CU-ICAR/Millennium Campus

JCT

I also know a guy who used to work for Sanford. I was told that Sanford is a good person, and he genuinely cares about the taxpayers money. He is also the cheapest man you'll ever meet.

Exactly. This is a public-private venture.

I prefer my politicians to be cheap individuals. I like it that he buys suits off the rack and drives an older car. Wish more folks who spent public money lived like that.

ICAR head talks about boosting diversity. More info: http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../607120396/1026

The sentence that really stood out to me the most in this article was: "While he admitted it would have been better to have diversity hiring standards in place from the outset, he pointed out that contracts for 95 percent of ICAR have yet to be awarded." I never realized how big CU-ICAR will be until now. Only 5 percent of the contracts have been awarded so far. Imagine what this place will look like once the rest of the contracts get awarded and all of the buildings go up from that. :thumbsup:

Edited by g-man430

The sentence that really stood out to me the most in this article was: "While he admitted it would have been better to have diversity hiring standards in place from the outset, he pointed out that contracts for 95 percent of ICAR have yet to be awarded." I never realized how big CU-ICAR will be until now. Only 5 percent of the contracts have been awarded so far. Imagine what this place will look like once the rest of the contracts get awarded and all of the buildings go up from that. :thumbsup:

What is going in now is only part of Technology Neighborhood #1. There are four more to come. This is a project that will be in the development phase for a long time to come.

Considering this is a Public-Private venture I think that if the choice ever comes down to hiring some or local or instate or a out of state company who lends diversity to the project that the instate company should be chosen if capable.

I have no problem with diversity in awarding contracts, but not only should hte money stay in state, but I also think that we should not award contracts to more expensive companies just becuase they are minority owned. Award contracts to the best in state companies and don't make the sex or race or ethnicity of the ownership part of the decision.

Considering this is a Public-Private venture I think that if the choice ever comes down to hiring some or local or instate or a out of state company who lends diversity to the project that the instate company should be chosen if capable.

I have no problem with diversity in awarding contracts, but not only should hte money stay in state, but I also think that we should not award contracts to more expensive companies just becuase they are minority owned. Award contracts to the best in state companies and don't make the sex or race or ethnicity of the ownership part of the decision.

Right on, btoy! :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

I drove through CU-ICAR/Millenium Campus today and I was very impressed with the progress of the first technology neighborhood. Here's some pictures of what's going on:

Here's Clemson's Graduate School of Automotive Engineering:

208244552_495e60e439.jpg

208244554_7ea87cf943.jpg

This is Collaboration 3, which is nearing completion. In the foreground is the new parking garage:

208244555_d08944d060.jpg

This is the parking garage... It looks like it will be a great looking building. It impressed me the most:

208244556_1d0d61de0e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting NY Times Article on BMW, Clemson, and Rosen.

Link

Here is a quote from that article I would like to ask a question about: The Florida developer who is suing Clemson, Clifford D. Rosen, contends in the court papers that BMW and state officials worked together to push him out of a deal he had with Clemson. Mr. Rosen claims that BMW threatened to take its business elsewhere unless it could make the project serve its own research and educational needs.

-It seems to me that Clemson is the middle man in all of this, while Rosen is on one side and BMW is on the other. So, what is Clemson saying about all of this? Did they say yes, BMW kicked Rosen out or did they say no, they didn't kick Rosen out?

FYI: The Carroll A. Campbell, Jr. Graduate Engineering Center building will house the school's automotive engineering graduate program with an emphasis on systems integration. The 90,000 square-foot facility is designed with an open plan, to allow maximum communication between 15,000 square-feet of office space, ten laboratories and five classrooms, to facilitate and encourage interaction between faculty, staff and students. Large open bays provide space for students to work on entire cars or automotive components. Unique spatial features of the building include a curvilinear public atrium, glass walls that allow visitors to observe students and faculty at work without intruding, and a ramp that ferries automobiles into an elevated display gallery and auditorium. The building is to be constructed of concrete and clad in a combination of dark masonry and reflective zinc panels. The curved design of the building is unique and each floor is not stacked directly over the floor below it creating large overhangs or big open balconies. The project is seeking Silver LEED certification.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...