Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

Eaton's Creek Commons (200 two story townhomes?) update: foundational work underway.

Looking west from Ashland City Highway, 1/2 block SE of Hydesdale Lane:

Eaton's Creek Commons, June 10, 2023, 1.jpeg

Looking SW from Ashland City Highway, 1/2 block SE of Drakes Branch Rd:

Eaton's Creek Commons, June 10, 2023, 2.jpeg

Great to see this area improve. The views coming back to Germantown of the skyline are amazing.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2023 at 11:09 PM, AsianintheNations said:

New mini-roundabout in the Nations with some unofficial reflective pinwheels added by a nearby resident, who stated on Nextdoor that he did so mostly to make them more interesting but also for safety. There are at least 3 or 4 of these guys completed now, but since they're entirely concrete and kind of flat, they can be hard to see depending on the slope of the approach (without the pinwheels). I wish they painted the base yellow or added some reflectors (instead of opting for the splitting yellow lines which are okayish but encouraging veering to the right and potentially hitting pedestrians/cyclists). A point of confusion for me is that they're not standard roundabouts - the stop signs in two of four directions have been maintained, so the normal rules for entering a roundabout don't seem to apply.  Anyway, I'm fine with these as a way of slowing down the crazy race cars, but would also like to avoid flying crazy race cars that see these too late.

The curb at least of the circulating island should be painted yellow per MUTCD. As a design point, not strictly safety-related, the whole island should be paved to allow trucks and other large vehicles to traverse it; I assume Metro learned a lesson on this as older mini-roundabouts in the city have signs in the island.

I personally don't care for Metro's use of them without changing the traffic controls of the intersection as it takes left-turning vehicles from the side streets much longer to clear the intersection and accelerate to the travel speed of the main road. This can be an issue where intersection sight distance is limited, as it is in several locations where they have already been installed. This is setting aside the violation of expectations especially in a region/country where roundabouts are still relatively new.

To solve the sight distance issue, I usually turn left the "wrong" way across the mini-roundabout, much to the irritation of Mrs. Tracy. That's right, ladies... I'm trouble.

• Like 2

839 West Trinity Lane (3 stories, 79 townhomes on 7.2 acres) will be getting underway soon as Pivotal Real Estate has purchased the land from Rhythm Development for $4.15 million this week.  Pivotal also landed a $22.5 million loan from Hancock Whitney Bank for construction.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/site-eyed-for-townhome-project-sells-for-4-15m/article_e3827ee8-1b68-11ee-b7cd-eb9b03750f62.html

839 West Trinity townhomes, July 6, 2023, render.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

839 West Trinity Lane Townhomes, July 19, 2021, site map.png

• Like 4

On 7/5/2023 at 1:41 PM, GregH said:

They went through on Monday and added signs in the middle of the circles. 

Yes, I'm puzzled by this. Pinwheel art person was advised that the little pinwheels were not okay because the islands were designed to be driven over by emergency vehicles, but the signs (and now, a cactus and succulent garden in the circle by Cockrill Elementary) certainly prevent that. The Kentucky Ave circle in particular is in a tight enough intersection that any parked cars near the intersection will make it very difficult for emergency vehicles to pass, now that there are four signs sitting in the circle.

1 hour ago, AsianintheNations said:

Yes, I'm puzzled by this. Pinwheel art person was advised that the little pinwheels were not okay because the islands were designed to be driven over by emergency vehicles, but the signs (and now, a cactus and succulent garden in the circle by Cockrill Elementary) certainly prevent that. The Kentucky Ave circle in particular is in a tight enough intersection that any parked cars near the intersection will make it very difficult for emergency vehicles to pass, now that there are four signs sitting in the circle.

Remember several years ago, they plastered the roundabout at Musica with signs and metal barriers too and then removed them.   Go figure.

