SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

On 3/29/2023 at 9:11 PM, KJHburg said:

check out this plan for behind the Southpark Towers on Fairview.  a 5 story Medical office building on the surface parking lot next to the Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and then a 17 story?? apartment tower behind it.  Page 41 of 48 of this public meeting documentation of shows 9 levels of apartments I think atop 8 levels of parking (which would be used the office buildings and apartments)  and some additional retail on the other side of the almost twin Southpark Towers.  

https://charlottenc.gov/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2022-Petitions/Documents/Community_Meeting_Reports/2022_147_CMR.PDF

Wouldn't 8 levels of parking and 9 levels of apartments on top be pushing the 220' max?  Maybe a garage wrapped with apartments like Piedmont Town Center across the street?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

Wouldn't 8 levels of parking and 9 levels of apartments on top be pushing the 220' max?  Maybe a garage wrapped with apartments like Piedmont Town Center across the street?

No not really 9 feet per parking floor and 10 tops for apartment levels.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't be surprised to hear an announcement that they've closed on the acquisition of Phillips Place in the next ~30 days. It's purely speculation, but otherwise it wouldn't make sense for them to just buy the hotel since that's not their core business and gives them no angle. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Prodev said:

I wouldn't be surprised to hear an announcement that they've closed on the acquisition of Phillips Place in the next ~30 days. It's purely speculation, but otherwise it wouldn't make sense for them to just buy the hotel since that's not their core business and gives them no angle. 

That makes infinite more sense. Buy the shopping center, buy the hotel, and redevelop into a luxury hotel to help said shopping center.  Buying the HI to keep others from developing it into a luxury hotel so that luxury retailers "might" not go to Phillips Place sounds like a plan that was hatched on the internet, not a board room meeting.  

27 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

That makes infinite more sense. Buy the shopping center, buy the hotel, and redevelop into a luxury hotel to help said shopping center.  Buying the HI to keep others from developing it into a luxury hotel so that luxury retailers "might" not go to Phillips Place sounds like a plan that was hatched on the internet, not a board room meeting.  

If the people who also own Highland Park Village hadn't just bought a huge stake in PP I would think that's plausible. But from what I've heard the HPV people have big plans for the center. 

I think there's a joke to be made about PP+HPV...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, AltNative said:

If the people who also own Highland Park Village hadn't just bought a huge stake in PP I would think that's plausible. But from what I've heard the HPV people have big plans for the center. 

I think there's a joke to be made about PP+HPV...

Then why not Simon buy the majority stake from Harris and let the HPV do their ,luxury management thing as minority investors?   Isn't it pretty common for LH to sell stuff before they start new development?  Simon is the biggest retail owner in country.  Wouldn't HPV benefit more from the Simon as owners vs LH?  They certainly have more connections.

• Like 2

@InSouthPark All good points and I certainly agree that it would make more sense for Simon to operate a luxury shopping center over LH.  But LH is also doing their 10 story office tower at the end of the strip so not sure how that factors in. Maybe Johnny did/will sell the center to Simon with the stipulation that he gets to build his tower as he wishes. Look forward to seeing what happens though

• Like 2

It just doesn't make sense that Simon purchases the hotel to prevent other competition. Southpark is filled to the brim, and there isn't much space to add new retail there. PP complements the mall so well in terms of a potential higher-end luxury market. It would be good business for Simon to make sure PP is as successful as possible so it can continue to push customers to go between the two centers. I mean, HPV and Northpark Center are much further apart in Dallas, but the symbiotic nature of the two is really well done. I can only imagine Southpark and PP being the same. 

• Like 4

Looks like Suffolk Punch is planning to open the Southpark Taproom in May:  https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/whats-in-store/article274177835.html#storylink=mainstage_card

6000sf and 400 seats inside with another 4000sf outside area.   Will be interesting to see how they do.  Legion in Southpark is still busy the times I go, especially if the weather is nice.  I think it will be a big hit...if they got the outdoor area right.  People already at the mall will go in for a beer regardless.  But if you build the outdoor area right, it will attract the locals to stop by more-frequently.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the new development ordinance is inspiring some folks in Southpark. This is the first (or second depending on how you view it) home on Sharon Lane. I believe this area is still Southpark. If you're confused, this is the front yard of a large home being subdivided into I assume either townhomes or possible single family development. Perhaps not the best density as it is still car dependent, but Sharon Ln is *relatively* less congested than other area streets, and density is density in my book. 

IMG_5505.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

Looks like the new development ordinance is inspiring some folks in Southpark. This is the first (or second depending on how you view it) home on Sharon Lane. I believe this area is still Southpark. If you're confused, this is the front yard of a large home being subdivided into I assume either townhomes or possible single family development. Perhaps not the best density as it is still car dependent, but Sharon Ln is *relatively* less congested than other area streets, and density is density in my book. 

IMG_5505.jpg

Yes, this one has been very interesting to follow since the beginning, on my daily lunch commutes. Glad the utility tie-in work under the road is finally nearing completion. Also, 2 doors down at 2317, there's a new home under construction that seems to have stalled, with a new For Sale sign by the road.

24 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

IMG_5505.jpg

I have to confess, when I first saw this picture and posting, I was perturbed. I'm just as much of an advocate of anyone for urban density, but I'm also in favor of historic preservation, and so the hairs on the back of my neck went up when I saw a CUL DE SAC plopped in front of a solid, big old (for Charlotte) house.

Then I realized it was Sharon Lane and not Road, and I was like, "Eh, not as big of a deal," so I then went and looked up this lot subdivision on Polaris...and this could be really interesting, in a good way, or a massive failure.

At least according to Polaris mapping, there's a U shaped drive that should be going in around the perimeter (of the former front yard), and this cul de sac is...secondary? primary? and providing common access to most of the new lots. IF--IMO--this cul de sac is not the primary drive but instead functions as sort of alley/garage access, and the new houses face outward to the new perimeter drive, then I say, "Well done" and "Well thought out."

If, though--and I'm so used to being disappointed that I'm worried the alternative is more likely--that this cul de sac *is* the primary drive for the new houses and the other is only there for access to the old house (and two or three lots around it, then "BOO."

• Like 2

On 4/21/2023 at 9:48 AM, Madison Parkitect said:

Could be denser but that rear parking with the houses facing a small public green is pretty sexy.

On 4/21/2023 at 10:07 AM, Reverie39 said:

Ngl, I've always wondered why we don't see more of the rear parking with buildings closer to streets or green areas. It is way more visually pleasing without changing much functionality. Even for like suburban strip malls and things.

Dense and visually pleasing? Not in SouthPark, but I formally present to you, Queen City Townes at Old Pineville & Scholtz. (Redeeming Note: It's a 5-minute walk to the Woodlawn LYNX Station.)

042523_1.thumb.jpg.d6fbf9d82807959ebdcd515cb45858e0.jpg

042523_4.thumb.jpg.52773efb7f8bcb934053149c92565b72.jpg

042523_2.thumb.jpg.11f90432ae7fe825a990a6b30e236796.jpg

042523_3.thumb.jpg.52a0c2abbe9e829d83e7bae52ae72b68.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

So many new townhome projects look EXACTLY like this and its nasuea inducing.  I would never buy into one of these.  I was in one that is a carbon copy of this several months ago and some kids were playing in the alley in-between the units and the amount of echo was just sad.  Such a dismal place to live.

• Like 3