SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

4 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Does anybody know the status of the commercial and retail portion of The Colony redevelopment? Is that at jeopardy?

nothing I have heard of.  It is anchor by Publix and I know they want a store in such as high income area.  

• Like 3

On 6/18/2023 at 8:29 AM, KJHburg said:

actually I was catching up reading my Biz Journals and found this May 3 article about the next phases and it includes a high rise apartment tower.

""Synco Properties has started planning and design work for the second multifamily phase at The Colony in SouthPark.

Tim Hose, Synco president and CEO, said phase two will be a 12- to 14-story apartment building with 350 one-, two- and three-bedroom units. Hose said the Synco team is working with BB&M Architecture on design plans.

"We have a good concept of what that’ll look like in terms of size, height and the amenity package. It's going to be a concrete-and-steel building and have some pretty sizzly amenities because of the height and cost. It’ll compete with what Childress Klein and Related Group are planning in the neighborhood," he said.

Hose said he expects construction to begin in late 2024, prior to the project financing maturing.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/05/03/the-colony-apartments-synco-properties-southpark.html

Can't wait to see what "sizzly amenities" are in 2024/2025. We've already got complementary baristas, resort pools, golf simulators, etc.

Any guesses what this one will have? I'm betting on robot butlers and an IMAX theater.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Can't wait to see what "sizzly amenities" are in 2024/2025. We've already got complementary baristas, resort pools, golf simulators, etc.

Any guesses what this one will have? I'm betting on robot butlers and an IMAX theater.

Salt water baristas and dog simulators!

• Haha 4

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2023 at 10:00 AM, atlrvr said:

Don't know anything about the brand (except for a women's paisley blouse for $450 on their website seems on the pricier end of things) but looks like a Veronica Beard will be coming to Phillips Place.  Quoting the above, since this chain doesn't have many locations across the US (Denver is smallest city currently where they have a store), but they do have a location in Highland Park Village.

https://veronicabeard.com/

Following the theme of replicating Highland Park tenant roster, Phillips Place is also getting a Rag & Bone.

Looking at there store  map, seems like only in major cities/tourist hot spots except for Austin.

https://www.rag-bone.com/stores

Maybe only 1/2  as exclusive as Veronica Beard though based on the "blouse index", where is looks like you can get a Rag & Bone women's blouse for "only" $225.  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Rufus said:

Reported by our friend, Jason Thomas on Instagram: Ralph Lauren opening at Phillips Place. 

How times have changed! Considering RL opened at SouthPark way back in 2006, and then sadly closed a couple years later, this is a great get for the shopping center. It fits right in with the vibe they have been trying build. Still haven't seen the official announcement for Rag & Bone, but I don't doubt there are others that know better than myself. I believe this leaves one or two spaces vacant? 

From what I can gather, RL is taking the corner space across from Orvis and 800 Degrees. That's a huge space...I wonder if they take up all of it? 

Half of where brooks brothers was and the corner space. Rag & Bone news soon :)

• Like 2

Is the wetlands at the corner of Park and Gleneagles finally going to get developed?

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/08/29/harris-land-co-site.html

An infamously high-profile property in south Charlotte looks like it’s in play again for the first time in at least five years. Local real estate firm First & Early Partners has posted a 90-second social media video touting “Quail Hollow Village,” a 19-acre site bounded by Sharon, Gleneagles, and Park Roads.

The site is one that’s been sitting vacant for 20 years as one of Charlotte’s most prominent couples — Cameron and Dee-Dee Harris — and their Harris Land Co. has tried repeatedly to attract mixed-use projects without success.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, mad_park said:

Cameron and Dee-Dee Harris — and their Harris Land Co. has tried repeatedly to attract mixed-use projects without success.

When has Harris Land Company had any success with any projects in the past 20 years?  I mean they build a Walgreens on Carnegie like 15yrs ago.  The Harris Land Company web site looks like it was developed in 1998 when someone picked up their first HTML book. 

• Haha 4

One of Charlotte's most prominent pieces of undeveloped land could have a buyer in the next few months.

Local commercial real estate firm First & Early, working with The Harris Land Co., is gearing up to review more than 170 bids for Quail Hollow Village, a 19.2-acre site bounded by Sharon, Gleneagles and Park roads.

The property, owned by Cameron and Dee-Dee Harris and their company, has remained vacant for the last 20 years as they tried repeatedly to attract the right developer for a mixed-use project there. It was most recently appraised at $16.4 million, according to Mecklenburg County property records.

Jubal Early, founding parter at First & Early, told the Charlotte Business Journal that his brokerage was tapped by the Harris firm to market the property.

The site was added to a global database of developers and investors in mid-July, garnering about 7,000 inquiries over the last 45 days. A call for offers opened this week, and Early said there are currently 175 active bidders from the Charlotte region, across the country and globally.

"It’s a once-in-a-generation opportunity for the last undeveloped, 20-acre parcel in SouthPark, and we’re excited to be involved with it," he said. "There have been a number of suitors over the years to make a run at this, and (the Harris's) engaged us to fully expose it to a global marketplace."

