO'S. I've eaten in both of them, and each is excellent - Grafiti in a fun way and Hondo's in a traditional style. Both are recommended as are all the listed restaurants.

Hey Burt, thanks for the tips on Cafe Lafayette. I called to get the menu for Restaurant Week and they are serving their "signature" hooch cake with pumpkin ice cream. I've heard rave reviews as well, so I think I'll check it out.

Other buzz around town:

Cha Cha's Cantina (the latest from the people that own HardShell, Europa, Lucky Lounge, etc.) opened on Monday in the former home of Rivah Bistro in the Slip. A friend said it was pretty good, especially considering she went the first week and didn't experience any "newly opened" growing pains. Check it out: www.chachascantina.com

Jacqueomo's, the New Oreleans-inspired place in the old Awful Arthur's space in the Bottom, supposedly had a soft opening last weekend. I haven't been by to see if it's actually open, but I'm curious. The chef, Jimmy News, used to be with the Patrick Henry Inn.

And, Escabar, the new Mediterranean/Martini bar at Libbie and Grove, should be opening any day now. There's an "opening soon" sign in the window, and the interior looks ready to go with tables and hip decor. The chef used to be over at the Trick Dog Cafe in Irvington. Can't wait to try this one out.

Hey, Checkplease! Thank God you'ver joined us. Please contribute whenever you can.

I wrote a little something on 8/9 (page 5) about Escabar, and mentioned what I knew at the time (8/24 - page 7) about Jacqueomo's and Cha Cha Cantina, but many thanks for bringing us up to date.

Somewhere in all of these pages, I wrote about a new restaurant , with celebrity chef, that is taking over MaMusu's location near Fielden's, Emilio's and Cabo's Corner on West Broad. It's a verrrry unusual name that I cannot remember at the moment (tho it's somewhere in here). Do you know anything about it?

And what do you hear about SENSI in River Lofts at Tobacco Row? I peeked in early September and it looked close to ready. It's the new elegant offspring of FRANCO'S RISTORANTE.

Hey, Checkplease! Thank God you'ver joined us. Please contribute whenever you can.

I wrote a little something on 8/9 (page 5) about Escabar, and mentioned what I knew at the time (8/24 - page 7) about Jacqueomo's and Cha Cha Cantina, but many thanks for bringing us up to date.

Somewhere in all of these pages, I wrote about a new restaurant , with celebrity chef, that is taking over MaMusu's location near Fielden's, Emilio's and Cabo's Corner on West Broad. It's a verrrry unusual name that I cannot remember at the moment (tho it's somewhere in here). Do you know anything about it?

And what do you hear about SENSI in River Lofts at Tobacco Row? I peeked in early September and it looked close to ready. It's the new elegant offspring of FRANCO'S RISTORANTE.

Burt, I think you're talking about Enoteca Sogno, the new restaurant opening in Ma Musu's old space. It's supposed to serve "European" cuisine and have an extensive wine bar with French and Italian cheeses. Gary York is the one opening it. An old Table Talk listed him as a former chef at Edo's Squid, but a correction ran later than he was a server there.

Because I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of a decent wine bar in town (there seem to be so many martini bars now but no wine bars...), I called a few weeks ago. I assume the man who answered the phone was Mr. York. He said he was hoping to open by the beginning of October but he is battling with ABC permits right now. He did not sound happy. :(

As for Sensi, I know it should be opening any day now. A recent "who's who" article in the paper described some sort of gala (a fundraiser? I can't remember) catered by Sensi. The article said Sensi hoped to open mid-October.

Do you know anything about a new restaurant planned for the Adams and Broad area? I think Style had a small write-up on it not long ago. It's a joint venture between La Grotta's chef/owner, sous chef, headwaiter, and Amici's chef/owner. I remember the name is something to do with the address.

Yes. It is called WINDOWS 27 in the old Korman Furniture store at Adams and Broad (across from The Renaissance). You're right about the chef/owners who are affiliated with La Grotta and Amici. I believe it's near to opening!

Also, on the next corner west, at Jefferson and Broad diagagonaly across from COMFORT, will be a new restaurant in (and I believe called) POPKINS. It too is the ground floor of a reclaimed furniture store. I don't have any info on who is involved, but Downtown Dave who contributes on RCW may know.

Almost all of those old furniture stores from Foushee to Jefferson streets on Broad have been or are being converted to residential.

ENOTECA SOGNO!!! Is it any wonder I couldn't remember the name? LOL. I sure wish Gary York good luck and success.

SENSI, I think, is going to be quite suave. A gold metallc curved tracked curtain divides the chic bar/lounge from the dining areas, and I believe the menu will feature Northern Italian dishes unfamiliar to a lot of Richmonders. It's address is 2222 East Cary on the street level of River Lofts at the corner of 23rd and Cary.

Check out SETTE a block up the hill on 23rd from Sensi. Not pretentious, but sleek with a nice garden adjoining.

Edited by burt

Slow news day, so I decided to check out the readership. There are 30 subjects listed on the Richmond Urban Planet page. As of a moment ago, Richmond Development is the hottest thread with 14,154 hits; Vistas on the James follows with 4,827, and guess which topic ranks 3rd?!!! That right, RICHMOND DINING OUT SCENE is the third runner-up with 3,281 readers.

I'm surprised more city forums don't have a similar thread. :)

Checkplease, in our discussion above of JACQUEOMO'S (pronounced Jocko-mo's), you said that Jimmy News used to be with Patrick Henry Inn. Where is that? Do you possibly mean the former MR. PATRICK HENRY'S which is now ACAPELLA at 23rd and Broad?

Edited by burt

Checkplease, in our discussion above of JACQUEOMO'S (pronounced Jocko-mo's), you said that Jimmy News used to be with Patrick Henry Inn. Where is that? Do you possibly mean the former MR. PATRICK HENRY'S which is now ACAPELLA at 23rd and Broad?

Hmm, you could be right. I got a fax at work about a function being held at Jacqueomo's. It said Mr. News was formerly with Patrick Henry Inn. I'm thinking it must be the Acappella space because I'm unsure of anything else with a similar name.

Another bit of info on Jacqueomo's: the sous chef from the Hardshell will be moving over there. His name is Adam, so I've heard. I don't have a last name.

Hey! We've had 53 hits since this morning. Vdogg, you ought to find someone to do this kinda thread in HR. Obviously people like to read about dining out in their areas. :)

Checkplease, what's the name of the restaurant in the old Henry Clay Hotel at the train station in Ashland. Could it be called Patrick Henry Inn since it's near Scotchtown and Hanover Tavern, two of the old guy's haunts?

Edited by burt

how do you know how many hits we've had? I've always wondered that. I'm sure it's right under my nose... unless you just added up the page views :lol:

Do you mean "Views" does not reflect the number of people looking at the thread? Is a view not a hit? If not, what is a hit? And what makes the number in the view column keep rising?

I've always said I'm not very swift at computerese!

:lol:

lol 'view' is how many people looked at/read a particular thread/topic. I didn't know if you knew of something else. I think we are both confused lol

Maybe a "hit" means an actual reply, not just a scan of the thread. But it seems to me if someone is attracted enough by the title of a thread and looks at it, that in my dictionary is a HIT. Anyway, I still think people are tuning in even if they leave in disgust, though I truly hope that is not the case!

:lol:

Vdogg, what IS the definition of a hit, please sir? And don't give us any of that Godfather crap - we KNOW what that kind of "Hit" means! LOL

Edited by burt