Gaines Street

Florida

stjoe: Just got back from Boulder, Co and they had a street called Pearl Street. It was awesome. If FSU had something just half as good, it would be incredible.

TaureanJ: Now if FSU were to have it's version of Pearl Street, shouldn't FSU plan and pay for it? Seems only appropriate since it will be for the university, after all it is a self-permitting entity that has already shutdown several area streets for its purposes.

stjoe: University of Colorado has nothing to do with the development of Pearl Street and FSU is not in the business of developing Tally. It isn't a development company, it is a university whose purpose is to educate.....not develop a 'destination area'. I really have NO idea what FSU has to do with this. The only correlation is Boulder utilized the benefits of a nearby university to make Pearl Street attractive. Can COT do the same? I don't understand this point.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could make it a project for the Urban Planning Graduate Students. Have them find some funding (grants perhaps?), talk to the business that would move in, and plan out the area. It's something they will have to do when they graduate and get out into the real world so why not give them a taste of it here?

That would be great. I don't think 15 years later qualifies as looking for fast results. I would love to see some results next year....I am equally concerned that they are quality results. I would like to think a group such as yours or those involved in the project had some pictures and info on places like Pearl Street.

"You said, "if FSU had something just half as good"... Pearl Street is a street in Boulder, CO built for the purpose of catering to the University Correct? In your opinion such a street in Tallahassee, FL would be incredible for FSU (College Avenue perhaps?). What I'm suggesting is if you believe FSU needs something similar here in Tallahassee to cater to itself that FSU should be the leader in such a project and carry it out. After all, its also FSU's job to cater to its students in addition to educating them."

Typo. I meant to say "if Tally had something just half as good".

Pearl Street isn't built for the purpose of catering to the university and neither is Gaines street built to cater to FSU.

Regardless, I would love to see gaines look and feel something like Pearl Street.

"I was greatly surprised at how long most redevelopment projects take around the country, but have learned since joining this catalyst group. Most take between 10 and 20 years to happen and usually the public doesn't see any signs of progress until after 10 years of planning. We just notice the time-line more w/Gaines since we read about it before the clock started ticking. Chattanooga redevelopment and even CityPlace in WPB took this long to begin and were planned well before we thought of Gaines. I read up on the history of Pearl and it seems it took them 10 years to get started and a street like Pearl from a planning standpoint is a little easier to transform since it was always one of the main streets for retail in Boulder. Those type of projects are a little easier to transform than somewhere like Gaines where you are going from existing industrial uses to destination area of retail."

Great info.....thanks. I would take 10-20 years to happen. I think Gaines will be more like 25-35 at this rate.....which I would take if I felt there will be quality. I am not confident in that. Let's hope I am wrong. I do think they work you are doing is great...thanks for that...and the info you put on the board re: gaines street.

"Great info.....thanks. I would take 10-20 years to happen. I think Gaines will be more like 25-35 at this rate.....which I would take if I felt there will be quality. I am not confident in that. Let's hope I am wrong. I do think they work you are doing is great...thanks for that...and the info you put on the board re: gaines street.

Oh sure, my pleasure. You guys are the reason I got involved w/Get Gaines Going. I really had no interest in KCCI and did not apply, but when I found out that they were going to tackle Gaines, the old planner in me came to life.

Folks like TJ and myself and many others are doing this for the betterment of our community. A better Gaines equals a better Tally, FSU and FAMU. I know that's why you want it too SJ. However since I've been working on the project, I've come to learn that some folks are working on the project to better their positions (like they may run for some type of political office or appointment) and to better their resumes. Oddly those are the same folks that I butt-heads w/on the project b/c they tend to approach the project from the Good Ole Boy way which makes me so aggravated I almost wanna quit. Then I remember part of the reason I want to be there is so I can keep this type of approach/mentality from spoiling the whole project. Anyway hard to explain. Thanks for letting me rant/vent.

• 2 months later...

Greetings All-

Its been awhile since I have written here. Busy as crap this year and needed a break from ranting. Cloisters Phase II is underway. We are taking it slowly because of the Real Estate market. Permitting is alway slow. I did notice that soil borings were being done along Gaines Street in anticipation of work being done at some point in the future. (I Hope). Brush clearing is going on at the big vacant parcel just north of Gaines and South of the civil center. I expect thats to allow visiblity for law enforcement. That area is a huge vagrant nest.

There have been 3 fires lately in the area. Two related to vagrants holed up in abandonded buildings the other caused by a smoker and an oxygen tank in bed. No one hurt in either case. Unfortunately there has been a rash of tagging going on too. Thats mostly from the kids riding the rail lines and stopping off and tagging the hell out of everything. Then of cource the local tagger have to respond...useless.

Things are slow in Real Estate. But the good thing is that the prices are slowly correcting and people are getting a little more enthuasiastic about buying again. Sucks about all the forclosures but that opens up opputunity of its own.

The All Saints neighborhood is looking more like a neighborhood too. I saw guys playing soccer in Burnette Park. Lots of runners and walkers. Folks walking their dogs. People out on the balconies enjoying the cooler weather. Couple of new moms with baby stolers even. Traffic is still way too fast on All Saints and Saint Francis though. Most of the new residents have moved into the Cloisters. Lots of trash blowing down the streets in All Saints. Most of the landscaping looks good at the new buildings with exception to that one at 812 St. Micheals. You would think its aboandonded. Hard to believe an architect and a realtor are two of the owners. Way too many nit wit students have moved in to the neighborhood but the city should be happy about the increase in the tax coffers.

