Hampton Roads Military Developments

vdogg

I am cautiously opitimistic from this report that cool heads will prevail on the city council. It seems like they're taking a step in the right direction.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only time will tell in this situation. I hope they see that this could end up putting the city in a hole if they decide to spend that money on Oceana! :huh:

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was confused by that statement as well. Were the carriers first based in Cecil or have they always been here and they just moved the jet base from Cecil?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When Cecil closed, 156 aircraft and all it's support personnel and civillians went to Oceana, that's what I meant by a form of homecoming.

Va. has less than year to save Oceana

"In agreeing to let the Virginia Beach airfield stay open, the Base Realignment and Closure Commission required the cities of Virginia Beach and Chesapeake to buy up any land surrounding the airfield and the outlying Fentress Field in Chesapeake that is not compatible with Navy use.

But the plan - a compromise crafted to avoid closing Oceana and reopening Cecil Field in Florida - had not specified how the requirements would be enforced.

The new enforcement tool, adopted in the closing minutes of a marathon concluding day of base-closure deliberations Friday, requires the U.S. comptroller general of the Government Accountability Office to certify by June 1, 2006, that Virginia has done all that is required to keep Oceana open. If that certification is not made, Oceana could still be closed."

So this new enforcement rule makes it sound as if Oceana can stay open forever if they comply with buying the land by June 1. Maybe not?

Asked why he allowed for the compromise deal instead of pushing to close the base, Principi said, "We weren't sure we had seven votes" - the minimum required for Oceana to have been shut down.

^^^What an a**. So much for being concerned about our community. :angry:

So I guess they are giving us until June of next year to buy up all of the encroaching property. I still don't know if that can be done.. or even should be. And what about BRAC's earlier statement that they would eventually seek another location for the base. There are still unanswered questions.

So I guess they are giving us until June of next year to buy up all of the encroaching property. I still don't know if that can be done.. or even should be. And what about BRAC's earlier statement that they would eventually seek another location for the base. There are still unanswered questions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We have till june of next year to spend $420 million. I don't think thats posssible without financially crippling our city.

I thought it was $268 million. Is this a new figure?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From the Pilot

City officials estimate it would affect about 1,800 homes assessed for a total of $268 million , but the actual cost could be much higher.

Last week, the City Council agreed to spend $161 million over the next 20 years to keep development out of the flight path between Oceana and a training field in Chesapeake.

That means the total cost to preserve Oceana could top $420 million.

Why would the council spend  $161 million over the next 20 years to keep development out of the flight path between Oceana and a training field in Chesapeake if they didn't want to spend it all? I'm getting confused.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually that was the city's response to the encrochment before the BRAC commission decided to give us till next June to ward off encroachment.

Actually that was the city's response to the encrochment before the BRAC commission decided to give us till next June to ward off encroachment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly, then BRAC gave us this deadline which effectively means we have to pony up $268 million immediately.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I knew they would change the time to have all of those houses bought. The BRAC knows the its almost impossible to achieve something like this. I hope Jeb is really filling their pockets well. I know Jeb got this on the closure list this late. He is the key for Oceana's possible closure and the impossible deadline.

I knew they would change the time to have all of those houses bought. The BRAC knows the its almost impossible to achieve something like this. I hope Jeb is really filling their pockets well. I know Jeb got this on the closure list this late. He is the key for Oceana's possible closure and the impossible deadline.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you prove that or is it just speculation?

The simple fact of development pressures in the area will likely doom Oceana. As others have said, it's probably best to let go and move on to use the land for something else. The intentions of the government are clear in this case, however convoluted their presentation may have been. I don't think it has anything to do with Florida vs. Virginia. I can see the same thing happening with Keesler AFB in Biloxi in a few years as development heats up in that area as well. it will then be in their best interest to move on without the airfields.

The simple fact of development pressures in the area will likely doom Oceana.  As others have said, it's probably best to let go and move on to use the land for something else. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah use the land to develop the entire Oceanfront and not one lousy block into it. If people are buying up condos in Norfolk like crazy, I am sure they can lure people to buy 2-3 blocks from the Oceanfront.

City council loves development so much? They should spend the $400+ million getting the Oceanfront turned into something akin to Norfolk's downtown with highrise condos overlooking the OCEAN. Turn Oceana to a huge airport and get direct flights from Montreal (I see Quebec plates here all the time), NYC, etc. Get Norfolk to give up ORF by agreeing to do a light-rail line from the Oceanfront to Norfolk's CBD. ORF could be redeveloped into prime waterfront land and a mixed use area.

