Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

11 minutes ago, FluffyP13 said:

Richland Builders throwing up identical track home garbage all over the city. Making bank on it too. 

I dig their interiors a lot, but their exteriors are straight booty. No engagement with the street, massive garages with little tiny front doors and no front porches on the ground floor, dark hulking behemoths that say "to heck with context." https://www.instagram.com/richland_builders

1 hour ago, PruneTracy said:

Also the Lloyd under construction looks like this.

6AI-xGzycGZQOjBpQCyPf-JPOeXD-LjLn2AVEbAA

It's a shame because there are some gems mixed in there and in Cherokee Park, not to mention the institutions like West End Middle and MBA (their latest addition notwithstanding)

looks very 1960s modern esque. Kinda like an old federal government building.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, markhollin said:

Work has stated on 3718 West End Ave., which  will feature six 3 story homes surrounding a courtyard on .46 acre.  The developer is Richland Building Partners; the architect is Ryan Thewes.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/may-start-eyed-for-west-end-avenue-project/article_b47f370a-cda0-11ed-a59c-63aaa9eca748.html

3718 West End, March 29, 2023, render.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in red at the center of the frame:

No style at all.  Butt ugly.  Does anyone remember when they were so concerned with style in this stretch that they actually tore down, moved and rebuilt a grand old grande dame, a lovely old apartment building where they built the Walgreens at West End and 31st.  It was rebuilt very nicely in this stretch.  I don't remember its name but it is next door to the Gladstone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Baronakim said:

No style at all.  Butt ugly.  Does anyone remember when they were so concerned with style in this stretch that they actually tore down, moved and rebuilt a grand old grande dame, a lovely old apartment building where they built the Walgreens at West End and 31st.  It was rebuilt very nicely in this stretch.  I don't remember its name but it is next door to the Gladstone.

Jacksonian.

• Like 1

The Starlite at 3976 Dickerson Pike (3 stories? 275 units) will be a residential project on 7.67 acres.  The site is currently occupied by The Starlite Dinner Club, the longest operating  nightclub in the area, starting in 1952 (although it appears it has been closed for at least 7 years).  LDG Development is heading up the project and is seeking rezoning. No renderings yet.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/apartment-project-planned-for-dickerson-pike/article_f1a864a2-cf1d-11ed-a5f6-533a90c7ccec.html

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

1803846688_ScreenShot2023-03-30at3_17_44PM.png

• Like 2

On 3/29/2023 at 1:37 PM, colemangaines said:

Whatever this thing is:
image.thumb.png.fe5e3a0e2b638f1aad929c9276f377a0.png

I've always had the impression that anything goes style-wise on that stretch of West End lol

I actually like the Rokeby! There are somewhat more flattering shots around (no scaffolding/dumpsters, leaves on trees) and I certainly find it more interesting than the skyscrapers built downtown during the same decade (the 1970s). The "weird window grid" is still being used for a "modern" look these days, and this building is nearly 50 years old.

On the other hand, yes, I agree that Richland Building Partners is just throwing up the same variation of "modern" black/wood/stone blocks anywhere and everywhere ... pretty much Minecraft homes. They do look slightly better in person compared to their awful renderings, but almost never make any sense in context.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Ewing Heights will be an 8 building, 3 story complex  featuring 170 apartments and 10 townhomes of affordable housing at 334 Ewing Drive in North Nashville. DDG Development is in charge; Studio A is the architect; Catalyst Design is overseeing land planning/engineering. Excavation is underway. Completion is planned for mid 2024.

More at CityNowNext here:

https://citynownext.com/2023/04/03/work-begins-at-ewing-heights180-affordable-residences-in-north-nashville/#more-28587

Ewing Heights, April 3, 2023, render.png

Ewing Heights, April 3, 2023, diagram.png

Photos courtesy of Robert Looper III:

Ewing Heights, April 3, 2023,  site aerial.png

• Like 4

My understanding is that as the building was being designed, they were selling units and allowed the residents to lay out their own apartments as to where the windows would be located, hence the random look to the facade. It's one of my favorite buildings in Nashville.

57 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

When some of the faux stucco crap built this decade is demolished and forgotten, Rokeby will remain standing proud on West End Avenue.

(rendering from the architect’s website)

81C136F7-43F6-4E15-8497-90EDF866078B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MidTenn1 said:

My understanding is that as the building was being designed, they were selling units and allowed the residents to lay out their own apartments as to where the windows would be located, hence the random look to the facade. It's one of my favorite buildings in Nashville.

That really worked well for that building. I remember when I first saw it, and it was probably 15-20 years old already (IDK when it was built) in the late 80s.  It struck me for several basic reasons... it was fresh looking on West End, which at that time had only houses through that stretch. But it made a great transition to the residential area and school around it. The brick made it look classy and the random windows made it look interesting. I like the ground level retaining walls and the lawn at the corner. I have no clue what was on that site beforehand, but it had to have been an odd site on which to build. I'd guess it was one of those large homes (or maybe two). That loop road around it can give a glimpse of what might otherwise be on that site; bland townhomes surrounded by asphalt. It's a building I've seen many times and wondered what the inside apartments look like now. I actually visited someone who was hosting something for Vandy alums about 30 years ago... and I recall a lot of parkay flooring and dark stained wood.  It was a bit dated, but still very nice looking. 

• Like 2

On 3/29/2023 at 2:44 PM, PruneTracy said:

Also the Lloyd under construction looks like this.

6AI-xGzycGZQOjBpQCyPf-JPOeXD-LjLn2AVEbAA

It's a shame because there are some gems mixed in there and in Cherokee Park, not to mention the institutions like West End Middle and MBA (their latest addition notwithstanding)

I can't believe they got by with this, it looks like a suburban office building, not residential. 

On 4/3/2023 at 3:03 PM, donNdonelson2 said:

When some of the faux stucco crap built this decade is demolished and forgotten, Rokeby will remain standing proud on West End Avenue.

(rendering from the architect’s website)

81C136F7-43F6-4E15-8497-90EDF866078B.jpeg

Don't disagree, but they are under going a massive renovation that from what i have heard resulted in a huge assessment from the owners.  Needed but many are VERY unhappy.