Gaines Street

Florida

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not looking like Key West. It's looking like the coastal areas just south from here. Key West is more Colorful than St. George Island and Panacea. Key West was just the a comparision for those who rarely venture south of Tallahassee (instead of South East).

I agree... Marble and polished stone is number one on my list. And much to the chagrin of some folks on here, I think the red brick's of FSU and the Gameday center are more Tallahassee. My grandparents home (circa 1920) was red brick, and it seems to be all over between DT and the hospital (which i believe to be an old as tally hood). Stucco is a great way to add cheap color, but if everything is stucco, its more like walking around in a cotton candy acid trip....

And the Parking Garage... yes indeed. It will do nothing but help!

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see you today TJ! I was gonna chat w/you after the meeting, but about the time I turned around, you had disappeared. You must have a magic wand. :)

Does anyone know the location of where Refuge House is going to put their thrift shop on Gaines?

Well that puts that issue to bed.

I don't think that certain segments of the public and their dislike for this project had anything w/them pulling out. Often times Wally-mart moves right in where folks are upset and picketing about a new store. The design restrictions on Gaines to have the bldgs at least two story w/residential above could have deterred them, however these design restrictions were in place way before they became interested in the parcel. Wally-mart will NOT be a landlord under any circumstances and if they were forced to build a 2nd story they were gonna put their own version of a coffee shop, sub shop and deli up there. And that would have killed existing businesses already there. So I'm glad that part (2nd story) did not happen. You gotta say, they are sort of like the Dementors of retail.

I think what Ruth Wharton (the lady from the Vitalization committee) was trying to say here was that in her opinion Wal-mart was not a good fit for the neighborhood, not that they would not have done any business. I've gotten to know her since I started working w/the Get Gaines Going Group and have found her to be a pretty level-headed, smart and dedicated to the community type of person. A lot of what is going on over at RR Sq is due to her. She and her hubby, The Sauce Boss, do a lot of good and fundraising for this community.

I see. And perhaps you and I aren't alone in this. I happened to be in Publix last night and I ran into another fellow catalyst who felt much the same way as you and I. Perhaps we ought to have a little sit down and discuss some of the ways we can improve this situation.

Wally-mart will NOT be a landlord under any circumstances and if they were forced to build a 2nd story they were gonna put their own version of a coffee shop, sub shop and deli up there. And that would have killed existing businesses already there. So I'm glad that part (2nd story) did not happen. You gotta say, they are sort of like the Dementors of retail.

Yikes T-man, you are correct and I was wrong, well until I add my forgotten words: Residential Landlords...my bad for not making that clear. Guess I didn't have enough coffee this morning. As to why Wally-mart wanted to do their own biz on the 2nd floor instead of leasing it out is beyond me, but that is what our source told us at our committee meeting.

TJ, do tell me more please via email.

Archived