If the Navy is so worried about lawsuits and all that, they could just pass a law that says if the military crashes into your house, you can't sue. It's the government...

We are a big area and not Podunk, USA so once the Navy leaves, we'd be alright. Sacramento is doing great without their AFB base. So Cal is not hurting either last I checked. We need to get out of this "military mentality" and diversify. If the hoiusing prices plummet, I am sure there are a lot of people from the NE who will be more than happy to sell their houses and buy here and drive up prices, wait isn't that what is happening anyway?

City council loves development so much?  They should spend the $400+ million getting the Oceanfront turned into something akin to Norfolk's downtown with highrise condos overlooking the OCEAN.  Turn Oceana to a huge airport and get direct flights from Montreal (I see Quebec plates here all the time), NYC, etc. Get Norfolk to give up ORF by agreeing to do a light-rail line from the Oceanfront to Norfolk's CBD.  ORF could be redeveloped into prime waterfront land and a mixed use area. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you want to turn Oceana into an international airport, the city would still have to condemn all those houses and businesses, and then some. Someone from the military was talking about this in an article and he said that if Oceana was a commercial airport that planes would not be flying at all from there right now because of the development. So be careful what you wish for...

If you want to turn Oceana into an international airport, the city would still have to condemn all those houses and businesses, and then some. Someone from the military was talking about this in an article and he said that if Oceana was a commercial airport that planes would not be flying at all from there right now because of the development. So be careful what you wish for...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We are not going to have three airports and Norfolk International is not going anywhere. Biotech park is what the city should market itself for or another auto manufacturing plant of some sort or possible boeing or lockheed martin.

We are not going to have three airports and Norfolk International is not going anywhere. Biotech park is what the city should market itself for or another auto manufacturing plant of some sort or possible boeing or lockheed martin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nor do i want an airport at the oceanfront. Once the planes leave they should stay gone so we can build taller, skinnier, hotels that free up open space and make the oceanfront more attractive.

Nor do i want an airport at the oceanfront. Once the planes leave they should stay gone so we can build taller, skinnier, hotels that free up open space and make the oceanfront more attractive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. I think they need to bring out the potential of the oceanfront back up. I think they need to let Pharell and Bruce Smith and that developer develop that piece of land for adult entertainment like they wanted to. I think we seriously need some high tech jobs here and this is the perfect opportunity for this to occur. I think the council needs to go out and advertise itself for the development of the land around the airfield till its freed up and then build a huge park for this. :thumbsup:

In today's Pilot was an article on what is at stake if Oceana closes. Economist Gilbert Yochum was interviewed in the article. He says the city of VB would be hit hardest but the ripple effects in the area would be minimal. He says the income reduction would be about $1.7 billion dollar in the region's gross regional product. With the closing it would net a total of about 19k jobs leaving the area. He says it would take 3-4 years to recover. There would be about 4000 houses on the market for sale in the city and of course housing values would drop.

In today's Pilot was an article on what is at stake if Oceana closes. Economist Gilbert Yochum was interviewed in the article. He says the city of VB would be hit hardest but the ripple effects in the area would be minimal. He says the income reduction would be about $1.7 billion dollar in the region's gross regional product. With the closing it would net a total of about 19k jobs leaving the area. He says it would take 3-4 years to recover. There would be about 4000 houses on the market for sale in the city and of course housing values would drop.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ouch. Keep in mind though that the BRAC commission is not actually talking about closure. There was an article (one of many) on the pilot that said the BRAC commision has only mentioned Oceana for realignment (albeit significant). We would likey lose all the jets and master jet base status but will likely keep the secret mission and other operations. They pointed out that if this were the case we would at most lose 7000 jobs. Significant but not devastating. The economist in this article is pointing out the absolutely worst possible doomsday scenario.

Ouch. Keep in mind though that the BRAC commission is not actually talking about closure. There was an article (one of many) on the pilot that said the BRAC commision has only mentioned Oceana for realignment (albeit significant). We would likey lose all the jets and master jet base status but will likely keep the secret mission and other operations. They pointed out that if this were the case we would at most lose 7000 jobs. Significant but not devastating. The economist in this article is pointing out the absolutely worst possible doomsday scenario.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I want them to close completely so it frees up all of those acres up. To go through all of this and not gain land would suck so bad! :sick:

Archived