Gaines Street

Florida

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree, but my fear is similar to the visits to Madison, Austin, and Raliegh. The COT sent folks to learn how it was done by folks that succeed and only ignored most of their advice.

But who knows....maybe they figure it out, but I just don't see it and I definitely don't think it should take 3 decades until the goal is accomplished. I think this project started in the early 90s and we are almost in 2008. WAYYY too little progress. I don't get how the same folks keep getting elected here

St. Joe, I am starting to share your sentiments. Tallahassee's leaders lack the vision it takes to make Gaines a true destination. Look at the freaking Hotel on the corner! I have seen nicer ones on the interstate. Where is the architectural integrity? Are there some sort of architectural codes that are required for the area? We need some good local architecture that promotes Tallahassee's charm.

As far as I am concerned Gaines St., Monroe St., College, Macomb, Bradford, and Tennesse are an embarassment to Florida's Capital City.

Why is everything moving so slow?

Pre-Submittal

5. 650 Gaines Street (TPA070082) (21-36-90-086-9301) located on 1.03 acres at 650 Gaines Street. The proposed project is the construction of a 31,000 square foot retail building with condominiums on the top 2 floors. The property is zoned UV (University Urban)

PROJECT COORDINATOR: Northwest Team (891-7100)

Gordon Hansen

^Good find seminole. I've mentioned both those proposals here in the Gaines thread, but it has been awhile. I'm glad to see them officially coming in.

Of course the Starbucks is where the old BP use to be across from Doak. I've included it in my count of our local Starbucks invasion which at last count I believe was up to 13 stores.

The other proposal at 650 Gaines I believe is the proposal from the FAMU alum that TJ I think told us that COT was calling the project: Lake Worth. If I've got my info correct, it's on the north side of Gaines just west of the new hotel. I believe that is actually a vacant or partially vacant lot???

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this guys.

^Good find seminole. I've mentioned both those proposals here in the Gaines thread, but it has been awhile. I'm glad to see them officially coming in.

Of course the Starbucks is where the old BP use to be across from Doak. I've included it in my count of our local Starbucks invasion which at last count I believe was up to 13 stores.

The other proposal at 650 Gaines I believe is the proposal from the FAMU alum that TJ I think told us that COT was calling the project: Lake Worth. If I've got my info correct, it's on the north side of Gaines just west of the new hotel. I believe that is actually a vacant or partially vacant lot???

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this guys.

TJ, the meeting today was totally different than the last meeting...a difference of night and day. I'm sorry you missed it b/c the tone was much better.

I had been talking w/R. Manning on the phone this week about the problems you mentioned and I noticed w/the gate to the front and the bldgs to the back. Well a few members were in City Hall this week talking w/Comm. Mustian and then they saw her. She spoke to them about it not being pedestrian friendly etc etc and guess what? They've redrawn the whole plan w/the help of the folks at the Master craftsman studio and now the fence is gone. The bldg is being pulled to the front and they are trying to once again work on the aquarium effect. There maybe a small fence, but that will be to surround the sculpture garden. How's that for a 180? :)

Also for the current time, the fundraising has been put on hold since they had a guy attend from the FSU Fine Arts fundraising committee and he believes most of the funds for the initial phase may have already been secured or can be raised through the university and matching state funds. He was going to check into that.

Roxanne was at the meeting and also let us know the following info. about Gaines:

The Lake Worth project she believes is suppose to go where the ugly white bldg. is now that is falling down. If this true, that's great news. She stated that project would be pulled to the front and be longer than it is deep. She stated that it would only be 3 stories. I originally heard it was 6, I guess we'll just have to wait and see on that.

Roxanne and M. Parker took a trip to MO to visit the Hammon Group. They definitely want to do a hotel/convention center here w/65K convention space. There's also been a proposal for the old Chevron/State site for a hotel from a group in SC. They submitted some renderings, however when Hammon found out about this, they are now interested in this parcel. Something about how Hammon likes to own more than one hotel near their convention hotels. COT believes that a major announcement about the convention hotel will happen before the end of '07 w/dirt digging beginning sometime in'08. Apparently the Hammon folks were back in town the other day.

DOT still has not turned over Gaines to COT. COT use to say they would wait on fixing Gaines until FAMU Way was extended to Lake Bradford, however now COT is going to fix the Lake B/Gaines/Stadium Dr. intersection so traffic coming north on Lake B. can access St. Augustine and Madison and this MAY end the wait for FAMU Way extension.

The Master craftsman Studio may try and team up a little w/ArtSpace to help their project along too.

It was a very positive meeting. Could it be that we'll actually see somethings happen on and near Gaines in '08? Stay tuned.

Sounds great Poonther! Perhaps I should miss many more meetings.

I think a long building is exactly what we need over there to make things look like we're progressing. For Gaines Street, I'd rather have a long shorter building, than a narrow TALL one. Something about the way I see the final product shaking out in my mind.

Gotta love that Roxanne Manning! She's great isn't she!?

That was awesome news about the reworking of the plans for the building. It has almost restored my hope that this group may be able to focus on some creative ideas of our own for a change, not necessarily my Kaleidoscope idea.

We've still got some work to do to clean up the road. Perhaps GGG could put in a Bid to adopt Gaines Street and keep it clean. That would be a nice start.

:lol: I think you're right Poonther. I woke up this morning thinking about the big turn around you report at this last meeting. We definately need to choose a Gaines Street venue to hold all of our future meetings. At least, somewhere downtown, and the new rule needs to be meetings after 5. I'm going to suggest this.

Just got back from Boulder, Co and they had a street called Pearl Street. It was awesome. If FSU had something just half as good, it would be incredible.

I wish I had some pictures I could share.

But I have said, I don't see the COT being smart enough to make it happen. Gaines and Tenn. look like blighted areas by comparison to Pearl Street. Until locals demand more from the same old politicians, the area won't ever get more.

Just got back from Boulder, Co and they had a street called Pearl Street. It was awesome. If FSU had something just half as good, it would be incredible.

But I have said, I don't see the COT being smart enough to make it happen. Gaines and Tenn. look like blighted areas by comparison to Pearl Street. Until locals demand more from the same old politicians, the area won't ever get more.

"Now if FSU were to have it's version of Pearl Street, shouldn't FSU plan and pay for it? Seems only appropriate since it will be for the university, after all it is a self-permitting entity that has already shutdown several area streets for its purposes. "

University of Colorado has nothing to do with the development of Pearl Street and FSU is not in the business of developing Tally. It isn't a development company, it is a university whose purpose is to educate.....not develop a 'destination area'. I really have NO idea what FSU has to do with this. The only correlation is Boulder utilized the benefits of a nearby university to make Pearl Street attractive. Can COT do the same? I don't understand this point.

"Looking at what I saw of Pearl Street on ESPN during the game, I felt as if I could equate it to Adams Street Commons and out Downtown Getdown, but I understand it was in another city, not Tallahassee, so naturally we should feel it was better than our own. "

Adams Street Commons has as much similarity to Pearl Street as a pee wee football team does with an NFL one. It has nothing to do with envy or being in another town....it simply a huge destination area.....Adams Street Commons isn't even in the same universe.

"They are starting to feel the heat from our group and Gaines is back to being foremost in everyone's minds at COT from what I can gather. Of course it's not happening as fast as you or I would like, but some things will happen w/in the next year."

That would be great. I don't think 15 years later qualifies as looking for fast results. I would love to see some results next year....I am equally concerned that they are quality results. I would like to think a group such as yours or those involved in the project had some pictures and info on places like Pearl Street.

Archived