Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Deveron Timberlake reminds us today in her Style column that CAFE GUTENBERG at 17th and Main in the Bottom isn't only a coffee house. They now offer full meal service in the $10 to $20 per entree range. What's more, Chefs Jen Mindel and Garrett Berry, recent graduates of New England Culinary Institute, are whipping up some delectible sounding menu treats. Gershom Wynn who bartended at KARSEN'S, METRO and the now closed ESCABAR is Front-of-the-House Manager at GAFE GUTENBERG.

More Deveron news:

BOGART'S is relocating from its smoky, down-the-alley backroom on Lombardy Street across from Mo Roman's Spanish Tapas bar known as SI. Next month, BOGART'S dedicated music fans will find a larger and less smoky venue at 1903 West Cary. It's in the same block as MARTINI KITCHEN & BUBBLE BAR and within hailing distance of many Fan restaurants.

LOUISIANA FLAIR at 4th and Grace has lines of regulars out on the street Wednesday mornings waiting to savor the Cafe du Monde style beignets. The Cajun/Creole cafe serves breakfast and lunch on weekdays and jovial owner Nathanial Sams is mulling the possibility of serving dinner starting one of these days.

Here's a nice piece from Daniel Neman of inRich about one of our favorites -- ZUPPA at 18th and Franklin in Shockoe Bottom:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...06-25-0015.html

Has anyone checked out CITY DOGS in the Slip? I believe it's in the former Granny Wade's location on East Cary near Virginia Street.

Haven't checked out City Dogs yet, but it seemed packed as I walked by on the way to Southern Railway Deli today. The decor seemed pretty decent from a distance as well. I'll hopefully check it out in the next week or so!

A third CAFE CATURRA will open soon at 5811 Grove Avenue. Meanwhile, Dana Craig has some very nice things to say about the Midlothian store in her RTD review today. I tried to bring it over here from inRich, but for some reason it doesn't work. Maybe I've lost my cut and paste technique. Also, I couldn't get the slideshow narrated by Dana to work. Maybe some of you will have better luck.

Edited by burt

Haven't checked out City Dogs yet, but it seemed packed as I walked by on the way to Southern Railway Deli today. The decor seemed pretty decent from a distance as well. I'll hopefully check it out in the next week or so!

City Dogs was pretty packed today and has a great-looking menu. They have barbecue and hamburgers in addition to hot dogs and their french fries looked pretty good too.

City Dogs was pretty packed today and has a great-looking menu. They have barbecue and hamburgers in addition to hot dogs and their french fries looked pretty good too.

Thanks for the updates, coupe and jbjust. Is CITY DOGS in the old Granny Wade space?

Here are a few random restaurant notes and reminders:

LEMAIRE, Richmond's only AAA 5-Diamond restaurant, will shut down in January of '09 for a complete make-over. When it reopens, it will have an entirely new look and a new name.

PESCADOS, the highly touted seafood restaurant in Midlothian, is still on track to open a second location in Oregon Hill. They are presently dealing with city licensing moguls. It will occupy what has been known as Hollywood Grill on Pine at China streets.

PATRICK HENRY PUB AND GRILL is open at the former Acapella's on East Broad at 23rd in Church Hill. They're still awaiting their liquor license which is expected soon if it has not already been issued.

FRANCO's way out west on Broad Street has closed. Its owners successfully operate SENSI in Tobacco Row at 23rd and East Cary. SENSI has somewhat cheapened its image, IMO, by recently adding unnecessary words to its name. It's now called SENSI ITALIAN CHOP HOUSE, but you won't catch me calling it anything but SENSI in future referrences.

KONA GRILL, an Asian-themed mega chain restaurant complete with salt water aquarium, will open one of its first East Coast operations in West Broad Village close to Whole Foods around January of '09. West Broad Village, to the uninitiated, is a huge residential/commercial development going up just west of the junction of I-64 and West Broad between Innsbrook and Short Pump Town Center.

A very popular chain called MC CORMICS & SCHMICKS (excuse me if I've misspelled it) will also open at WBV. McC&S has its roots in Portland, Oregon where it was quite famous before going national. It specializes in seafood.

For a city that has been short on Fruits of the Sea dining options, the chains are filling the gap. Another, known as ISLAMADORA is expected to be part of BASS PRO SHOP at I-95 and Lewistown Road between Richmond and Ashland.