Well - Thats all the news from All Saints for now....Peace

Greetings All-

Its been awhile since I have written here. Busy as crap this year and needed a break from ranting. Cloisters Phase II is underway. We are taking it slowly because of the Real Estate market. Permitting is alway slow. I did notice that soil borings were being done along Gaines Street in anticipation of work being done at some point in the future. (I Hope). Brush clearing is going on at the big vacant parcel just north of Gaines and South of the civil center. I expect thats to allow visibility for law enforcement. That area is a huge vagrant nest.

There have been 3 fires lately in the area. Two related to vagrants holed up in abandoned buildings the other caused by a smoker and an oxygen tank in bed. No one hurt in either case. Unfortunately there has been a rash of tagging going on too. Thats mostly from the kids riding the rail lines and stopping off and tagging the hell out of everything. Then of course the local tagger have to respond...useless.

Things are slow in Real Estate. But the good thing is that the prices are slowly correcting and people are getting a little more enthusiastic about buying again. Sucks about all the foreclosures but that opens up opportunity of its own.

The All Saints neighborhood is looking more like a neighborhood too. I saw guys playing soccer in Burnett Park. Lots of runners and walkers. Folks walking their dogs. People out on the balconies enjoying the cooler weather. Couple of new moms with baby strollers even. Traffic is still way too fast on All Saints and Saint Francis though. Most of the new residents have moved into the Cloisters. Lots of trash blowing down the streets in All Saints. Most of the landscaping looks good at the new buildings with exception to that one at 812 St. Michaels. You would think its abandoned. Hard to believe an architect and a Realtor are two of the owners. Way too many nit wit students have moved in to the neighborhood but the city should be happy about the increase in the tax coffers.

Well - Thats all the news from All Saints for now....Peace

:yahoo: Welcome Back CobyGuy :yahoo:

Sure is good to hear from you again CobyGuy. I can't tell you how many people have mentioned you or your company in conversations since you began posting on UrbanPlanet! I find myself thinking, "Hey, that's CobyGuy!!! :D "

Is phase II going to look just like Phase I? I came so close to putting in an offer on one of the 900 sq.ft. units but I just can't see myself spending the $150,000 for a one bedroom anything right now, but it was so so so so so so so so nice!! Please invite me over when you complete the next phase. I'm also pleased with the correction of home prices in the market.

It would be great for the All Saints area if Doug Burnett park was spruced up a bit. I think reading lately an article in the Tallahassee Democrat, the writer reported the city will be doing some landscaping work to the park in addition to a few other enhancements to make things more attractive. That should be nice.

Yep Phase II Cloisters will be identical with some minor changes that are the results of lessons learned from Phase I. Mostly horse infront of the cart issues this time. Instead of vise versa. We will be having a party on Dec. 7th at my house. Send me an email and I will give you directions. If you already know where then you are invited. Of course the UP-TLH folks are welcome.

We really are offering a product thats a good value. Especially compared to the other new condos in town. So give us another shot at wooing you. LOL...

Don't forget about the All Saints Film Society at the old Rail Depot on Nov 30th at 7pm. THe art showing "Who the is #@%$!! is Jackson Pollock?" Should be fun.

We are also selling our "commercial" units as "studios" You can customise them however you like at a better price. Some we have converted into barebones lofts already.

The city has some money and a set of plans to give burnette park a make over. Ask the UP folks to call Dan Donavan at Planning or Gilda Gilcrest with COT to shake the bushes. (pun intended)

Ciao-

PS- My mostly white, old lady tabby cat went missing rescently for 3+ weeks. We figured she went off to die in peace after 16 cantancorous years but she came home. This time decorated with a broad pink stripe down her back, pink feet, green rings around her eyes and a new purple flea collur. Oh and about 3 pounds heavier. Just another perk of living around "creative" people in the ASN, (All Saints Neighborhood)- peace

It would be interesting to see if the floor plans of the new 900 sq. ft. units differ any from the Phase I. When I looked at it the initial time, my only concerns were:

1. I don't like to climb stairs to get to my unit.

2. Can I squeeze an extra bedroom into this (s)p(l)ace?!

I considered the one commercial unit that was being offered up for sale before, but again I found myself torn. If I buy at the Cloisters, I want a REAL unit, one of the 3 Story HOMES. I figure if I'm going to pay that association fee, I might as well own something worth paying it for. Those are true luxury to me, and as you've stated, are probably the best value for that type of living. My only comment regarding them was the power lines outside. If you can somehow manage to have those buried we're talking about a true hot spot!

Cobyguy, are you also responsible for the project on Duval? I like those also because they are separate, but I don't like the location as much as I do the cloisters because they aren't downtown. Do you have any plans to develop beyond the All Saints area? I know of many blocks that would look wonderful with your type of concept.

Maybe in the few years I'll be back in the market again for another home. Right now I've got to pay off the one I've recently purchased. It won't be long knowing me.

I'd love to come to your party!! I'll put it on my calendar. It would be good to meet you and hear about your future plans for the All Saints Area.

Shame what they did to that cat!

Maybe we ought to continue talking about your developments in the Cloisters or All Saints threads. Meanwhile, I'm curious if you've been active with any of the Gaines Street groups? What do you think of KCCI and Get Gaines Going?

I think everyone knows where you live Cobyguy! :D

You got my vote for consolidation. I didnt know there is a Cloisters Thread. I'm scared to read it.

Does anyone have an update on the latest activity along Gaines- Soil Boring and brush cleaning etc...?

No I am not involved with the two other Gaines organizations either. Should I be?

• 2 weeks later...
PS- My mostly white, old lady tabby cat went missing rescently for 3+ weeks. We figured she went off to die in peace after 16 cantancorous years but she came home. This time decorated with a broad pink stripe down her back, pink feet, green rings around her eyes and a new purple flea collur. Oh and about 3 pounds heavier. Just another perk of living around "creative" people in the ASN, (All Saints Neighborhood)- peace

Archived