Hampton Roads Military Developments

vdogg

Oh yeah and Lillian Vernon may be in the path too and that company employees as many as 3500 employees during peak periods. If you add the homes with the businesses that are in the way you come up with a grand total of about $700 million dollars that the city would have to come up with to buy these folks out. I cannot even imagine the city being able to or even willing to invest that much money to keep Oceana around.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah and Lillian Vernon may be in the path too and that company employees as many as 3500 employees during peak periods. If you add the homes with the businesses that are in the way you come up with a grand total of about $700 million dollars that the city would have to come up with to buy these folks out. I cannot even imagine the city being able to or even willing to invest that much money to keep Oceana around.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the state is also making the big decision so it might be state money too. I hope they don't make a bad decision that costs the rest of the state population for something that will leave in the near future. :unsure:

Don't even get me started here. I feel the city could have paid the $15 million it was worth and used the other $15 million to lure a good paying corporation to relocate here. They could have easily re-sold the property recouping the $15 million if they needed to. In addition who knows if the base will even remain here. Now the city is out $15 million dollars (or should I say we are out that much). I think those knee-jerk reactions are returning again.

Don't even get me started here. I feel the city could have paid the $15 million it was worth and used the other $15 million to lure a good paying corporation to relocate here. They could have easily re-sold the property recouping the $15 million if they needed to. In addition who knows if the base will even remain here. Now the city is out $15 million dollars (or should I say we are out that much). I think those knee-jerk reactions are returning again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its not just the city i read that there is state money involved. I don't think the state should pay for the cities big screw up! Even if this was Norfolk I would oppose it due to the facts: 1. There is no guarantee that the base will stay for the long run 2. The city went ahead after the navy said it wouldn't be a good idea. I still hear that if the jets leave the navy will keep the land and not turn it over to the city or state. Is this true? :unsure: If it is the city is just screwed either way! But the navy couldn't stop the development around it unless they purchased the land themselves! Either way Vabeach is screwed. Now the dispose of a potentially nice condo project! Makes me very angry dude! :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about not spent the taxpayer's 15 million to a corporation, or wasted it on overpaying for some property at a peak in the market?

If a developer owns the land, let the developer develop. It's their property. If people are dumb enough to overpay, let them. If oceana can perform better someone else, LET IT MOVE. Don't waste everyone's money trying to keep the base here. The base warned Virginia Beach. Virginia Beach didn't stop the growth, and the gov't didn't buy the land when they had the opportunity to do it cheaply. Now the area doesn't serve the base, so let the base leave.

These last few posts have really confused me. VB voted by majority to pay $15 million to buy the land on which an approved condo development was to be built. That cost will be split evenly: $7.5 MM by VB and $7.5 MM by the state. Since this parcel is not within APZ1, VB still must purchase $15 million worth of land within APZ1 bringing the first year total to $30 million. VB's share would then be $15 MM and the state would provide the other $15 million. $15 million represents 1% of VB's $1.5 Billion operating budget.

VB felt it necessary to complete the purchase because this development was repeatedly referenced by BRAC 2005 as why Oceana must go: development within the APZ over Navy objections. Although the property is not within APZ1, VB had stated it would purchase the land prior to BRAC's recommendations. VB rightly felt that if it did not purchase the land, despite it not being within APZ1, it would continue the bad blood.

The window to buy the land was closing since the project was approved and the developer was not going to wait for the city to decide what to do. VB had to act. It does not appear that the city has decided what course of action it wants to take: purchase the land within APZ1 or refuse to comply. As such, VB bought the parcel to show "good faith", as the window to buy it was closing, in order to buy more time to fully evaluate the two aforementioned options. It seems that VB is awaiting BRAC 2005's final report (it's in draft form now) to see if there is a guarantee of keeping Oceana if VB complies with the requirements. After the final report is released, I expect VB to make a final decision on how it plans to proceed. Until then, nothing is certain.

so now the people in the apz 1 should feel real good now since they know the true intentions of the city. The city council should be kicked out now and put some people in there with some common sense. This is dumb by the city. BRAC even said that they can't garantee that the base will stay even after all of the land is purchased. LET IT GO! Don't turn your back on your citizens. If they did this to me I would never move or support that city ever again! If Vabeach does this I will never buy or do anything in that city again

Instead of funneling your anger on this board, funnel it towards VB officials. Tell them you'll start a boycott. Tell them you grew up in Norfolk. Went to school in Norfolk. And live in Norfolk.

