Gaines Street

Florida

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How bout a combo of both? Not as gritty as East Atlanta Village, but not as posh as CityPlace. Like I said, more like Clematis Street in WPB, but not as many bars. It will include national retailers, many that cater to the student population like hopefully Urban Outfitters and it will include local shops and artsy places such the ArtSpace project and the FSU Master Craftsman bldg. that TJ told you guys about. It will also include residential and hopefully a few bars and a grocery store/market.

That's the vision I believe that is coming together. In a market this small, we gotta have something for everyone. :)

I've chatted w/more than a few folks over at RR Square on behalf of KCCI/GGG and while this might be their perfect vision for Gaines, they can accept it b/c we are working for a compromise of uses in this corridor.

Do you mean locals as in the All Saints area locals? Because I know TONS of locals who would love to have more upper end shops in Tallahassee so they wouldnt have to make special trips to Palm Beach, Buckhead, etc to go there!

In Talahassee, yes. In that exact area, no.

I would love a bar or two.....ones with live music, but I would hope for a bar....different than you see in Tally now. Something that would be happening, but attract more than just 21 year olds getting completely trashed.

In the Gaines Street area, there are three current venues/bars. Beta Bar, for a good mix of national and local punk, rock, hiphop, jam bands - whoever comes through town. St. Michael's, which is mostly a good beer bar/Irish pub, but also has local rock and punk shows sometimes. And The Warehouse, which is my favorite pool hall in town, has a good jukebox, and puts on great bluegrass, acoustic, soul, etc shows in their large back room. Have you checked all those out?

All Saints Coffee Shop, various spaces in RR Square, the infoshop attached to Fat Sandwich, and a warehouse space called The Yard that's on Gay Street all sometimes have live shows, ranging from electronic indie-pop to protest-style folk.

In fact, I'd say if there's one thing that area is already doing really, really well, it's maintaining the Tally music scene.

I like the stucco look for Gaines.... stucco and white street lamps, and cool lookin' white metal signs. White everything and stucco. Home away from home for people from S. Florida, and a taste of something different for Tallahassee. Tallahassee is still home away from home for many from South Florida.

I love Brick too, and there's plenty of room for brick and metal downtown as well.

Pushing Students Away

At Ruby Sky, a fine dining restaurant in North East Tallahassee, Commissioner Desloge spoke to a group of young professionals about the advantages of staying in Tallahassee to establish a career and raise a family. It was at this meeting that he learned that many college professors are actually encouraging their best and brightest to look outside of Tallahassee for jobs once they graduate rather than encourage those who may desire to stay. As you all may recall, one of the primary focuses of the KCCI program is to retain our college educated minds, create an atmosphere suited to their enjoyment in order to stimulate the type of economic growth Tallahassee needs. From this piece I see there

EG your point is well taken. The fear of growth, change and something different seems to grip and control the local population. Every tiny step of progression is met w/opposition to the point where it's not worth the effort.

Also while some of our local politicians, city/county employees and local leaders are good and forward thinking, the more I meet w/them and get to know some of them, the more I think maybe they do need these trips to see other places. It seems so many of them are unaware of the outside world and what others are doing. It's as if they live in a Tally bubble. At the very least they should read more about other places.

Things I've honestly been asked or told multiple times by some of these fine folks:

Only the rich shop at Whole Foods.

What's Trader Joe's?

What's an Urban Outfitters?

I think Winn-Dixie (aren't they still in bankruptcy?) would be a good fit for Gaines.

I don't think we need a plan for Gaines, just let it happen naturally. (Think Tenn Strip here)

As for Gaines being built in a North FL type of architecture, I think that's a good idea although as you know I'm not a fan of brick, but I do think some type of local architectural branding (think Southwood and K2 type developments) would have been a great idea here. However w/the current process that's not going to happen. So we need to make sure whatever style they use that they do it to the very best they can and carry it through completely to create something we can all be proud of no matter if it's our favorite style or not.

Also who says South FL holds the copyright on stucco? Stucco is everywhere these days.

EG your point is well taken. The fear of growth, change and something different seems to grip and control the local population. Every tiny step of progression is met w/opposition to the point where it's not worth the effort.

Also while some of our local politicians, city/county employees and local leaders are good and forward thinking, the more I meet w/them and get to know some of them, the more I think maybe they do need these trips to see other places. It seems so many of them are unaware of the outside world and what others are doing. It's as if they live in a Tally bubble. At the very least they should read more about other places.

Things I've honestly been asked or told multiple times by some of these fine folks:

Only the rich shop at Whole Foods.

What's Trader Joe's?

What's an Urban Outfitters?

I think Winn-Dixie (aren't they still in bankruptcy?) would be a good fit for Gaines.

I don't think we need a plan for Gaines, just let it happen naturally. (Think Tenn Strip here)

As for Gaines being built in a North FL type of architecture, I think that's a good idea although as you know I'm not a fan of brick, but I do think some type of local architectural branding (think Southwood and K2 type developments) would have been a great idea here. However w/the current process that's not going to happen. So we need to make sure whatever style they use that they do it to the very best they can and carry it through completely to create something we can all be proud of no matter if it's our favorite style or not.

Also who says South FL holds the copyright on stucco? Stucco is everywhere these days.

St. Joe you speak my language. The architectural vernacluar should showcase this area and not West Palm, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami etc. Pensacola is doing wonderful things with their downtown. They are maintaining and promoting what is unique to them, and Tallahassee should do the same. Keep it local and specific to this area. Keep south Florida south!

bars and pool halls equal 18 hour downtown.... there could be more variety if they were moving into the niche Gaines Street area...

15 stories there would be awesome!

Even the smaller condo project would add some density and feel to the area- but what of the empty gas station! Yuk

Stucco still remains a respectable form of exterior cover, even if it is cheap.

Tell me this then, if Stucco is so cheap, why don't we see more of it used instead of that terrible vinyl siding seen on many lower priced homes? I'll take stucco over VS any day.

I can't stand VS or Stucco. They are both ugly to me.

Neither captures the essence of North Florida either...that is why I don't prefer Gaines to use it. It would like some place it New Mexico using cape cod arch. It might be nice, but you lose what the area is about.

Side note, you can have siding that isn't Vinyl and looks fine.

Let me just say I clearly see the difference between woodpanels, and higher quality siding, vs. Vinyl siding which, as Poonther notes, looks like pure plastic. (Darn shame about that rash. :) )

Gaines of Brick, Glass, Marble, Stone....... Cynder Block?!

BTW, I can't wait to see the new FSU parking garage erected across from the Civic Center. That to me is a catalyst project. I see a great bit of development following it.

Archived