The last time the site was in play for potential development was 2018, when commercial real estate firm Hill Partners released renderings at the International Council of Shopping Centers annual conference in Charlotte. That proposed project included roughly 117,000 square feet of retail, targeting a range of national restaurants and retailers. About 37,500 square feet was allocated for a luxury cinema, and 4,600 square feet was tied to a food hall. Plans also included a hotel, residential and a small medical office building

First & Early met yesterday with The Harris Land Co. and hopes to have a decision by the end of September.

Early said the property is zoned for mixed use, including retail, hospitality, luxury retirement and multifamily. The right buyer will be a developer or investor with the ability to perform all aspects of the project, he said.

"It is a landmark location with proximity to Quail Hollow Club and SouthPark, and it’s an opportunity to elevate what is current in Charlotte with uses we maybe haven’t seen yet," he said. "That might look like an ultra-high-end hotel or luxury retirement or retail that isn't in-market yet. It’s a clean slate of 19 acres that a creative developer can really make a high watermark project out of."

The firm's data shows an average household income of $108,451 annually within a 5-mile radius, $114,787 within 3 miles, and $105,344 within a mile. Corresponding population counts are, respectively, 780,109; 219,388; and 11,871.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

How that Publix isn't started yet is beyond me.  It's not like they need some residences built to justify that Publix location.  It's on one of our heaviest traveled roads in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods on the "right" side of the road for people coming home from uptown. 

Never did I think the Carmel Commons Publix would be built before the SouthPark or Arboretum one.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, KJHburg said:

In a story about some renovations at the Southpark Towers, the almost twin office buildings on Fairview which are 80% occupied according to the article.  I looked up the rezoning and their plans again.  

They plan to add a 5 level MOB medical office building in the parking lot by the Ruth's Chris and a 17 story apartment tower that includes a parking podium next to the existing parking garage.  On the other side of the garage is where the fire damaged a separate apartment building. 

Check it out on page 41 of the planning meeting notes.

2022_147_cmr.pdf (charlottenc.gov)

I like the plan and adds more density to the Southpark area.  

SouthPark Towers in midst of $20M makeover, rebrand by Crestlight - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

This is a cool plan! I like what they are planning to do with the office towers in the renderings. This would be a fun project see get developed!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

In a story about some renovations at the Southpark Towers, the almost twin office buildings on Fairview which are 80% occupied according to the article.  I looked up the rezoning and their plans again.  

They plan to add a 5 level MOB medical office building in the parking lot by the Ruth's Chris and a 17 story apartment tower that includes a parking podium next to the existing parking garage.  On the other side of the garage is where the fire damaged a separate apartment building. 

Check it out on page 41 of the planning meeting notes.

2022_147_cmr.pdf (charlottenc.gov)

I like the plan and adds more density to the Southpark area.  

SouthPark Towers in midst of $20M makeover, rebrand by Crestlight - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

They really have to get Barclay Downs intersection reconfigured if they are going to keep building on this site. It's a complete disaster in rush hour already and they just keep adding apartments, office, and medical.  My office was on Carnegie and it was a hair pulling experience to turn left on Fairview daily...either from Piedmont Row or Barclay (and I left work at the crack of 4pm as any later and it got exponentially worse).  

Speaking of Carnegie...I would expect 5825 Carnegie to go up for sale/re-development "soon".  Our lease in the building was not renewed after 20+ years and rumors were the company that owns the building (Essity) was looking to sell.  Its a complete dump of a 3 story office on a pretty big lot (5.5ac), so I would expect a tear down and hotel/apartments or new office.  If Harris ever built their fancy new office tower across the street, this location would be perfect compliment for a new upscale hotel as its walking distance to the mall.  Most of the hotels near the mall are really long in the tooth.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In looking at that building on Carnegie it does look like a good candidate for redevelopment into something like apartments.  It is adjacent to apartments on one side now. We are going to see more of this and in the university area there is proposal to turn a multi building office park into apartments.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

In looking at that building on Carnegie it does look like a good candidate for redevelopment into something like apartments.  It is adjacent to apartments on one side now. We are going to see more of this and in the university area there is proposal to turn a multi building office park into apartments.  

I didn't mean a re-development in that sense, I meant demo and new construction into something new unless they got a real sucker of a buyer. To say they put a minimal amount of maintenance in this building that past 20 years would be a slap to minimal. LOL.  I had one cube where my chair would roll to the window because the floor was so uneven.  Elevators broke all the time. Roof leaks.  HVAC's constantly freeze up if below 74.  Im surprised it just hasn't fallen over. 

16 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

I didn't mean a re-development in that sense, I meant demo and new construction into something new unless they got a real sucker of a buyer. To say they put a minimal amount of maintenance in this building that past 20 years would be a slap to minimal. LOL.  I had one cube where my chair would roll to the window because the floor was so uneven.  Elevators broke all the time. Roof leaks.  HVAC's constantly freeze up if below 74.  Im surprised it just hasn't fallen over. 

No I meant demo the one in the university area is some of both some existing use of buildings and new construction.  But with this Southpark site I would think complete demo. 

• Like 2