Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 5:27 PM, AronG said:

Yeah I'm a block from there and this fizzle is really disappointing. Back when it was still going, I talked with a neighbor who is an architect and had an inside scoop, and she had the impression that the developer was underestimating how much money it's going to take to get into that building and bring it up to code without damaging it.

If you view developments like this favorably, make sure and show up at the meetings to say so. He had a couple of community meetings and it always seems like my loudest neighbors are the ones who are convinced that any development is going to destroy the neighborhood in some type of unclear nebulous way, relating to crime or cars. It would be great if people were more constructive, because it's pretty clear that building is going to stay abandoned until someone is allowed to develop it into something that's more profitable than, say, the little retail strip behind the Post.

Agreed.  This parcel has commercial zoning already, so there is quite a range of things that could go in that building by right within the current zoning entitlements. 

At the community meeting that I held about a year ago, neighbors who were upset about proposals for this site were mostly upset about restaurant/bar uses, which are technically allowed already.  (I provided a list of those approved uses at the community meeting.)

The lack of parking is an issue for this and many other church building adaptive reuse proposals.  This site qualifies for generous parking requirement reduction waivers given its location within the UZO, along a sidewalk network and bus line.  But still, some parking is needed for virtually any use.  One issue that is arising with bars - or "limited service restaurants" - in properties next door to houses is not only customer parking but also and perhaps more importantly hours of operation and also the private waste haulers servicing the dumpsters in the wee hours of the morning. 

Note:  Lockeland Table sits on Woodland, which has more room for on-street parking, and also benefits from an off-street parking lot agreement across the street.  No such parking proximity is present for this site.

I personally favor an office or bed-and-breakfast-inn/boutique hotel use for this building, if anybody out there is listening.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

The 900 development of a mixture of condos and town homes at 900 Dickerson Pike gets approval from Metro.  Additional layout, map, and current look of property below. It's exciting to think what this whole corridor is going to be like in the next decade...especially if the River North project starts to click on the west side of I-24 and the proposed extension of Cleveland Street via bridge across the interstate into the Cowan Corridor is constructed. 

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20854217/mdha-approves-dickerson-road-project

The 900 condos:townhomes on Dickerson POike render, March, 2017.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 1.24.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 1.25.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 1.25.56 PM.png

• Like 3

On 3/9/2017 at 2:58 PM, WebberThomas4 said:

It looks like the 3-story mixed-use building going in at five points, The Eastsider, is moving forward. Here are the plans that will be presented to the Historic Zoning Commision on the 15th: http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2017 Meetings/3-15/SR 105 South 11th Street.pdf

Here is a new render for The EastSider building now with brick exterior.  Vote for approval happens tomorrow.

EastSider render, Mar, 2017.png

• Like 2

Updated article in NBJ about the proposed Ferris Wheel next to Nissan Stadium:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/03/16/a-ferris-wheel-for-downtown-nashvillemaybe.html

Here's a USA Today article listing the tallest ferris wheels in the United States. My guess is we would get one in the 180-200 foot range.  If we were to try and compete with La Vegas and New York for something in the 500-600 foot range, I think it would not go well with the rest of our skyline.

http://experience.usatoday.com/america/story/theme-parks/2015/04/03/five-tallest-observation-wheels-in-the-usa/25246313/

The Tennessean with more info about the potential Ferris Wheel:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/03/20/nashville-exploring-downtown-ferris-wheel-near-nissan-stadium/99416430/

Icon Attractions, based in National Harbor, Md., recently built the 179-foot Capital Wheel. The company operates the attraction, which is open to visitors year-round who pay $15 to ride. The Capital Wheel, which consists of 42 climate-controlled glass gondolas and 1.6 million LED lights, holds 332 passengers at a time and offers panoramic views of the National Mall, Washington Monument and Alexandria’s Masonic Temple, among other sites. There's also a carousel at the harbor for visitors.

• Like 2