Anyway, what are the true intentions of the city? Have they announced anything? Has the President even signed off on the BRAC recommendations? The city put itself in a position that forced it to buy the land prematurely. It's been 3 weeks. The city has until March '06 to decide if it wants to comply with BRAC recommendations. That's assuming that these recommendations are finalized. There'll be plenty more of political haggling in the months to come.

What the hell does it have to do with me living in Norfolk? Tell them that you left and live in california. I still live in the region you don't! I've lived in Vabeach for 2 years and have relatives in Vabeach so whats your point? :huh: I also spend my money at TCC in Vabeach so they do get my money!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1) TCC is not run by VB. It is run by TCC.

2) My parents live in VB, so we're even on that.

3) Have you ever voted in VB elections?

4) I have nothing to tell them because it's too early to form a decision. You're already jumping to conclusions based off a purchase they promised to do. If they reneged on their promise, VB would've shut the door on Oceana before BRAC releases its final report. That's not prudent.

Actually I have voted in Vabeach! My taxes go there when i spend money! Also I try to look at this area as one not 7 seperate entities. We all effect each other so all of the news pertains to me. I spend money in Vabeach all the time! :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm...Now the argument in the Va. Beach forum is starting to come into context. I just saw the comments there and was like, wtf? Everybodies opinion is welcome and since the original intent of this forum was to promote development as a region then there is nothing wrong with one person from one part of this region commenting on development in another. It's just the same as Richmond people commenting in here and vice versa. That you both have different opinions is evident, I think it's the approach to this difference which is causing issues. Hoobo, I hold much the same opinion as Rus in that I believe the beach may be making and unwise purchase in buying this property, especially in light of it not being in one of the identified target zones. Rus, I think we both know you can be a bit intense at times :lol: , I think sometimes your tone can come off as an attack which i've learned after the now eons of dealing with you that that is not necessarily the case. :thumbsup:.

Hmm...Now the argument in the Va. Beach forum is starting to come into context. I just saw the comments there and was like, wtf? Everybodies opinion is welcome and since the original intent of this forum was to promote development as a region then there is nothing wrong with one person from one part of this region commenting on development in another. It's just the same as Richmond people commenting in here and vice versa. That you both have different opinions is evident, I think it's the approach to this difference which is causing issues. Hoobo, I hold much the same opinion as Rus in that I believe the beach may be making and unwise purchase in buying this property, especially in light of it not being in one of the identified target zones. Rus, I think we both know you can be a bit intense at times  :lol: , I think sometimes your tone can come off as an attack which i've learned after the now eons of dealing with you that that is not necessarily the case.  :thumbsup:.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wasn't attacking him just stating how i feel and people probably take me wrong but i'm for this entire area! If a f500 company came here I would hope it would come to Norfolk but I would rather go anywhere in this area instead of leaving. I love this entire area, even though it pisses me off at times. I've been other places and will always come back to this place. I love the beaches here and the atmosphere here. Its like no where else! :thumbsup:

Gee, why doesn't he just come to VB and take it huh??  :angry: No wonder I hate politics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually this is very good for us. It gurantees that if they leave they leave completely instead of just sitting here tying up viable, taxable, land for years on end and denying us any ability to recover.

Actually this is very good for us. It gurantees that if they leave they leave completely instead of just sitting here tying up viable, taxable,  land for years on end and denying us any ability to recover.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is true dude! But it seems that the navy still wants something at that base for some reason.

Actually this is very good for us. It gurantees that if they leave they leave completely instead of just sitting here tying up viable, taxable,  land for years on end and denying us any ability to recover.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I have mixed emotions about the whole idea of the base closing. I do want the city to be more than a military town and tourist resort but at the same time a billion dollar whole is pretty hard to fill. But as you state we would rather have it either stay in its entirety or not at all. I agree wholeheartedly on that point.

Archived