Gaines Street

Florida

I know all too well, which is why I had to remove myself from that drama. I've noticed how a certain person's name has appeared in nearly every article concerning the group since it formed... is this election year?

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice article in today's Democrat on Gaines Street.

It touches on the interesting situation developing on the City owned property at the SW and SE corners of Gay and Gaines. This is where Bill's and Late Library use to be and the vacant lot across Gay from those parcels.

You've all heard of Art Space and they want and only need 1/2 the parcel. They want this particular space b/c it backs up to RR SQ and they can link in via a ped. bridge in the back. They want to include low-income housing for artist and on the street level studio space and retail space for the artist that pedestrians can view PLUS possibly my most desired grocery store chain for this location....I've promised NOT to mention the name, but I'm sure you can guess this two word chain. This grocery retailer loves the fact that they can help supplement the arts by renting their space here. Problem w/this chain is that they have no stores in FL and thus no distribution centers in FL. Well to my surprise, the forward thinking folks of this project have approached this chain about putting their distribution center possibly in this area..like the 10/90 Park in Midway. I commend the folks that didn't take no for an answer and are doing their best to make this happen. They are in talks and bringing players in from the community to try and make this happen. Who knows what will happen. However keep in mind the City will have to front money for this project.

The second offer as the article states comes from a developer in ATL that wants to put student housing on this location w/some retail on street level, but not big enough for a grocery store and needs this specific entire parcel to make a profit. They will build nice housing, but it will be for students, but it won't be that quad type stuff that has been popular lately. It will be traditional type housing. This offer as the article states will bring in money and that money will be put into the CRA which in turn go towards more infrastructure along Gaines. Also it will put the much needed "roof-tops" along Gaines which is what many retailers want before committing stores to Gaines.

So I'd love to hear from guys about this dilemma. Which project to you favor and why? Would you favor project one w/out the very special grocery store coming w/them?

I just find it amusing that this parcel and this parcel only is wanted by two very different groups b/c there seems to be so much room on Gaines for both these projects.

"Nice info, I would much rather have the Art Space and the Trader Joes on the bottom floor.... we can put the housing anywhere.. "

I agree. But Tally will just jump for the $$$$$.

I wish they would just find another lot for the developer and help the Art Space.

"Nice info, I would much rather have the Art Space and the Trader Joes on the bottom floor.... we can put the housing anywhere.. "

I agree. But Tally will just jump for the $$$$$.

I wish they would just find another lot for the developer and help the Art Space.

An interesting editorial from the Democrat on Gaines Street concerning the ArtSpace vs. private firm that wants to develop the student apartments. Volunteering for the Get Gaines Going group, I understand the dynamics and details of this situation better than many, but I still find it sickly ironic that we are battling over the same parcel when there's tons of room for both on Gaines. Surely some sort of compromise can be reached so that both projects can fit.

Oh yeah I love the "Yahoo" comments about Gaines on the Democrat.

Also great news for Gaines, two grants totalling $400K were just awarded to Gaines to help w/the clean up of Brownfields. This is great news since the whole street is basically one big Brownfield and that is often used as one of the excuses (just or unjustly) why developers don't want to take on projects in the area. This grant will help in some areas to rid the corridor of that detriment.

Here's the COT press release on the topic:

Gaines Street awarded grants.

P.S. Being a member of the GGG, I'd still love to hear from those who have not chimed in, which development they'd prefer on this parcel and why. To those who have voiced their opinion, I appreciate it!

"I still find it sickly ironic that we are battling over the same parcel when there's tons of room for both on Gaines. Surely some sort of compromise can be reached so that both projects can fit."

My thoughts exactly.

I would like the arts group to get the lot they want.....then I want every effort made to get the developer another lot that suits their needs. GET BOTH PROJECTS done. How about the corner lot where the gas station is?

Compromise reached on Gaines.

SJ you called it first that COT would go for the money and not ArtSpace, but what do you and others think about the compromise?

While I'm disappointed that ArtSpace won't be directly on Gaines, I am glad they found them a site. It's south of the Citgo Station and North of the train station from what I understand from the article. This spot will still be very visible and it will actually link RR SQ better w/Gaines than the original spot. Also the train station is home to the Tally Film society which brings in folks most weekends to this location to catch a flick.

Cortland now gets the prime property and the CRA gets its money for infrastructure plus they bring in the much needed rooftops that perspective companies approached about locating on Gaines requested.

I'm afraid w/these turn of events, the two-name grocer I was talking about deal maybe be dead. I'll find out more about that at my next meeting w/the GGG.

SJ you called it first that COT would go for the money and not ArtSpace, but what do you and others think about the compromise?

While I'm disappointed that ArtSpace won't be directly on Gaines, I am glad they found them a site. It's south of the Citgo Station and North of the train station from what I understand from the article. This spot will still be very visible and it will actually link RR SQ better w/Gaines than the original spot. Also the train station is home to the Tally Film society which brings in folks most weekends to this location to catch a flick.

Cortland now gets the prime property and the CRA gets its money for infrastructure plus they bring in the much needed rooftops that perspective companies approached about locating on Gaines requested.

I'm afraid w/these turn of events, the two-name grocer I was talking about deal maybe be dead. I'll find out more about that at my next meeting w/the GGG.

^Now I'm not positive about them not coming. I'll have to check w/my source at our next meeting and then I'll let you guys know. However I'm sure the grocer would have preferred a frontage on Gaines rather than RR Ave. If they don't come w/this deal, through these efforts we have at least gotten Tally on their radar.

^Now I'm not positive about them not coming. I'll have to check w/my source at our next meeting and then I'll let you guys know. However I'm sure the grocer would have preferred a frontage on Gaines rather than RR Ave. If they don't come w/this deal, through these efforts we have at least gotten Tally on their radar.

Archived