Gaines Street

Florida

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, for my tastes (which we've already established are not universal by any means):

- utilize many buildings that are already there, in the way that Euphoria and What's the Point have been using that little strip right before Railroad. It's bright, it's urban, it harkens back to the history of the area, it's hip in a way that's fairly timeless. Plus, it's already there. See also The Warehouse, a great pool hall in a great space. I'd love to see that other warehouse space attached to the Warehouse itself cleaned up and used for retail, studio, or living areas. These little old "funky" spaces could look very cool spaced in among newer buildings of different heights, and we wouldn't wind up with a length of road that looks like a new strip mall due to uniformity.

- I'd like to see residence and studio space above retail/commercial space any time there are a couple stories built. I'd also like that upstairs space to actually be affordable to musicians, younger locals, artists, local business owners, etc, but that's probably a pipe dream.

- make sure sidewalks are wide and well maintained in front of new spaces - the "castle" Marriott is crammed up to the road with no landscaping, and it looks like crap.

- push new buildings to incorporate green spots, patios, and courtyards where they can, encouraging local businesses to spill outside without blocking foot traffic - we've got the weather, why not enjoy it?

- semi-permanent murals and walls left for taggers both already add color and changing interest to the area, and I'd rather see more of that than less.

- I'd be happy with brick or with wood, really, but stucco doesn't seem to fit - let's not forget that the character of the area today is what it is, in part, because of the formerly industrial/railroad-based nature of the street.

Just off the top of my head, but those are my thoughts. Like I've said before - more Atlanta East Village or Little Five Points than ATL Midtown or (God forbid) Buckhead.

FF I'd be all for leaving some of the buildings that are currently there and just sprucing them up a little. Look at how successful this has been in Midtown Tally. The best block of the street that is currently there is the one just east of RR that you've mentioned. However many of the buildings west of RR won't work b/c they just need to be condemned. Of course the Warehouse is an exception.

I definitely think we could learn more and better ideas about urban infill from many other cities than just ATL.

• 4 weeks later...

CITY OF TALLAHASSEE

CITY COMMISSION AGENDA ITEM

ACTION REQUESTED ON: January 9, 2008

SUBJECT/TITLE: Presentation by Council on Culture and Arts Regarding Arts on Gaines Project

TARGET ISSUE: Economic Development

STATEMENT OF ISSUE

The Council on Culture and Arts (COCA) has been working with Artspace Projects Inc. on the concept for developing a facility on Gaines Street that would provide office and rehearsal space for nonprofit art groups and work/live space for individual artists. Artspace is an organization that specializes in residential developments for artists. As part of the project development process, Artspace and COCA conducted a survey to determine the level of interest amongst artists and art related businesses in the proposed Gaines Street Project. The representatives from COCA wish to present a summary of those survey results and provide an update on their progress in developing the Arts on Gaines concept.

Summary of Survey Results

It all hinges on the road transfer from DOT to COT as I've been saying. Well that was suppose to happen at the end of '07. However DOT found out (I'm not sure if COT knew this or not) that part of Gaines isn't actually owned by DOT or COT but by private landowners. So DOT can't transfer what is not theirs. According to COT officials, this transfer complication shouldn't be too big of a deal and the road will be transferred by summer of '08.

Great Great report and progress by you, Poonther, and josefk! Keep up the great work you two!

BTW, letters work. I mean really! You don't like how something is going in the community or with a business... a nice e-mail or phone call will most certainly get someone's attention. I can truly attest to this.

Great Great report and progress by you, Poonther, and josefk! Keep up the great work you two!

BTW, letters work. I mean really! You don't like how something is going in the community or with a business... a nice e-mail or phone call will most certainly get someone's attention. I can truly attest to this.

• 2 weeks later...

The Democrat reported an offer on the lot at Gay on Gaines (The same lot artspace was looking at). A $4.1 million offer by a residential developer! That is a nice sign! Which ever way this property goes, its going to be great! I wonder who here can get more info on the who's and what's on this res developer?!

That's true. A mentallity like that would bring more than a simple residential development. There are other plots of land along there that either might be able to change too aswell. But one thing is certain, people are about it! A plot of property, in a hopeful location, with some demand! Combined with the talk of a DT Biking event with regional pull, its signs of a good new year for the area!

Archived