Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

Bwithers, if I'm understanding you right, the parking behind the RiteAid will be available for people patronizing whatever businesses go into the new development on West Eastland -- but will there be any additional parking for business patrons? I live on Chicamauga, and while I welcome residential density, the thought of more commercial space coming into the neighborhood without more parking being provided for it is depressing. Residents are already having trouble parking in front of their own houses.

Bwithers, if I'm understanding you right, the parking behind the RiteAid will be available for people patronizing whatever businesses go into the new development on West Eastland -- but will there be any additional parking for business patrons? I live on Chicamauga, and while I welcome residential density, the thought of more commercial space coming into the neighborhood without more parking being provided for it is depressing. Residents are already having trouble parking in front of their own houses.

It is my understanding that a certain number of parking spaces are reserved for the commercial customers.  Probably not a ton, grant you.  But there will be parking in the rear of the structure for residents and commercial users and then the Rite Aid parking deck will be available for overflow.

I completely understand your situation.  West Eastland often features cars lined up along the street parked half way on the sidewalks.  And then there is all of the parking mess generated by traffic from Holland House/Pharmacy, even though they have some offstreet parking.

Perhaps the most critical thing for the Greenwood and Maxwell neighborhoods is to be careful about what specific kinds of commercial uses are allowed on the ground floors of these buildings.  Restaurants tend to generate a ton of parking needs, particularly in the evenings.  Other types of commercial businesses generate more modest parking needs during daytime business hours.  Just be careful about that.  IMHO, that area is already overserved by restaurants.  The building across the street struggles to keep its spaces leased.  Adding a large number of efficiency/1-bedroom units on this parcel might help out the existing commercial spaces in the neighborhood, but I'm not sure how many more that stretch of the neighborhood can support.  Not to mention the fact that until that intersection gets fixes, nobody will be getting anywhere anyway, even on the #26/#56 bus.

Edited by bwithers1

In the rumours and innuendo department, word on the Inglewood Face Book page is that someone has bought the buildings on the northwest side of Riverside Village - 2300 & 2302 (This includes Fond Object, Arrow Gallary, Nashville Piano Rescue, barber shop). They were listed on Loopnet for 1.3 mil. I believe someone from Nashville Piano Rescue reported this and others that live nearby confirmed people have been out surveying (funny, when you Google map it, there is literally two people surveying the area right in front of Nashville Piano Rescue - from May 2014 apparently). Web Pro data still lists Dan Heller as the owner.

Edited by TnNative

In the rumours and innuendo department, word on the Inglewood Face Book page is that someone has bought the buildings on the northwest side of Riverside Village - 2300 & 2302 (This includes Fond Object, Arrow Gallary, Nashville Piano Rescue, barber shop). They were listed on Loopnet for 1.3 mil. I believe someone from Nashville Piano Rescue reported this and others that live nearby confirmed people have been out surveying (funny, when you Google map it, there is literally two people surveying the area right in front of Nashville Piano Rescue - from May 2014 apparently). Web Pro data still lists Dan Heller as the owner.

That really is interesting.  Dan owns quite a bit of the Riverside Village area, but not all of it.  There are other plans for McGavock Pike brewing and I can see that whole area from the bend to the eastern end of Riverside Village becoming increasingly dense. 

After Sip/Mike's Ice Cream moves to Gallatin/Ardee (construction is underway), I think that the old Mitchell's space combined with the Sip/Ice Cream space will be a seafood restaurant or something like that.  It will be good to plug that hole in Riverside Village.

Going north of Riverside Village, don't forget that the SP for 7 units at 2324 Riverside just north of Riverside Village will be up for third reading on September 9th.  CM Anthony Davis deferred the third reading one meeting to allow the builder to finalize plans with Friends of Riverside Drive (full disclosure:  I am a board member) for some median improvements.

• Like 2

Gas station just needs a facelift.

It's been for sale for a couple of years for $1.8 million. The owners are out of Cookeville, or so we understand. It was featured on Loopnet a year or so ago. The monthly revenues are around $400,000.00 so they are not going anywhere. They have been cited by metro for codes and trash violations, they just pay the fine and then go about their business.

We are stuck with this for years to come unless the owners get a large sum to sell.

I somehow doubt that a business that wants to move into an affluent part of East Nashville (Lockeland Springs) will want anything to do with my part of Inglewood.  Courting or not.

So we're comparing Lockeland Springs to Spring Hill?  Yes, the density issues are EXACTLY the same.

So what is their end game here?  Thwart every business that wants to move in or is it just a matter zoning laws, whether followed to the letter, skirted, or otherwise?  They do realize it's just going to get worse from here on out? 

Something something progress.

They say youth is wasted on the young.  I say awesome housing close to bars/restaurants/whatever is wasted on the old.

FYI - the most immediate neighbors who are complaining are maybe 30 and are hoping to start a family in a home that they purchased in a residential area.  Just FYI.  I'm not sure if that counts as "old" in your book, but it doesn't in mine.

Seriously, CM Westerholm listened to about 15 immediate neighbors make very well articulated arguments in front of the Planning Commission arguing against retail use on this spot in particular.  As I mentioned, several neighbors are quite OK with live-work uses, such as home office, but retail is a wide-open category.  But once again, CM Westerholm "respectfully disagreed" with the neighbors and urged approval anyway, and approval was granted by the Planning Commissioners.  CM Westerholm failed to involve the neighborhood association in discussions from before the rezoning was filed, repeatedly pushed this rezoning through over neighbor opposition, refused to answer or could not accurately answer questions from the LSNA board, and he failed to acknowledge the concerns of his constituents who wanted to work toward a compromise. 

