Hampton Roads Military Developments

vdogg

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rusthebus linked us to a comment by Gov Warner stating Oceana was only going to be realigned, not closed.

Isn't Warner on some kind of defense council or something? I figured Warner would be one of the most knowledgable about this but why is he saying realignement when BRAC is saying closure?

Rusthebus linked us to a comment by Gov Warner stating Oceana was only going to be realigned, not closed.

Isn't Warner on some kind of defense council or something?  I figured Warner would be one of the most knowledgable about this but why is he saying realignement when BRAC is saying closure?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sen. John Warner is the Chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee. I don't know if Gov. Mark Warner is on any kind of governors' or state defense council. His expertise is business and technology, so he's heavily involved in business promotion and advocating bringing in new technology industries to Virginia.

460 isnt crap out of over 17k so whats the big deal? You guys will get the jets regardless.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you read toward the end it states that there is 2100 acres of land that belong to the parks and recreation. 460 of which is what the equestrian and pool center is built on. Transfering that land by law would require the government to leave that land as public park and access.

If you read toward the end it states that there is 2100 acres of land that belong to the parks and recreation.  460 of which is what the equestrian and pool center is built on.  Transfering that land by law would require the government to leave that land as public park and access.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well what does this mean for Jax or cecil field then? Does this throw a wrench in their plans or just something to talk about? I hope that if Oceana closes down that they don't hold on to the land like I hear them planning on doing. Its not fair to close shop and then continue to hold on the land.

If thats the case whats up with dragging Florida into this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Navy wants one thing (the optimum training option) the while BRAC wants another (least expensive option that meets minimum training criteria). The Navy doesn't want Cecil; they want to stay at Oceana and eventually move to a new ground-up base. If the Navy moved to Cecil, there wouldn't be a reason to move to a new base in the future. BRAC is the one that wants to move now and is pushing Cecil.

The Navy wants one thing (the optimum training option) the while BRAC wants another (least expensive option that meets minimum training criteria).  The Navy doesn't want Cecil, they want to stay at Oceana.  BRAC is the one that wants to move and is pushing Cecil.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Politics is what the problem is. Money is being pushed around and thats when it gets dirty. States aren't suppose to throw money around to the federal govt like its a civilian business.

Ouch, they are actually going to try to comply with that monsterous request?

I'd like to see Cecil re-open but I don't want to see VB have to go through all that crap to keep Oceana either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be honest with you if they do I think that it will come back to haunt them. Just like Hoobo said I've been realizing that the navy might not want Cecil or Oceana as the Master Jet Base but this one in Carolina. If they do that I think its irresponsible to drag Cecil in this to only close it yet again.

So far, the one in NC is only at the environment study phases. Since cost is becoming a big issue, the difference in Cecil and the NC base cost may be what makes one more valuable to the Navy than the other.

A few hundred million (Less than VB is having to pay to keep Oceana) vs $1.5 billion.

This is becoming a very touchy situation for all 3 states now.

So far, the one in NC is only at the environment study phases.  Since cost is becoming a big issue, the difference in Cecil and the NC base cost may be what makes one more valuable to the Navy than the other.

A few hundred million (Less than VB is having to pay to keep Oceana) vs $1.5 billion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No kidding. I don't think anyone knows what to think. We also have to remember that the brac only makes suggestions to the president and can't enforce it. Who knows what the president will do!

So far, the one in NC is only at the environment study phases.  Since cost is becoming a big issue, the difference in Cecil and the NC base cost may be what makes one more valuable to the Navy than the other.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, they have already been given authority to start purchasing the land. They just have to update the environmental impact statement they have already done to be a little more thorough.

Archived