Hampton Roads Military Developments

vdogg

I mean, do you have anything offical like from the BRAC itself.  Warner could be playing politics here just as many here say Jeb is in Florida.

I wonder why more do not mention that aspect of it.  Most media points to a complete closure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, nothing else other than a different article in the pilot stating the same thing but from a different source (i'll try to look that up for you too). I have no reason to doubt the governor on this nor do I see any reason why they should close the whole base seeing as the encroachment is an issue only related to the jets themselves. Also when you say most media to which media do you refer? This has barely if at all been covered on the national level. If your speaking of local media it may be them slanting the story more towards the local point of view (just as they may be doing here). All I can tell you is look into it and research it. You said pointedly that you had not heard of it anywhere else so I pulled up an example of where it had been said.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I wonder how this will factor into Jeb Bush's push for re-opening Cecil.  He already told the BRAC that the $200 million cash offer isn't likely going to be made, if only a part of Oceana's operations are relocated to Jax.  Florida's game plan appears to be all or nothing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Florida could still benefit immensly from the relocation of the jets. The way BRAC is acting, even if Jeb doesn't offer $200 million I think they will still push for Oceana to be aligned.

If they move the jets and such I wonder why they would have to keep such tight restrictions being the main reason moving them was b/c they couldn't practice like they wanted to because of the density around the base. Seems like they could lighten up on things a bit.

See we are getting screwed here. They are keeping the base but taking away the economic generator for us. They are screwing us with no vaseline IMO. If this is the case I'd tell the stupid brac to buy the land themselves if this seems to be the case. Oceana is being realigned point blank. Viper need any more proof?

I don't think that works against the feds

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is what confuses me. Doesn't the 4th Amendment protect against unlawful seizure? When a municipality or state uses eminent domain to take private property they reimburse the owner for the assessed value of the property. If the owner sues they usually get the market value and even more. Today, when the federal gov't wants property, they buy it or at least reimburse the owner. Since the feds never reimbursed the Commonwealth when they took the land for Oceana (either by buying it or leasing it) wouldn't the state have justification in taking it back if the land is no longer being used? Can the military actually squat on the land letting it sit idle? When a base is closed, if the feds owned the land, they auction it off. If the land was seized from the state for defense reasons (i.e. WWII) then title reverts back to the state. Since Oceana is seized state land, then Virginia should get it back if the primary purpose of the facility is terminated.

This is what confuses me.  Doesn't the 4th Amendment protect against unlawful seizure?  When a municipality or state uses eminent domain to take private property they reimburse the owner for the assessed value of the property.  If the owner sues they usually get the market value and even more.  Today, when the federal gov't wants property, they buy it or at least reimburse the owner.  Since the feds never reimbursed the Commonwealth when they took the land for Oceana (either by buying it or leasing it)  wouldn't the state have justification in taking it back if the land is no longer being used?  Can the military actually squat on the land letting it sit idle?  When a base is closed, if the feds owned the land, they auction it off.  If the land was seized from the state for defense reasons (i.e. WWII) then title reverts back to the state.  Since Oceana is seized state land, then Virginia should get it back if the primary purpose of the facility is terminated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well the problem is that they could keep some commands there and say it still needs that land for other operations. They will use it for other expansions or for so called future expansions. For some reason the feds don't want to let it go and I think thats why its a realignment not a closure. What are these special ops anyways?

Well the problem is that they could keep some commands there and say it still needs that land for other operations. They will use it for other expansions or for so called future expansions. For some reason the feds don't want to let it go and I think thats why its a realignment not a closure. What are these special ops anyways?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SEALs are based at Little Creek and in San Diego. Then again, unless they're parachuting I don't see why they'd need an air base. Couldn't special ops be moved to Fentress?

I think that the special ops are more than just the SEALs and they are also at Damneck annex. There is a compound there. We will never know what the special ops are so we might as well stop talking about it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Suit yourself, but I'm gonna do to a special ops recon mission to find out.

"Special forces" can consist of several special forces from all branchs of the military. The Marine Corps. has RECON, the Navy of course has the SEALS, the Army has Green Berets, & the Air Force has special ops. I have personnally seen each of these forces in execrises at Camp Lejeune and Little Creek.

Most recently I was going to the commissary at little creek when i first moved here a few years back and somehow got in the middle of a convoy. A humvee in front of me slammed on his breaks a wooded stretch of road so i was forced to slam on my breaks as well to miss him. a curtain opened and about 10 different people jumped out and dissapeared into the woods. they all had to run by my car and i know for sure from being in the usmc that some of those were recon, some were seals and some i think were rangers or berets. it scared the crap out of my wife, but i thought it was cool as hell.

WTKR version of the story

I guess those people want peace and quiet! Can't blame them but they should look at the economic benefits from it. But I guess that they moved all the way out there to get away from everything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When it comes to NIMBY's it doesn't matter what the economic benefits are for the entire region. I'm sure the mayor is taking this with a grain of salt.

When it comes to NIMBY's it doesn't matter what the economic benefits are for the entire region.  I'm sure the mayor is taking this with a grain of salt.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really don't think the gov. or the mayor really cares about what those people think anyways. I don't think its enough people to change anything anyways.

Fellas, I still read that Oceana would be closed, not realigned.

www.house.gov even stated it was closure.

This pres release from the BRAC itself notes of closure, not realignment.

http://www.brac.gov/docs/PressRelease_12Aug2005.pdf

**^^PDF File^^**

I hope Warner just made a mistake in that statement or else he could be misleading a lot of people including those on VB council.

Archived