Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

3 hours ago, uberkarnie said:

I attended the first meeting between the development team and neighbors in my role on the HWEN board on Tuesday. This was an initial meeting meant for immediate neighbors of this project only (maybe 50 people,) future meetings will include the broader neighborhood/community. The plan is for "luxury" rental. The meeting was contentious, with several neighbors storming out during Q&A. I think the massing of this new design is a significant improvement, all height is located along 21st and the southern edge bordering the under construction animal hospital. The West Linden side would be designed in a row house/town house style with stoops etc. The western edge would be 3 stories. The design  includes taking 12' on the west side of the property, combining that with an existing 12' ROW to add a buffer alley/entrance on the back side between the development and existing houses. It also takes 12' from the property on the West Linden side to add on street parking and landscaping elements. They want to put a small green space and outdoor dining for the retail space at the intersection of 21st and West Linden. The developers mentioned that NDOT will not allow a traffic signal at the intersection, but has agreed to the previous plan of a signaled crosswalk. They're going to have to go back to the drawing board on this or do some serious community outreach, though. Several neighbors insisted it should not be taller than 5 stories, others were mad about only having 217 parking spaces. The biggest concern was traffic. Both entrances would be on West Linden with the one closest to 21st being right turn only for ingress and egress. The other entrance would be from the newly created "alley" mentioned before. This would certainly funnel most traffic towards Natchez Trace or Woodlawn as a left turn onto 21st would be difficult most of the time. I certainly have traffic concerns and wish it included some percentage of affordable units, but the land owners have super deep pockets and are asking a fortune, so something has to give. 

So, what do they really want. Even at 5 stories they are still going to have to deal with traffic and Metro is not going to do an entrance on 21st. I will bet any traffic study will back that up. I don't know why they are upset about 217 parking spaces. Many folks in the city only have 1 car these days. Cars are becoming more and more expensive. Hard to get off the lot for under 40K for a new one.

The ones that walked out are the ones that want a vacant lot there and are unwilling to listen to any kind of reason. They balked at 7 and want 5. Spit the difference and that is 6. My guess is the Carrell family is firm on the price of the land and the developers have to make this work financially.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, uberkarnie said:

I attended the first meeting between the development team and neighbors in my role on the HWEN board on Tuesday. This was an initial meeting meant for immediate neighbors of this project only (maybe 50 people,) future meetings will include the broader neighborhood/community. The plan is for "luxury" rental. The meeting was contentious, with several neighbors storming out during Q&A. I think the massing of this new design is a significant improvement, all height is located along 21st and the southern edge bordering the under construction animal hospital. The West Linden side would be designed in a row house/town house style with stoops etc. The western edge would be 3 stories. The design  includes taking 12' on the west side of the property, combining that with an existing 12' ROW to add a buffer alley/entrance on the back side between the development and existing houses. It also takes 12' from the property on the West Linden side to add on street parking and landscaping elements. They want to put a small green space and outdoor dining for the retail space at the intersection of 21st and West Linden. The developers mentioned that NDOT will not allow a traffic signal at the intersection, but has agreed to the previous plan of a signaled crosswalk. They're going to have to go back to the drawing board on this or do some serious community outreach, though. Several neighbors insisted it should not be taller than 5 stories, others were mad about only having 217 parking spaces. The biggest concern was traffic. Both entrances would be on West Linden with the one closest to 21st being right turn only for ingress and egress. The other entrance would be from the newly created "alley" mentioned before. This would certainly funnel most traffic towards Natchez Trace or Woodlawn as a left turn onto 21st would be difficult most of the time. I certainly have traffic concerns and wish it included some percentage of affordable units, but the land owners have super deep pockets and are asking a fortune, so something has to give. 

I understand that wealthy homeowners are mad that their public street may see more public users, but the hubris of someone believing that they should be able to exercise that level of control over someone else's property just boggles my mind.

• Like 3

The whole reason for these type meetings is to allow property owners to come together and vent as a neighbors. I think it's preferable to social media where we can all hide with levels of anonymity.

I've been to meetings where folks who are nasty online get shot down fairly quickly when their neighbors start weighing in back at them.  The pushback is also reflective of the fact that some many folks are home 7 days a week now versus 2 days (weekends), pre COVID.  They are a lot more invested in a peaceful , quiet neighborhood than in years past. Another thing folks consider is that once you open the door to 6 floors, why not 7, then why not 9.  A lot of this fight, from my sense, is about stopping, or at least downsizing the next project. 

Personally, I really like the project, but I won't be living near it.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 2

They're also not as familiar with zoning/development procedure as some of us who are more obsessed. Many can't get over that the site is zoned for 30 units, even though that zoning also would allow additional office space. They don't realize that it's an outdated and ridiculous zoning designation from a more suburban focused era. I'm not sure the St Louis based developers were prepared for the blowback, but it's the same design team as before, so they should have been prepared.

The Chartwell at Marathon Village (5 -7 stories, 379 units, 4,000 sq. ft. of ground level retail, internal garage) has landed a $31.8 million permit for the build-out of the shell.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/notes-works-continues-on-paseo-south-gulch/article_6fed6fde-5704-11ed-8b8a-ab458cc0dde1.html

• Like 2

Lofts at Marathon (4 & 5 stories, 320 units, internal garage) update: small tower crane up; western section topped-out.

Looking SE from 16th Ave. North, 1/2 block north of Clinton St:

Lofts at Marathon, Oct 23, 2022, 1.jpeg

Looking NE from 16th Ave. North, 1/4 block north of Clinton St:

Lofts at Marathon, Oct 23, 2022, 2.jpeg

Looking west from 14th Ave. North, 1/4 block north of CSX tracks:

Lofts at Marathon, Oct 23, 2022, 3.jpeg

Looking west from 14th Ave. North, 1/2 block north of CSX tracks:

Lofts at Marathon, Oct 23, 2022, 4.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Rock Block Flats (6 stories, 30 units, ground level retail) update: more excavation, and shaving back walls off of existing Elliston Place storefronts.

Views from the alley behind Elliston Place:

Rock Block Flats, Oct 30, 2022, 1.jpeg

Rock Block Flats, Oct 30, 2022, 2.jpeg

Is that first pic the back of the old Obie's, where you could get a pan full of dough with a dab of marinara from a jar?  

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Is that first pic the back of the old Obie's, where you could get a pan full of dough with a dab of marinara from a jar?  

The building that once housed Obie's is further down the block to the west and is unaffected by this development.  It is an ice cream shop now. Sure enjoyed some Obie's deep dish back in the day, though.  : )

• Like 3