SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

25 minutes ago, JorgiPorgi said:

I don’t know, I don’t hate it. It is about as “SouthPark looking” as buildings get. The neighbors with their height complaints are just annoying IMO. 

There were a total of 16 participants in the public meeting, including the presenters and Johnny Harris.   The "concerns" were just in the headlines for clicks.  One person in the meeting asked about the height.  

https://charlottenc.gov/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2021Petitions/Documents/Community_Meeting_Reports/2021_151_CMR.pdf

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

I think you may be correct. 

Maybe there are two of us.  At least I do like the Legacy Union tower uptown, but just not a fan of this proposed tower in Southpark.

Edit:  To be clear, I said I "like" the Legacy Union tower, not love.

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JacksonH said:

Maybe there are two of us.  At least I do like the Legacy Union tower uptown, but just not a fan of this proposed tower in Southpark.

Edit:  To be clear, I said I "like" the Legacy Union tower, not love.

I do really like BOAT tower at Legacy uptown but on this one I am not liking it as much.  I like the design of the Capitol Towers better with the domed tops. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I wish we could figure out something to do with Sharon Road... with no effective mass transit serving the neighborhood, I understand the need to keep cars moving (and in turn the only mass transit right now, buses, moving). However Sharon is essentially a highway cutting the neighborhood in half. My friends didn't feel comfortable walking from the Just Salad in the Apex to the Crate and Barrel at the mall due to needing to cross 7 lanes of fast / busy traffic on an intersection that is dangerous for pedestrians. I kind of get their point... the mall attracts lots of people from all over that aren't used to watching for pedestrians / are lost / nervous and people are driving really fast. Instead, we loaded up in the  car and drove across the street. Some pedestrian bridges would almost be beneficial along this stretch to make it more walkable / safe, but balance the fact the area doesn't have mass transit.

I suspect without major infrastructure changes, we'll just have little walkable stretches within each little mini development, but not greater connectivity between all these private developments when the major roads split them.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

I wish we could figure out something to do with Sharon Road... with no effective mass transit serving the neighborhood, I understand the need to keep cars moving (and in turn the only mass transit right now, buses, moving). However Sharon is essentially a highway cutting the neighborhood in half. My friends didn't feel comfortable walking from the Just Salad in the Apex to the Crate and Barrel at the mall due to needing to cross 7 lanes of fast / busy traffic on an intersection that is dangerous for pedestrians. I kind of get their point... the mall attracts lots of people from all over that aren't used to watching for pedestrians / are lost / nervous and people are driving really fast. Instead, we loaded up in the  car and drove across the street. Some pedestrian bridges would almost be beneficial along this stretch to make it more walkable / safe, but balance the fact the area doesn't have mass transit.

I suspect without major infrastructure changes, we'll just have little walkable stretches within each little mini development, but not greater connectivity between all these private developments when the major roads split them.

image.thumb.png.6ea5328d425f981c28f3b792f4f8c8b7.png

but they painted fancy cross walks!!! what more could you ask for as a pedestrian???

• Haha 4

These stroads are a river. One stands on one bank, surveys the distance and risk, and reconsiders the plan. When seeking a new home seven years ago we gave our realtor a section of the city with specific limits based on such stroads. Not beyond..., limited by... and so on. She said it was a common instruction forom buyers. I hypothesize prices used to follow such limits. Today, the rule is there are no rules.

@KJHburg any experience with this (in the past if not today)?

6 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

These stroads are a river. One stands on one bank, surveys the distance and risk, and reconsiders the plan. When seeking a new home seven years ago we gave our realtor a section of the city with specific limits based on such stroads. Not beyond..., limited by... and so on. She said it was a common instruction forom buyers. I hypothesize prices used to follow such limits. Today, the rule is there are no rules.

@KJHburg any experience with this (in the past if not today)?

some people really want to be within a certain area and roads are used to define the areas.  However now with limited supply of homes on the market people are much broader in their search or they are stuck where they are now.  

Not sure what could be done with the Sharon and Fairview intersection except add pedestrian safety islands in the middle so people can safely get at least half way across if they cant complete the whole walk if they start late or something.  I have seen people crossing at that intersection on foot and I guess the pedestrian signals need to be longer to allow safe walking. 

• Like 1

If/when the density in the area gets to be a little more significant does anyone think elevated pedestrian bridges would ever be part of the conversation.  Maybe one of those doughnut shaped bridges like you see in Japan or Vegas could be a thing at say the Sharon/Fairview intersection if higher density around the mall happens. 

The pyramid topped Lincoln Harris office tower at Phillips Place was approved.  

""Lincoln Harris won City Council approval Monday night for a 10-story office building in the Phillips Place mixed-use complex.  Council's 10-1 vote to approve the rezoning petition that clears the way for the project follows the Zoning Committee's OK on April 5.  Mayor Pro Tem Julie Eislet cast the lone no vote.  Lincoln Harris announced last summer its plans to remake the high-profile property. The 3.65-acre site is currently home to Regal Phillips Place. The building plan includes removing the movie theater to build a 10-story, 250-foot tower with 250,000 square feet of office space and up to 20,000 square feet of ground-floor retail.  Plans also include a parking structure Lincoln Harris agreed to build no more than 65-feet high and at least 16,000 square feet of urbanized space at ground level.  The building would be the tallest in that area of the city, something Hilary Larsen, chair of the SouthPark Association of Neighborhoods, said has been a point of contention among some residents.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/04/18/council-approves-phillips-place-rezoning.html

don't shoot the messenger here....  it is a chip off the old block from its uptown big brother Bank of America Tower at Legacy 

Pyramid of Khafre

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

From Lincoln Harris website and we know how secretly they do things but they must be marketing this tower.  It was rezoned a few years ago and it was really good looking nothing like the twin Capitol Towers which sit next door. Of course no new rendering but the one they had in the rezoning petition looked great! 

