Gaines Street

Florida

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah some things went down at our last GGG (Get Gaines Going) and we were so conflicted by these events that we started talking about them here. Sorry if we involved you guys, we've taken the discussion to email. If and when we have something definite to report on Gaines, we will let you guys know. However I'll tell you that the current focus is NOT on a big retailer.

Again I'll ask this question: Does anyone know about Refuge House's plans to put their thrift shop on Gaines and if so where?

so any plans in the works to replace the Wal-Mart? I do hope it's a bit nicer supermarket.

a thrift store? you're joking right. i am not familar with where Stone Valley Way is though, is that in the "Gaines Street Corridor"? everyone was up in arms about Wal-Mart (with good reason) but i am not so sure downtown revitalization ='s thrift shops. :dontknow:

You can find cheap stuff at Wal-Mart too, but people were ready to kill over their arrival. Meanwhile hush hush about the ole Thrift Shop.

As far as replacements go blackbeancoffee, Roxanne Manning, director of the Downtown CRA is in talks with Newleaf Market to see if they'd like to relocate to Gaines as well as a few other retailers that include the likes of Publix and Fresh Market.

Thanks TJ for that answer. If you recall I asked that same question at our GGG meeting and no one knew. Do you know what was there before? I don't think that was the site of the old Bill's Bookstore.

COT has talked with or is in the process of talking to not just Publix and New Leaf but also Whole Foods and Trader Joe's and a few other retailers.

I'm not sure TJ if folks had problems w/Wally-marts "cheapness" as opposed to their being the Dementor's of Retail and sucking the life and soul outta all other retailers in the area.

In many folk's minds Thrift Shop=Cool while Wally-mart=uncool especially those from RR Sq.

P.S. The Get Gaines Going group that TJ and I are members of and talk in secret codes about, had nothing to do w/the thrift shop relocation, so if you like it, don't thank us and if you hate it, don't yell at us. :)

To me, the biggest thing about Gaines St. right now is knocking down all the abandon buildings. I noticed today that the ugly red, white and blue buildings next to the new Residence Inn have steel shutters over the windows. I think an empty lot is better than old, run down buildings.

I work in the Turlington Building and we would love for them to build some places to eat and I bet the Residence Inn vistors would like it to.

Perhaps Wal-Mart should consider one of their new C-Store concepts for Gaines Street.

http://www.csdecisions.com/classes/article/articledraw.aspx?HBC=news&CID=70282

I hear that if they do well out in California they would bring this new concept (for them anyway) to Florida next to get the jump in the SE US on the British retailer, Tesco.

The old Citgo station on the corner would be perfect for this as it's already permitted for inground tanks.

Edited to add: Secret GGG handshake & subliminal message. :shades:

To each their own. I dig the warehouses, and I'll be sad to see them go. Especially the one that houses The Warehouse pool hall - that's a damn cool building. New buildings built around a theme always wind up looking like a south Florida strip mall. Different folks, different tastes.

The decay of those warehouses is the basis on which the potential from Gaines Street was drawn. If my memory serves me correctly, many of these buildings were also included in the inventory of blighted facilities when the city did a study to determine whether or not they'd like to create a CRA for Downtown/Frenchtown, with the ultimate intent being the removal of such dilapidated structures. Many of those vacant buildings are very industrial in look and no longer serve a purpose for which they were originally constructed back during a more industrial age.

We are a clean city! Tallahassee needs to send a clear message about her identity. Just as we should not tolerate having a clean and beautiful Northeast and a sloppy looking Southwest, nor should we allow beautification on Kleman Plaza and piece mil on Gaines Street -- which in its current state, is a stain on the face of this city, but a buffable stain non-the-less. Removal of those industrial-looking warehouses and crumbling buildings, which are vacant and not serving a purpose, is vital to the redevelopment effort.

:)

See, I like formerly industrial areas that have been refurbished into cultural hubs. To me, that's how real cities look. Seriously, The Warehouse, with the high beams and long back porch (a former train station, or something like it) is a great building that I think should be saved and used. I don't care much for the cookie cutter look.

Now, I don't recall hearing cookie cutter thrown out, but I am by no means an advocate for that. But I do believe buildings ought to work well with one another in terms of compatibility. How does a nice mixed-use commercial building look adjacent to a metal warehouse? How would an upscale Convention Hotel look next door to a dirty car repair shop? Those are my concerns. I like the way the Railroad station looks and a few other buildings in the area.

See, I like formerly industrial areas that have been refurbished into cultural hubs. To me, that's how real cities look. Seriously, The Warehouse, with the high beams and long back porch (a former train station, or something like it) is a great building that I think should be saved and used. I don't care much for the cookie cutter look.

See, that I can agree with. Keep the buildings that are sound and still in use (The Warehouse, the row of shops that house What's the Point and Euphoria, the big one that the Beta Bar is in, etc), take out the crap like that gutted club, and push for a vision on any new buildings that's more city, less stucco.

Frankly, that castle of a hotel looks rediculous there, and doesn't gibe with the scheme of the strip at all. But then, I understand that the final results are not quite what was originally sold as the plan in that case.

The hotels are going to be the anchor of the corridor, and personally I'm excited about them. I personally feel we need more buildings on that side of downtown that are compatible, at least on the outside, with the Turlington Building, it's such an awesome piece of work.

Should we allow Gaines Street's future to be totally defined by what is currently in place? Some of those things are worth preserving, but the image of that area ought to change to be consistent with what Tallahassee is about as a capital city, and the image we're tying to create as a business friendly city.

Sometimes I get the feeling that people would like to see an expansion of some sort of bohemian oasis.

"Sometimes I get the feeling that people would like to see an expansion of some sort of bohemian oasis."

Taurean what is wrong with a bohemian oasis?.....it will be far more pleasing to the eye and I guarantee money will flow, coming from the pockets of young professionals, white collars, blue collars, students, faculty, and yes your four letter word bohemians. Look at Athens GA, and Gainesville FL....those bohemians and others are spending lots of cash to go to school there and visit. Look at the student body of those schools, they have buying power, and they want to go to school in "hip" and unique areas and would prefer that to anywhere USA, i.e. Tennessee St.

Create something unique that screams Tallahassee, the rolling hills and North Florida, and not a reminder of Palm Beach or Orlando, etc. Those areas are unique in their own way and show it. Tallahassee should reflect this region and history through architecture which brands us and makes us unique. Check out the exciting architecture in the All Saints area.

I will take bohemian any day over the piece of I am not sure on the corner of Gaines and Macomb. The Hotel belongs on the interestate and not the anchor of a redevelopment effort. I am not saying don't bring hotels in, but am saying they need to fit the character of the area. And that piece does not!

i agree with your comparison, but a thrift shop is not what i think of when i hear the words "desination area". maybe that's just me but i was expecting more.

So Gaines will now consist of:

- Hotel with no landscaping

- A grocery store (maybe)

- thrift shop

- FSU Fine Art Compound (complete with iron fence)

awesome.

Actually, there are four bars (three of them good music venues, haven't been in the place that's in the old Cow Haus), plus a skate shop, a bicycle shop, a tattoo parlor, a metalwork shop, that African-themed shop/poetry venue/meeting place, a photo studio, a couple auto garages - and that's not even getting into everything a block off Gaines in RR Square.

Archived