10 hours ago, AsianintheNations said:

I think it'll be ok, I've seen Charter construction 18-wheelers navigate the Kentucky one without touching it.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2023 at 11:09 PM, AsianintheNations said:

A point of confusion for me is that they're not standard roundabouts - the stop signs in two of four directions have been maintained, so the normal rules for entering a roundabout don't seem to apply. 

This happened to me just now - someone completely ran the stop sign thinking it was a normal roundabout.  I guess I should once again inform NDOT of their traffic engineering flaws.

Edited by ThunderOne
  • Like 3

405 40th Ave. North (6 stories, 103 units, 6,000 sq. ft. of retail, internal garage) update: glass being installed.

LookingNW from 40th Ave. North, 1/2 block north of Charlotte Ave:

405 40th Ave North, July 15, 2023, 1.jpeg

Looking SW from 40th Ave. North at I-40 overpass:

405 40th Ave North, July 15, 2023, 2.jpeg

Looking south from I-40, just west of 40th Ave. underpass:

405 40th Ave North, July 15, 2023, 3.jpeg

• Like 4

701 40th Ave. North will be 3 stories with 36 affordable residential units on .8 acre by Woodbine Community Organization.  They just landed a $3.64 million permit to get started.  Wamble & Assoc. is in charge of engineering/land planning; and Bacar Constructors is the general contractor. 

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/real-estate-notes-project-eyed-for-east-side-progresses/article_81eb7ece-24d6-11ee-9fa5-7b536f4d9fda.html

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in red at the center of the frame:

1876402990_ScreenShot2023-07-17at3_46_23PM.png

• Like 4

Wood Partners have announced some more details for their residential project on 5 acres at 210 Cumberland Bend (just north of their recently completed Alta Riverwalk project).  It will be 5 stories with 325 units and an internal garage.  It will face the Cumberland River Greenway and river.  Dynamik Design will be the architect (no renderings yet), and Wood Partners will serve as its own contractor. Wood has applied for 2 permits already. They still need to purchase the land and warehouse that sits on it, which was bought by Dore Frog LLC for $7.1 million 3 years ago. 

https://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/sports_business/bristol-announces-benefits-agreement-for-potential-racetrack-improvements/article_c967f8f4-2567-11ee-bdd4-f7a20fdd6f0f.html

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

1008560081_ScreenShot2023-07-18at8_40_30AM.png

Just now, MLBrumby said:

How tall can they go in Metro Center? That site looks like it would have a great view of the skyline but it's 2/3-stories below the expressway isn't it? 

It really depends on the zoning. MetroCenter is a lot of historically industrial land that is low-rising. Alot of the developments have been going through the rezoning process to move into the mixed-use categories, but that is always a process. The Community Character Manual (CCM) has this property listed as a "District-Employment Center" which code allow rezoning to MUI (A), which could allow up to 15 stories, but nobody has really attempted to do that. Lastly, the North Nashville Community Plan outlines the area as a Tier Two, Center which is modest investment into support/redevelopment. 

I think one thing that may make developers skiddish about going bigger than the stick built 5+1s in MetroCenter is the levee.  The entire area is in the "500-year floodplain - protected by levee". While the 500 year flood-plain says there is not a huge risk for flood (.2% chance per year), We saw with Hurricane Katrina that levees are not perfect. It definitely held during the 2010 flood, so who knows, maybe if/when larger development moves up Rosa Parks we see developers take a swing at something bigger. 

Also FWIW, Rosa Parks would also be one of the better connections (with improvements) to a proposed MLB/mixed-us district at TSU, so that may spur some larger developments in the area.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ariza Bellevue (3 stories, 7 buildings, 417 units) continues to evolve a bit due to public pressure in regards to it being built on 500 year flood plain that could effect other homes/businesses in the area.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2023/07/18/controversial-ariza-bellevue-apartments-set-for-final-vote/70420020007/

Screen Shot 2023-07-18 at 4.26.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-18 at 4.26.21 PM.png

• Like 4