Gaines Street

Florida

I am saying, it is easy to take the $4.1 million offer, but if this is going to be a desination area and attract artists, I think this makes more sense:

"Fox is vice-chairman of a committee that the city and county formed four years ago to look into creating a space for artists. He

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"oh ok. So you say you support Art Space over the other proposal? Even before we get details for the other plan. I'm truly Supportive of Art Space but I want to know what a person who would spend $ 4.5 million wants to build. If for nothing more than curiosity. "

I do as well....but whomever is going to spend that kind of money will likely always be building something 'more interesting'....and by the time you are done building on Gaines you won't have the arts space.

I don't want to waste an opportunity with a developer.....but at some point...EARLY in the process...the artist side has to be priority...or that aspect of the redevelopment will never happen.

On a side note.....I noticed that CITGO gas station was for sale. Anyone know what the city hasn't purchased that? Or that developer? That is a KEY property....I would think that would be purchased. I also noticed an old garage property near the civic center (across the new hotel) for sale.

Also, anyone know what is happening with the old city utility property near by?

As per the Democrat:

"Proponents say it would help efforts to revitalize Gaines Street, and they're hoping results from a recent survey will convince Tallahassee leaders to turn over a 4.5-acre, city-owned parcel at Gaines and Gay Streets."

If a developer is proposing to purchase the property to build a quality project, then I'm hoping the COT will accept this proposal. Why add another project to an increasingly long list of projects needing government and private donotations in a time where budget cuts are in such high demand. Turn it over to a developer for mixed use residential etc and let's get the show on the roll. There are plenty of parcels on Gaines Street for starving artists and if not, then there is plenty of availability on Lake Bradford.

I think that, without knowing more about what the private developer offering to purchase the site plans to do with it, it is a little premature to side one way or the other. I read the article in the Democrat this morning and I perked-up a little when I seem to recall it mentioning that the new private developer in the mix had some association with student-housing. We need full-time residents in the area (artists, recent graduates, retirees, whoever), not a student-housing complex that is empty 3 months out of the year with constant turnover; not necessarily b/c they are students, but b/c (as mentioned by Poonther or someone else on the board before), that isn't a demographic that is going to attract quality retail, grocers, etc. to the Gaines Street area. Once again, I don't know what the plans are, but I don't think student-housing should even enter the discussion for that parcel.

I don't understand why it has to be one or the other and why it can't be YES to both?? Like josefk and others, I'd like to know much much more about this private developer proposal than what has been reported in the Democrat which isn't much.

Understand that COT owns both parcels on the south side of Gaines @ Gay. They own the vacant lot at the SW corner (FL don't they refer to this parcel as the Salley Parcel?) and they own the old Bill's Bookstore at the SE corner of these two streets. I reported a few weeks ago that COT is about to demolish the old Bill's Bookstore. My first question would be: does the private developer want BOTH parcels or just one? If just one, why can't ArtSpace go on the other one? I know ArtSpace wanted one parcel more than the other b/c in the back they could connect via foot-bridge over a small canal to RR Sq. I'm not exactly sure which parcel that one is of these two. Also COT officials have talked about maybe and that's a big maybe buying the old Jax Liquor parcel near Woodward. If they bought that one, maybe ArtSpace could use it b/c they also have stated a desire to be next to the Master Craftsman Studio and that parcel is.

So since Gaines isn't exactly limited on redevelopment space and COT owns more than one parcel there, why can't a compromised be worked out and BOTH proposals could happen? When I read this article, I see hope for two needed things happening on Gaines, residences (I agree not all student housing) and ArtSpace. Hopefully they can work it out so that will happen.

They will most likely discuss this in detail at our Get Gaines Going meeting this Wed, but I will be not be able to attend since I've fled the wet cold weather of Tally this week for the sun and warmth of Boca Raton. josefk will you be able to attend this meeting? If so, would you kindly give at least me and the group some more insight to this proposal?

SJ the Citgo property is owned by the Ausley family in Tally. They were going to sell that parcel to COT, but when an inspection was done, they found the brownfields on and surrounding that property to be the worst in the area, so COT refused the property. That made very bad blood between COT and the Ausley family. The Ausely family has had two different interests in their property, one of which was Walgreens, but both backed out. I'm not sure why or if the reason was the brownfields. I do know they now have a new 3rd interested party in that parcel, but I'm not sure who or what it is. When the GGG send out code violation letters on Gaines Street, guess who squawked the hardest??? The Ausley family did even though their code infractions are minor compared to several on the street and easily fixed w/little time or money.

Knight Foundation giving $375,000 for Arts on Gaines

The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation has announced that it is giving a $375,000 grant toward the Arts on Gaines project.

