Gaines Street

Florida

^ i am talking about the new development that is planned for the area, not the stores that are already there. i am aware of all those things, i am disappointed about what is planned for gaines. but since nothing is brick and mortar yet, there is a chance things could be set right.

and again, a tat shop/skate shop/auto shop do not scream "destination area" to me. if that's not what its supossed to be, they should stop selling it as the same.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think everyone had a different opinion of a destination street. I personally would like to see a place where I can go window shopping, get something to eat and perhaps buy something. Perhaps Gaines need an activity place or something? Like a club or something? (Does it have a club besides late night library. I felt icky walking into there the one time I went).

Late Night's been closed for a while, so no - no dance clubs. Plenty of different bars and venues, though.

blackcoffee&bourbon:

What would you expect on a destination street? To me that means shops, nightlife, restaurants, and art galleries that are unique to the city. An area that has both day and evening options. Somwhere that is both worth living in and worth visiting. What are your hopes for the area?

(For the record, I don't think the Refuge Thrift store is part of the Grand Reimaging Plan, if you will. I think they just got some decent rent in an area of town that's appropriate to their business. Better a building in use than an empty space.)

The idea of an area as large as Gaines Street completely dominated by unconventional uses seems to shut out a large segment of our population who may not be "hip" to so much "uniqueness". I think the artsy side of those who consider themselves bohemian-friendly is nice, but no one style can't be appreciated by all. That said, wouldn't it seem more orderly if all of those eclectic uses were confined to where they currently are, bordered by Gaines, Railroad and the All-Saints Neighborhood yet "repackaged" in a way that makes them work a bit nicer with a Downtown setting?

There should be an element of creativity and class built into the designs of the new facilities along the strip, not just "whatever-we-can-convert-a-warehouse-into-stuff". That's all I'm saying. ^_^

The idea of an area as large as Gaines Street completely dominated by unconventional uses seems to shut out a large segment of our population who may not be "hip" to so much "uniqueness". I think the artsy side of those who consider themselves bohemian-friendly is nice, but no one style can't be appreciated by all. That said, wouldn't it seem more orderly if all of those eclectic uses were confined to where they currently are, bordered by Gaines, Railroad and the All-Saints Neighborhood yet "repackaged" in a way that makes them work a bit nicer with a Downtown setting?

Considering that it is the only section of town dominated by unconventional uses, it's not that large. Out of curiosity, who do you feel is shut out? I see all types down there, both high and low brow, a good mix of ages and ethnicities. I could see where someone who is only interested in high cost chain stores might not be down there very often, but that person certainly has other options in town, and more appearing all the time.

Frankly, when you say "orderly", a lot of us hear "mall-like". I prefer the image first suggested back in 2000:

"Internally, the neighborhood will promote the adaptive reuse of existing historic structures and respect the neighborhood's existing fabric, pattern of streets, historic and landscape character. Standards should protect features such as the area

You do realize that there is a 24/7 coffee shop (serving sweet stuff for that sweet tooth), two different restaurants with outdoor seating (one in RR Sq., one in front of the Beta Bar), a hairdressing shop, a rock gym, and at least half a dozen art galleries in the area, right? A grocery store is in the works, as we all know, and the rest of what you just asked for would fit neatly into the area, owned and run by locals, without compromising the feel of the district. I think I'm missing something in what you're asking for. Have you completely explored the Gaines Street/All Saints area?

You do realize that there is a 24/7 coffee shop (serving sweet stuff for that sweet tooth), two different restaurants with outdoor seating (one in RR Sq., one in front of the Beta Bar), a hairdressing shop, a rock gym, and at least half a dozen art galleries in the area, right? A grocery store is in the works, as we all know, and the rest of what you just asked for would fit neatly into the area, owned and run by locals, without compromising the feel of the district. I think I'm missing something in what you're asking for. Have you completely explored the Gaines Street/All Saints area?

I know Gaines is in the All Saints area, but if you're wanting a "Destination Area," then these indie type stores are not the way you want to go. A lot of students at FSU are not in to that, they are wanting to spend daddy's (and mom's, Poonther ha!) money on stuff at the mall, and if you want them to do it at Gaines instead, you're going to have to bring those type stores there. If your wanting the Indie businesses, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that, then your not going to have much success making it a destination for Tallahassee and the area.

If not, residents will keep spending their time/money around Market Street, which is an outdated version of what Im picturing regarding businesses.

I know Gaines is in the All Saints area, but if you're wanting a "Destination Area," then these indie type stores are not the way you want to go. A lot of students at FSU are not in to that, they are wanting to spend daddy's (and mom's, Poonther ha!) money on stuff at the mall, and if you want them to do it at Gaines instead, you're going to have to bring those type stores there. If your wanting the Indie businesses, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that, then your not going to have much success making it a destination for Tallahassee and the area.

I read this thread and it only reinforces that I doubt I ever see the day Gaines Street is any kind of destination area. The goal will be minimized to 'it is better than it was', but it has taken decades....will take many more...and too much tax payer money.

I would love to be wrong, but Tally just doesn't know how to do it.

I think GGG and some of our posters need to take a field trip to the Mill Avenue District in Tempe, AZ (). I am sure we have mentioned this before...

It's essentially what I would envision Gaines Street should approach. It links a major university (ASU) and a small city beautifully.

It combines unique "upscale" shopping that would appeal to both downtowners/area residents and FSU/FAMU students, but at the same time has funky (re: slightly bohemian) shops for people who aren't TJ (joking...).

None of the shops or restaurants on Mill Avenue are hugely expensive places to shop or dine. They would all fit in Tally's demographics IMHO.

Right now Gaines Street has the funky in spades and I like that, but I recognize that at the same time you need comfortable recognizable brands to bring in those who may be wary of the Gaines Street area's supposedly bohemian weirdness.

You can actually have it both ways if done right.

^ Ha....GGG and the other politicos would LOVE to take another field trip....the problem is that they wouldn't do anything with it once they returned! Don't we already have numerous examples of this happening??? I'm not dismissing your wonderful idea AiT, I think Tempe's Mill Avenue concept is a great idea for Gaines, I just hate to see more money wasted on a trip with absolutely no results upon return.

In this day and age, who needs to keep taking field trips. Do we not have video and images at our finger tips on demand. That's another way we can start saving some money. Stop paying for these people to go everywhere and make them sit in front of a projection screen! LOL!

I think that was Poonther with the Trader Joes zinger!

Archived