Gaines Street

Florida

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^Artspace wants to go there along w/the parcel that the Old Bill's Bookstore is on too. I believe they are tearing down that building too.

Here's the company that has interest in Gaines:

Fairmount Properties

josefk are you saying that Bryan approached these folks? My ASSumption was that they approached our County Commission and that Bryan was just the point man for the deal. Either way it's a good thing. I like Bryan and I wish all the County Commissioners were more like him, however sometimes he is just a little too Republican for me. :lol:

Poonther or Josefk, can either of you shine some light on how GGG brought about this demolition? Who's paying for it? What will become of the properties during the interim? Will we see another lot similar to what we previously knew as the "Grande/Floridian" lot where the BP used to stand at the corner of Tennessee & Monroe? I thought Bill Moor was the chairman of GGG, when did your girl take the reigns?

I know I'll have more questions later...

Thanks for posting that TD.

^I do believe that is a mistake about Shelia being chairperson of the GGG. I've always been told that Bill Moor, BIL of Desolge, was the chairperson. Also last I knew, which was just recently, the Ausley family of Tally owned the Citgo station. COT wanted to buy it several months back, but when they found out how bad the contamination was on that parcel they backed out....leaving bad blood between the COT and the Ausley family. I've heard about several retailers being interested in the Citgo site, but the last one I heard was Office Max...you know the company that left us that ugly hidden bldg. next to Target on the Parkway.

I ASSume COT is paying to demolish their properties, but the Ausleys or whoever is buying their property is paying for that demolision.

Josefk might remember some more details than me. There's a GGG meeting tomorrow, I'll ask a few of your questions for clarification tomorrow FL.

As per this article from the Democrat, it's not the Citgo, but the Chevron at MLK that is being torn down. COT does own the old Chevron and the State use to own it before. I like how in the article Michael Parker of COT talks about how great this all is. He has been one of the hardest COT employees to get behind Gaines IMHO. We've had to twist his arm all along and he's been full of empty promises and telling us one thing and the City Commission/City Manager another.

I'm not at all saying I approve of his behavior. I've been disappointed by him numbers of times over. I worked in the City Managers office, and while there I would have loved to have studied under him and his department as that is where my true interest in City Government lies. He was very quick with me in person, he offered little information when I asked him questions about specific projects, and even today is reluctant to answer my calls. I don't approve of him appearing friendly on TV and being so unapproachable in person. Not at all my idea of Tallahassee's greatest.

"There's no doubt in my mind that Michael Parker is totally behind Gaines, I think his problem is with Citizens groups getting involved and asking questions. "

What a sad...SAD position for a city employee to take.

Does anyone have a map of where these properties are?

Parker said the demolition wasn't timed with any specific proposals for Gaines Street, but made sense now because the city is having to pay for maintenance such as repairing broken windows.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a perfect example of how Parker would omit relevant information about a proposal for these properties that are being cleared. Classic example of his behavior. What he needs to understand is when people feel informed about what's going on, they're more likely to support it and get excited about it.

Archived