These folks aren't just any constituents, they are his actual neighbors since he lives two blocks away.  This is not an effective way to represent one's constituents on either side of a rezoning question, and it is certainly not an effective way to get reelected.

The really good news is that after the pitched battle at the Planning Commission hearing, most of us went outside and shook hands and welcomed Mr. Clancey to the neighborhood.  It's a little tense, but we will work it out.  The one person who people are really mad at is not Mr. Clancey, it is CM Westerholm.

But congratulations to Any Old Iron.  We are looking forward to welcoming them to the neighborhood and everyone wishes them success.  We need to make the most of the situation.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

As far as the parcels for sale by NADC (or Lincoln College of Technology) it looks like one was bought by TM Investments (out of Brentwood), it looks like they now also own what was "Mac's Market" on the edge of Eastwood Neighbors at Douglas and Gallatin. "Echo Construction" owns a parcel (they tore down an older bland house). This is interesting...this must have been one of the parcels for sale as well - 1302 Gallatin Ave is now home to something called the Nashville Motorcycle Collective.

www.nashvillemc.com

Edited by TnNative

So drove by So Clean Auto Detailing Shop today - corner of 10th and Shelby - and looks like they were doing some heavy excavating in their front parking area...could not find any kind of demo or construction permit... address: 410 S 10th Street

NashvilleTN 37206

Edited by FatherLand

So drove by So Clean Auto Detailing Shop today - corner of 10th and Shelby - and looks like they were doing some heavy excavating in their front parking area...could not find any kind of demo or construction permit... address: 410 S 10th Street

NashvilleTN 37206

Just a hunch, but my bet is that the owner was removing the old gas tanks before he was fined.  I don't think you need a construction permit for that.  As you will see on your drive home, it's already covered back up with gravel.

Just a hunch, but my bet is that the owner was removing the old gas tanks before he was fined.  I don't think you need a construction permit for that.  As you will see on your drive home, it's already covered back up with gravel.

I gave this to WW a couple of days ago. He has a call into Chad Grout to see if anything is going there. Rumor has that it is a bar, so we shall see.

They look decent enough, but it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when urban residential buildings are built right up to the street as they should be, but don't open up to the street.  It appears as though there are no entrances to speak of on Main Street itself, which to me, is kind of missing some of the point of building up to the street in the first place.  I mean, that might as well be the back of the building. 

Edited by BnaBreaker

They look decent enough, but it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when urban residential buildings are built right up to the street as they should be, but don't open up to the street.  It appears as though there are no entrances to speak of on Main Street itself, which to me, is kind of missing some of the point of building up to the street in the first place.  I mean, that might as well be the back of the building.

Agree with you, generally. In this case, the developer may have calculated that ground floor units with street access might be hard to rent if people had to worry about the gas station patrons knocking on the door in the middle of the night.

• Like 1

Agree with you, generally. In this case, the developer may have calculated that ground floor units with street access might be hard to rent if people had to worry about the gas station patrons knocking on the door in the middle of the night.

It doesn't have to be a direct access door to each unit or anything, but a door into a hallway or something, at least.  Putting the back of a building up against the street is like using a shirt as a pair of shorts.

It doesn't have to be a direct access door to each unit or anything, but a door into a hallway or something, at least.  Putting the back of a building up against the street is like using a shirt as a pair of shorts.

Hey...when you wake up in a strange place and can't find your pants, you gotta do something.

• Like 3

We are excited about it. I called Ron last night and got the rendering up on our owners forum fairly quickly. Construction to start sometime in the enxt week once permits are pulled. Should be complete in 12-16 months, or so we have been told. Stick frame and no retail.

Edited by Urban Architecture
  • Like 1

The stick frame is the only part I'm not as enthused about. I'm thrilled that EOA is the architect for this one as well, though. I thought they did a very good job with 5&M and I have no doubt that they will make the architecture of the two flow together as seamlessly as possible.

With any luck, we'll work out a way to gain access to their "state of the art business center, gaming room, salt water swimming pool and fitness area"!

Work seems to have stalled at the empty lot at the corner of Gallatin/Riverwood.  The tanks that looked like they were burying sit above ground and they have removed the heavy machinery.

Bricks have been delivered to the Cook Out location near Trinity.  They seemed to be moving along slowly once they got all of that plywood up around the top of the building.

Several electrical and plumbing trucks at the new Sip Cafe location.

The vacant lot near Gallatin/Calvert is now marked as sold.

The Kwik Sak in Inglewood continues to expand their craft beer selection.  I got a 15er of the All Day Session IPA cans for $21.

Lots of infill, teardowns, and rehabs going on in my corner of Inglewood.  Good times.

Edited by grilled_cheese

My sources tell me that there is a master plan for the entire 900 block of Shelby including the old car wash building at 10th.  Edgefield/Rediscover East has been talking about this one.  I think that a lot of the Edgefield people want the car wash building to stay.  My understanding is that the little - and fairly recent - duplex building will come down.  I just hope that the master plan leaves room to preserve the mature magnolia trees on that property.

• Like 1