Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

OK, my friends. Worldcoupe has an excellent plan to help catalogue, catagorize and simplify our restaurant reporting. It, basically, would list eaterys we've discussed (and ones we haven't) by area similar to Style Weekly's listing. I'm not sure we should do such a comprehensive list; perhaps just those restaurants that have thus far been discussed on this thread, and expand on that in subsequent discussions.

Unfortunately, I'm not available to spend a lot of time on this, but would be pleased to hear comments of readers and participants.

There is no question that this thread is popular with readers (over 5000 hits) and while I haven't visited many UP forums, I know, for instance, that Hampton Roads has nothing similar.

What do you guys and dolls think?

Edited by burt

My favorite reviewer has a modestly favorable commentary on the new French bistrot, RACINE'S, on Robinson Street between Hanover and Stuart Avenues in the upper Fan.

Davis Morton had a pleasant evening there, and one can hardly ask for more than that on a cool autumn evening in a cozy, intimate spot.

I'll be in Richmond for a couple or three months starting in January and RACINE'S will be on my dining-out list.

Meanwhile, Checkplease, why don't you drop in for a French taste? I have a sneaking suspicion that a former favorite waiter who charmed patrons in the late 1960s-70s at LA PETITE FRANCE is involved here.

Edited by burt

STYLE says that TONIC on 18th street in the Bottom is re-opening under new management soon. The owners/operators of CHERRY LOUNGE, the successful spot in the Ramada Inn near Regency Square off Parham Road in the medium-to-far West End, are reviving TONIC.

Excuse my "medium-to-far west end" reference, but this area used to be rural, but is now sort of mid-town between 6th and Broad and West Creek! Hahahaha.

Olde Town in Petersburg, God bless it, is reviving, and the latest addition is WABI SABI, a live music room and restaurant. If you approach P'burg from the US-1 bridge, turn right at the south end of the bridge and you'll be on Bollingbrook Street. Look sharp left and you'll see WABI SABI.

The old Farmers market and other attractive buildings are nearby. Visit!!

Edited by burt

ESCABAR, the reincarnation of du JOUR at 5806 Grove Avenue near the Westhampton Theatre "On the Avenues", has been open for a couple of weeks and is packed with customers.

What is it is with all these French restaurants in Richmond?!! One might confuse it with Georgetown in D.C.!

Do you suppose that Diplomats think it is the Capital of the CSA and that they are required to establish Embassies here? LOL

Edited by burt

What is it is with all these French restaurants in Richmond?!! One might confuse it with Georgetown in D.C.!

Because regardless of what Rush Limbaugh and dittoheads say, the French rock! :thumbsup: Of course I am a little biased since my Mom is from there.

I've only managed to visit Can Can once and haven't visited any of the other French places here. I think I will have to check La Petite France next time. What are prices like?

My favorite reviewer has a modestly favorable commentary on the new French bistrot, RACINE'S, on Robinson Street between Hanover and Stuart Avenues in the upper Fan.

Davis Morton had a pleasant evening there, and one can hardly ask for more than that on a cool autumn evening in a cozy, intimate spot.

I'll be in Richmond for a couple or three months starting in January and RACINE'S will be on my dining-out list.

Meanwhile, Checkplease, why don't you drop in for a French taste? I have a sneaking suspicion that a former favorite waiter who charmed patrons in the late 1960s-70s at LA PETITE FRANCE is involved here.

I'm dropping in with my French taste.

I've eaten at Lemaire once, and I found it too rich. Extremely good, but I wanted to pass out at the end of the meal.

1 North Belmont is absolutely incredible in every way (pampered service, creative interpretations of classic dishes), but it's out of my price range to frequent as much as I'd like.

Can Can has finally calmed down, and I enjoy going there for the liveliness. In the beginning, I couldn't stand the crowds. Both lunch and dinner are quite good and the prices are reasonable considering the atmosphere.

Never been to Racine's (sweetbreads aren't my thing) or La Petite.

Ric75, LA PETITE FRANCE at 2912 Maywill Street in an industrial section near the Anthem Health complex off of Staples Mill Road is exceptional! And quite expensive, but worth every penny.

Sweetbreads is not the only dish on RACINE'S menu, Checkplease. I'm expecting a report from you soon! :)

Edited by burt

LEMAIRE, at the 5-star 5-diamond Jefferson Hotel On Franklin at Adams street in downtown Richmond was again awarded AAA's 5 diamond restaurant rating. It and THE INN AT LITTLE WASHINGTON and MAESTRO at the Ritz Carlton in McLean are the only 5-diamond restaurants in the state of Virginia.

Also, after only one year of pleasing Richmond diners, 1 NORTH BELMONT has been awarded four diamonds by the AAA. THE DINING ROOM AT THE BERKELY in Shockoe Slip retains its 4-diamond AAA rating.

Edited by burt

Word going around is that the operator of SAL FEDERICO'S has allegedly absconded to his home in South America, never to return. When it closed for its annual 2-week vacation, personnel had no idea they had worked their last shift at the popular restaurant.

At last report, the restaurant and all its furnishings are gathering dust at Staples Mill Road near West Broad Street.

Edited by burt

Word going around is that the operator of SAL FEDERICO'S has alledgedly absconded to his home in South America, never to return. When it closed for its annual 2-week vacation, personnel had no idea they had worked their last shift at the popular restaurant.

At last report, the restaurant and all its furnishings are gathering dust at Staples Mill Road near West Broad Street.

Oooh, rumors! Where'd you hear that? I've heard so many people wondering what the heck happened. It closed for vacation and never reopened. No sign, no nothing.

Oooh, rumors! Where'd you hear that? I've heard so many people wondering what the heck happened. It closed for vacation and never reopened. No sign, no nothing.

I got it from a pretty good source, oddly enough, over dinner at an Osteria here in New York. But note, I used the word "allegedly".

Why don't you do a little local digging, check? Maybe you can uncover more info.

Did you read the good items at bottom of previous page about AAA's diamond awards?

Edited by burt