5954 Carnegie
Charlotte, NC 28210

355,800 SF office / ground floor retail

10 stories

Available late 2023

Remarkable views of Uptown

Expansive balcony on penthouse floor

Outdoor balcony space on every floor

Glass facade

Structured parking with direct access into building

• Like 3

On 4/26/2022 at 6:35 PM, rancenc said:

New tenants and management structure for Phillips Place.

Phillips Place is adding to its tenant mix and shaking up its management as part of a $50 million revamp in SouthPark.

Charlotte-based developer Lincoln Harris has tapped HP Village Management to maintain Phillips Place status as a luxury shopping destination. Dallas-based HP Village is one of the nation's leading developers and managers of upscale retail property. It will be responsible for marketing and leasing of the 163,000-square-foot center.

HP Village is led by Stephen Summers and Ray Washburne, whose families own Highland Park Village. The families also bought a minority interest in Phillips Place through A.G. Hill Partners, their family office.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed. Lincoln Harris CEO and chairman Johnny Harris maintains majority ownership.

"There is a great deal of momentum at Phillips Place," Harris said. “It's a great time to partner with a firm like HP Village Management that has the expertise and shared vision to help us make Phillips Place all that it can be."

The move comes as Lincoln Harris moves forward with plans for a 10-story, 250,000-square-foot office building. An additional 20,000 square feet of retail space is part of that project.

It will replace Regal Cinemas.

That project is still in the early stages of development, with no timetable for construction available.

The tenant mix at Phillips Place continues to evolve as well.

"Phillips Place is Charlotte's premier retail center, a unique destination with unlimited potential. Combining our efforts, we'll continue to enhance and evolve the shopping and dining experience,” says Washburne, who serves as president of HP Village.

Renovations are underway at Phillips Place.
VIEW SLIDESHOW

Peter Millar expects to open its 3,147-square-foot store across from RH Charlotte in early May. That brand is known for luxury performance sportswear, seasonal resort apparel, refined tailored clothing and accessories.

Peter Millar is relocating to Phillips Place from The Village at SouthPark on Sharon Road.

It will be joined by Marmi, a leading retailer of high-end designer women’s shoes. Marmi recently opened a 1,961-square-foot location next to Brooks Brothers.

Previously announced Bonterra Dining & Wine Room is expected to open its 3,505-square-foot corner space this summer. It will feature La Colombe coffee in the morning, lunch during the week and dinner and a wine bar seven days a week.

Limani is also set to bring its New York brand of Mediterranean-inspired seafood to Phillips Place by the fourth quarter.

Peter Millar is like crack to Charlotte Biz execs

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, KJHburg said:

From Lincoln Harris website and we know how secretly they do things but they must be marketing this tower.  It was rezoned a few years ago and it was really good looking nothing like the twin Capitol Towers which sit next door. Of course no new rendering but the one they had in the rezoning petition looked great! 

5954 Carnegie
Charlotte, NC 28210

355,800 SF office / ground floor retail

10 stories

Available late 2023

Remarkable views of Uptown

Expansive balcony on penthouse floor

Outdoor balcony space on every floor

Glass facade

Structured parking with direct access into building

They are marketing it on some office space sites but I was in our office across the street last week and there is zero activity on-site. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

If you were a subscriber to the Charlotte Ledger you would already know this as this came out this evening:

From the Ledger:

""New York-based developer The Related Cos. filed plans with the city on Tuesday to transform a 9-acre site on the corner of Colony and Roxborough roads into a mixed-use development with 730 apartments, up to 24 for-sale townhouses, 60,000 s.f. of retail and up to 55,000 s.f. of office.  The apartment tower is proposed near the corner of Roxborough and Rexford roads at a height of up to 195 feet, which would make it the tallest residential tower in SouthPark. The project is still being designed, but a residential tower of that height would ordinarily be about 15-18 stories tall. The northern part of the parcel, which backs up to homes on Wickersham Road, would have three-story townhouses with a maximum height of 50 feet.  The Ledger has previously reported that the 118-unit Trianon condo complex was up for sale and that condo owners voted in March to sell to Related, under a rarely used procedure in North Carolina law that allows condo associations to be dissolved with an 80% vote.   A pedestrian street in the middle of the project, which developers are calling a “woonerf” — a Dutch term for walkable street that is pedestrian-friendly. The “woonerf” would be lined with “highly desirable” restaurants and retail, the developer says.""

this is on the Trianon condo site.   With Lincoln Harris's 250 foot tall pyramid topped office tower and this 195 foot apartment tower let me be the first to say SouthPark Rising! 

Based on that description, I'll give you three guesses about which one will be more successful between it and the LH tower, and your first two guesses don't count.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2