Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Nice report, coupe. Where'd you get all that information?

Yes, that's the bridge I was speaking of - just one lane a curb and no guard rails. It connects the two prisons - the one in Goochland and the other (much bigger) in Powhatan. Don't take your eyes off the road to enjoy the scenery or you might end up in the river. :lol:

Checkplease! How about your weekly report? Where did you dine? :)

Hey Burt

Unfortunately, I didn't eat anywhere new this weekend, just my old favorite the Hill Cafe. It does me right every time.

I'll give a better update next time I discover something new. All that's on my mind right now is my mother's fabulous stuffing.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Hey Burt

Unfortunately, I didn't eat anywhere new this weekend, just my old favorite the Hill Cafe. It does me right every time.

I'll give a better update next time I discover something new. All that's on my mind right now is my mother's fabulous stuffing.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Mmmmm. Oyster dressing?

Time for comments on our pal Dana Craig's restaurant review in today's Entetainment Section of the RTD.

I always look forward to reading Dana, because, for one reason, she's usually funny. Not much humor today. She and Eric visited HALF WAY HOUSE at 10301 Jefferson Davis Hwy. To us old folk, that's Petersburg Turnpike (US 1), and by the five-numbered street address, you'll probably understand that it's half way between Richmond and Petersburg.

Dana gave it a C+ rating without enthusiasm. For a Tavern established in 1760, one would hope for a golden dining experience if, for no other reason, that its longevity would add cachet. Dinner for these two was $129.00 - not exhorbitant by Richmond standards, but one does expect something special from longevity, doesn't one? I ate there years ago and am sorry to say that Dana's and my evaluations have not gone beyond C+.

And the witty Zack, who shares the page with Dana, reports that THE BRASILIAN CAFE in the cellar of Stuart Court at 1600 Monument Avenue (the neglected apartment tower on Stuart Circle - my comment, not Zack's) has called it quits.

LIMANI at 3123 W. Cary in Carytown, he reports, has been visited by three Governors (well 2 and 1/2, since Tim has not yet taken up residence in the Governor's Mansion). Tim and family partook of LIMANI'S reported extraordinary seafood the night after election results were announced. I've heard good things about LIMANI's food, but some not-so-hot comments about slow and not very attentive service. Anyway, they now serve lunch as well as dinner.

Melissa Rugierri (spelling?) whose main job is to report on Richmond's and the Nation's Music Scene for RTD, sorta liked EXTREME PIZZA at 941 W. Broad. I think this is one of the new eateries at the ground level of Ramz Hall.

Zack also said that CAFE GUTENBERG at 17th and Main welcomes Francophiles who prefer to converse en francais every vendredi, and if your preference is Spanish, come on down every jueves.

Interesting reports from Deveron's Style Weekly column indicate that:

a) - the former Chetti's Cow and Clam on 17th street across from the market will morph into a new creation by the purveyors of ZUPPA. Adam Schumm and Bryn Purser are redesigning the spot that will be called THE GREEN OLIVE MARTINI BISTRO. The interior court yard of the former Chetti's apparently will be a focal point. Look for an opening early next year.

Activity along this stretch of 17th will also provide us with a totally new RIVER CITY DINER soon, and there are rumors of other dining possibilities. Is a new ball park also in the offing? ^_^

b) - MOJO'S, currently on Cary at Pine (or is it Laurel?), will expand its horizons with a more subdued version at 8908 Patterson Avenue.

Edited by burt

Speaking of Governors (see the comments on LIMANI a couple of posts above), I've heard that Mark Warner has been known to visit some of Richmond's restaurants and watering holes and mingles easily (or as easily as security allows) with fellow patrons. I believe I read somewhere that he and a few pals visited BUDDY'S on Robinson Street in the Fan once.

He's a neat Guv and guy, IMO. :)

couple updates that I noticed..... They are putting up paper in the windows of the Southern Railway building, I'm assuming for the new restaurant planned for over there. Looks like the entire 1st floor will be used.

Looks like there is going to be some work going on inside of ROTJ soon for those new commercial tenants.

couple updates that I noticed..... They are putting up paper in the windows of the Southern Railway building, I'm assuming for the new restaurant planned for over there. Looks like the entire 1st floor will be used.

Looks like there is going to be some work going on inside of ROTJ soon for those new commercial tenants.

Well, I guess Henry on the other forum was right. I'll have to go over there and apologize for arguing otherwise.

I could be wrong... but I don't remember seeing it there before. Not all the windows are covered yet, but I could see the rolls laying on the ground inside. The building is totally empty inside. It's pretty much a shell. theyll have to build the bathrooms, kitchen, and storage areas, unless they plan on them being upstairs?

I could be wrong... but I don't remember seeing it there before. Not all the windows are covered yet, but I could see the rolls laying on the ground inside. The building is totally empty inside. It's pretty much a shell. theyll have to build the bathrooms, kitchen, and storage areas, unless they plan on them being upstairs?

I think Henry said that Ukrop's bank occupies the second story as well as the second floor of the Turning Basin Building (the levels are connected).

As someone pointed out, STOOL PIGEON'S just down Dock Street is a little over 7000 s/f, and its interior looked very big to me. So if the new Cafe in the Turning Basin complex is to be 6000 s/f, it will be a sizable operation. Sounds like possibly another destination spot!

Edited by burt

Did you see any plump ladies lining up for job interviews at The Power Plant? :rofl:

Top restaurant critic, Davis Morton, dined twice (dinner once then lunch) at CARIBBEAN MINGLES at 15-17 West Main - a block east of the Jefferson Hotel.

Jamaican is the prominent food fare here, though standard selections are also available. Mr. Morton was impressed with his meals, but had little to say about the restaurant's ambience and service.

It plans to add Island style musical entertainment in the near future and remain open to the wee hours on weekends.

Edited by burt

The tongue twister, ENOTECA SOGNO, is now open at the former Ma Musu, 2043 West Broad. Gary York holds sway as owner and operator with his lady friend Amy Thornburg. The two have stripped the walls to bare brick and added color to the spot. Translated from the Italian, ENOTECA SOGNO means, roughly, "wine bar dream" according to reports from Deveron Timberlake in Style Weekly. Offerings besides Italian, French and Spanish wines include gnocci (a kind of potato pasta dumpling), antipasti, crostini and salads. Recorded European jazz may be heard while noshing and sipping - Tuesdays thru Saturdays.

Bon chance, Gary and Amy!

BLEU BISTRO, in the former JEWISH MOTHER at 8982 Quioccasin Road near Regency Square, will open soon. Its interior, apparently, will reflect the restaurant's name in color scheme.

Edited by burt

TWENTY SEVEN (sometimes earlier referred to as WINDOWS 27) is close to opening, judging from recent comments heard elsewhere. The new restaurant at 27 West Broad (corner of Adams) has connections to operators of LA GROTTA in The Slip.

If any contributors have further information, please enlighten us.

And what is the status with SENSI in Tobacco Row?