That's $150,000 more money than Council on Culture and Arts had sought for the project. Arts on Gaines would mix affordable housing for artists with studio space. Proponents are eyeing a city-owned site at Gaines and Gay streets. However, city officials haven't signed off. Artspace, a Minneapolis-based nonprofit, is proposing the creating of up to 55 affordable-housing units and 30 studio spaces. Artspace is having a meeting 7-9 p.m. tonight to discuss the project and findings from a survey showing that a number of local artists support it. The meeting will be at the Marriott Residence Inn at Gaines Street and Railroad Avenue.

Source: TDO.com

Gaines Street Implementation Plan Update

City Commission Meeting

Decision made to reduce Gaines Down to two Lanes from Monroe to Lake Bradford with center Safety Median.

City Awaiting DOT transfer from State to City. In March, the execution of the transfer will be brought before the City Commission. There is one other such project in our district undergoing such a transfer (Pensacola).

There is TIITF property in the area that DOT currently doesn't own, however, the city has delt with all of these problems and will bring back those aspects in March.

Pensacola > Gaines > Woodward > St. Augustine will make up the total of the transfer. This will enable the city to complete the Gaines Street Revitalization project. Certain traffic lights will remain under DOT jurisdiction.

There is contamination on Gaines, but the city is cooperating with multiple entities to mitigate the problems. 727 samples have been taking on Gaines Street testing contamination thus far. There were no surprises, despite the contamination.

There is significant progress with FAMU Way that are helping to move things along. The City has its eyes set on a specific route the road will take, there is an estimate for funding, and FAMU seems to be cooperating with the improvements.

The City will be able to accelerate the re-working on Gaines by at least a year, by supplying utilities, and storm water services off-site.

Gaines Street Implementation Plan Update

City Commission Meeting

Decision made to reduce Gaines Down to two Lanes from Monroe to Lake Bradford with center Safety Median.

City Awaiting DOT transfer from State to City. In March, the execution of the transfer will be brought before the City Commission. There is one other such project in our district undergoing such a transfer (Pensacola).

There is TIITF property in the area that DOT currently doesn't own, however, the city has delt with all of these problems and will bring back those aspects in March.

Pensacola > Gaines > Woodward > St. Augustine will make up the total of the transfer. This will enable the city to complete the Gaines Street Revitalization project. Certain traffic lights will remain under DOT jurisdiction.

There is contamination on Gaines, but the city is cooperating with multiple entities to mitigate the problems. 727 samples have been taking on Gaines Street testing contamination thus far. There were no surprises, despite the contamination.

There is significant progress with FAMU Way that are helping to move things along. The City has its eyes set on a specific route the road will take, there is an estimate for funding, and FAMU seems to be cooperating with the improvements.

The City will be able to accelerate the re-working on Gaines by at least a year, by supplying utilities, and storm water services off-site.

Yes indeed... well at least since the City got involved. The state originally had a plan to widen the road, and make it more of an "expressway" in the words of our Beloved Commissioner Ratcliff, but the city decided to make it more of a Blvd.... to slow down traffic, and enhance the pedestrian friendly nature of the soon to be "Capital Corridor". It's something that is rarely done, but a good idea in my opinion.

I see where you're coming from, it will certainly do a lot to spruce up the area and make it more of a destination than a corridor, but that's going to make an already terrible traffic situation a whole lot worse for people commuting through that area. Do they have any plans to address that? I know we had some postings awhile back about Gaines becoming one-way but as I recall those plans were nixed.

I see where you're coming from, it will certainly do a lot to spruce up the area and make it more of a destination than a corridor, but that's going to make an already terrible traffic situation a whole lot worse for people commuting through that area. Do they have any plans to address that? I know we had some postings awhile back about Gaines becoming one-way but as I recall those plans were nixed.

• 3 weeks later...

Work to begin on outdoor exhibit at Railroad Square

The 621 Gallery, Wood + Partners, Landscape Architects, Inc. and the FSU Master Craftsman Studios will break ground on The 621 Gallery Sculpture Garden Project on Thursday, March 6th at 10:30 a.m. This project will to create Tallahassee

• 4 weeks later...
I love the trees in the median. My problem with the Gaines Street plan as a whole is that I don't know how the city can convince people to stop using Gaines as a major artery. Traffic in its current state is horrific. They would need to up the capacity of an ajacent street. Are there already plans for this?

Get Gaines Going: It's great to be a part of this future

David Malcolm

My View

Three years ago, the "Lumber Barn" at 612 S. Copeland St., probably looked odd, tired and abandoned to many people. We saw potential written all over it.

Some reminders of the old building, one block off of Gaines Street, remain intact today. Once inside, visitors to Wood+Partners Inc. (WPi) are taken aback by our design studio's dramatic two-story, bead-board ceiling, pine crossbeams and telltale massive barn doors. In this open and airy creative work environment, our team of landscape architects and land planners transform concepts and dreams into three-dimensional realities for clients.