Dana Craig is being short changed by the Times Dispatch production department of late -- at least on the inRich version of the newspaper. Accompanying info boxes have been incomplete in recent weeks, or as today, not even there. Her luke warm review of UMI SUSHI BISTRO doesn't list the address of the place nor its phone number. Dana describes it as being in a strip mall across from Short Pump Town Center.

GRIFITI GRILL at 403-B Ridge Road is closing. But, Bill and Amy Cabiniss, owners of JULEPS and CABO'S CORNER, will take over the premises in the far West End and reopen the spot in September. After a thorough gutting, the building will reopen as RIVERS RIDGE. Most entrees will be $20 or less.

I'm leaving New York City tomorrow for a week in my favorite place -- Richmond.

Happy Independence Day. See you all after I return to The Big Apple on July 14th.

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the list of restaurants I enjoyed last week in Richmond:

Monday - ROWLANDS for dinner.

Tuesday - BLACK SHEEP for lunch and LULU's for dinner.

Wednesday - PEKING (in the Slip) for lunch and AVALON for dinner.

Thursday - LOUISIANA FLAIR for lunch and ENOTECA SOGNO for dinner.

Friday - THE PHOENICIAN for dinner.

Saturday - MARSHALL STREET CAFE for dinner.

Not a bummer in the lot! :lol:

Edited by burt

I didn't stop in on my recent Richmond visit but drove by for a look-see. QUE PASA is an attractive corner bar and grill judging from its exterior. The new-ish cafe is reportedly having some difficulty attracting a following which may have resulted from its troubles in obtaining licenses and permits from the City and the ABC board.

The snappy looking little spot is at the five-points corner of 25th and M Streets in Church Hill.

Edited by burt

Dana Craig, the RTD's restaurant critic, visited twice but could find little to praise at BOTTEGA BISTRO in the shopping center at the junction of Huguenot and Robious Roads in Chesterfield.

The fabulous RUTH'S CHRIS STEAK HOUSE is next door, but its sheen apparently has not inspired BOTTEGA.

BOTTEGA BISTRO

11400 W. Huguenot Road in The Shops at Belgrade

Tel. 804/379-9899

Rating: One star

Web Site: http://www.bottegabistro.com

Tab for two: $77. On Dana's second visit, the tab was $37 for two.

Edited by burt

This has been reported in another thread, but it might bear repeating.

I was told during my Richmond visit that Mo Roman, purveyor of fun and good eating at BANK in the Financial District and SI in The Fan, is near to closing a deal for a restaurant on the ground level of Berry Burk on the s/w corner of 6th and Grace Streets. The place will be called PIE when it opens, which I suspect will coincide with the launching of Richmond Center Stage in the fall of '09.

Also, a restaurant "of national significance" is seriously considering a location across from PIE at the n/w corner of Grace and 6th in the newly renovated Miller & Rhoads Residences.

PATRICK HENRY'S PUB which has replaced Acapella at 23rd and Broad in Church Hill is the subject of some nice word-of-mouth. Eventhough the liquor license has not yet been delivered, Ginger Warder at Richmond dot com has written a very favorable review which generated great comments from readers.

Edited by burt

We've had some discussion about PATRICK HENRY PUB at 23rd and Broad in these pages. Here's a nice "Food Byte" by Colleen Curran from today's inRich about the popular Church Hill restaurant with its newly acquired liquor license:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...07-24-0208.html

Check out the web site accompanying the story.

Edited by burt

Dana Craig has found and likes the tiny new ALEX'S THAI RESTAURANT on 17th Street in Shockoe Bottom.

The Bottom is bubbling with new eateries/bars. There is HALLIGAN BAR AND GRILL; GLOBEHOPPER; the new rave LULU's, and I believe BISTRO 104 has re-opened on 18th street across from the new ZUPPA in its former location. Wonder what is happening with PAPA NINGO's expansion plans?

As Dana says, you might not want to make a cross-town trip just to sample ALEX'S, but she found it very appealing:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...07-25-0003.html

ALEX's THAI RESTAURANT

13 North 17th Street

Tel: 804/343-3934

Noise Level: Average

Tab for two: $31

Rating: Two and a half stars.

NOTE: Dana's reviews do no include alcoholic drinks nor (I believe) tips in the Tab for Two category.

However, I seriously doubt ALEX's has a bar in its tiny space.

Edited by burt