WPi originated in 1988 in Hilton Head Island, S.C. In 2005, when we wanted a second location, we selected Tallahassee for its distinctive sense of place and community. A year later we opened a third office in Atlanta.

From these three bases we service clients in the Southeast and Caribbean, providing planning and design services for communities, resorts, colleges and institutions, parks and recreation, commercial centers and villages, and redevelopment plans for downtowns and urban areas.

Our firm made a conscious decision to plant roots in downtown Tallahassee and participate in the revitalization effort like many we have helped craft for clients and communities. When we removed the "for sale" sign, it was hard to miss that we were smack dab in the middle of the shabby and neglected Gaines Street corridor. Again, we saw potential written all over it.

While visionaries for years have dreamed that Gaines could and would someday be an arts and entertainment district where people live, work and play in safe surroundings, as the new kid on the block, we stepped up to the plate and said, "Okay. We'll take a chance."

It was easy. As planners and urban designers, transformation runs through our veins. While we recognize that government will be a vital partner in the redevelopment of Gaines Street, the true basis for this renaissance will be other private entrepreneurs who also envision future potential, like our neighbor, the Marriott Residence Inn.

We have been a part of the design team for the master plan of the commercial center of Evening Rose, a mixed-use community which will incorporate retail and commercial offices with residential units, a central park and village green.

In Perry, we are designing a traditional mixed-use community using historic Cypress Mill's 250-acre, urban-infill property next to Main Street. The project offers natural connectivity between the new development and downtown, and could help spur additional growth, boosting the entire city's economy.

Clearly, landowners spend millions of dollars to create from scratch many of the attributes already in place along Gaines and recent developments will accelerate the process.

The recent $375,000 grant from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation for pre-development of the Arts on Gaines projects speaks volumes about realizing the potential of Gaines Street's future as a quality, cultural center for all to enjoy. All Saints area is becoming a popular downtown destination and on the opposite end of Gaines, the historic WaterWorks building has been saved and Cascades Park will open in two years with world-class amenities and activities typically found in much larger markets.

The proposed Performing Arts Center will serve as the area's cultural centerpiece. Our firm is proud to have donated conceptual design services for the new Charles Hook Sculpture Garden at Railroad Square, a unique project to draw more attention and business to this unique conclave of creativity.

The Knight Creative Communities Initiative has renewed buzz to Get Gaines Going. By engaging new participants, well-established urban redevelopment practices are beginning to be accepted by groups of passionate citizens willing to help build momentum.

If you're of a similar mindset, come down to the neighborhood, visit our studio and see what "The Barn" has become. You may find yourself visualizing what an old roadway can become. And perhaps you'll take the ultimate step and join us as a property owner and continue the transformation that we believe has already begun.

The "Library" to be Torn Down

TALLAHASSEE -- Some former college students in Tallahassee may have some memories spending late nights at the "library."

The long-time Tallahassee landmark on Gaines Street, called the "Late Night Library," is getting the boot. So, its time for all you late night partiers to say goodbye to the popular night club.

Early next week the building, along with a few others on Gaines Street, will be completely torn down. It's part of the project to revitalize Gaines Street.

The "library" is nostalgic for many students, because they used to tell their parents they were out late at the "library."

Posted: 6:24 PM Mar 14, 2008

Last Updated: 6:24 PM Mar 14, 2008

Reporter: Andrea Candrian

Email Address: [email protected]

The "Library" to be Torn Down

TALLAHASSEE -- Some former college students in Tallahassee may have some memories spending late nights at the "library."

The long-time Tallahassee landmark on Gaines Street, called the "Late Night Library," is getting the boot. So, its time for all you late night partiers to say goodbye to the popular night club.

Early next week the building, along with a few others on Gaines Street, will be completely torn down. It's part of the project to revitalize Gaines Street.

The "library" is nostalgic for many students, because they used to tell their parents they were out late at the "library."

Posted: 6:24 PM Mar 14, 2008

Last Updated: 6:24 PM Mar 14, 2008

Reporter: Andrea Candrian

Email Address: [email protected]

^Artspace wants to go there along w/the parcel that the Old Bill's Bookstore is on too. I believe they are tearing down that building too.

Here's the company that has interest in Gaines:

Fairmount Properties

josefk are you saying that Bryan approached these folks? My ASSumption was that they approached our County Commission and that Bryan was just the point man for the deal. Either way it's a good thing. I like Bryan and I wish all the County Commissioners were more like him, however sometimes he is just a little too Republican for me. :lol:

^Artspace wants to go there along w/the parcel that the Old Bill's Bookstore is on too. I believe they are tearing down that building too.

Here's the company that has interest in Gaines:

Fairmount Properties

josefk are you saying that Bryan approached these folks? My ASSumption was that they approached our County Commission and that Bryan was just the point man for the deal. Either way it's a good thing. I like Bryan and I wish all the County Commissioners were more like him, however sometimes he is just a little too Republican for me. :lol:

Archived