Unity Park (New 160 Acre West End Park)

btoy

28 minutes ago, gman430 said:

It’s accurate. :) I took off from where the bottom of the orange construction fence is surrounding the hole and went up 125 feet according to the height scale on the DJI drone screen. Notice the scale of the mid-rises in the West End and how the Homewood Suites (150 feet) is still taller: 

dji_export_20240504_114343_1714837423026_sphere_screenshot.jpeg

Ok, not a bad view from there. I might also add, I think 125 is the total height of the tower and the observation deck is probably 10-15 below that but...

I also note that the new Canvas tower and Gateway Building will both be visible from this angle, assuming they get built. Those will make an impression from here.

Edited by distortedlogic

6 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

I wish it had been a clear day for you. One can easily see the Blue Ridge from the corner of Hudson and Mayberry Street on a clear day. 

Anyway, nice pics! 

I’ll get drone pics again sometime next week when it’s sunny. I’ll go up 115 feet next time also to get a more accurate view from where the observation deck portion will be within the tower. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2024 at 3:07 PM, GvilleSC said:

Pile driving of steel for Honor Tower is prepared to commence. 
I didn’t think anything got built in Greenville? :rolleyes:

Edited to add photo:

IMG_1588.thumb.JPG.06300388d96b23540a99d88a0aba0464.JPG

Nothing of significance anyway. 

Edited by apaladin

2 hours ago, apaladin said:
ADVERTISEMENT

Nothing of significance anyway. 

Look at the bright side. We have lots of fenced off sites to look at. :D 

What happened to all of the affordable housing projects that were supposed to get built here? :rofl: 

Edited by GreenvilleSucks

Most affordable projects go through various state programs such as LIHTC and are competitively awarded.  Projects score points based on a certain set up guidelines that are set each year.  Often the locations where cities and counties want to steer affordable don't actually score well with the state.  Further once projects are scored they limit the number that can be awarded in any given county.  If the top three scoring projects are all in Greenville County they may award project 1 and 2 but skip three and go on to 4.  There are a limited number of projects and they will not all get awarded.  Because they guidelines change every year a site may have a better chance in winning the next year or it might not even qualify at all.  I am not as familiar with the other programs but I am sure there is some overlap in the process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

^^ My understanding it that no county, regardless of population can have more than two projects approved.  We are the biggest county in the state and probably have greater need that any county except Charleston and yet we can only get two projects approved. Allendale County, the smallest at 8k population would get the same number as Greenville.  $60k would probably get you a decent house to live there too.  

Ummm…

https://www.foxcarolina.com/2023/10/12/affordable-housing-seniors-coming-greenvilles-unity-park-area/?outputType=amp

“Officials announced that Truist Bank approved a $12 million loan to Greenville Housing Fund, which will be invested in three new developments.

The first project is 147 units at Southernside Senior Living near the intersection of Hudson and West Washington streets.”

So they have financing for at least one of the projects at Unity Park. Still doesn’t explain why it isn’t under construction yet though. 

Edited by GreenvilleSucks

On 6/8/2024 at 5:35 AM, vicupstate said:

^^ My understanding it that no county, regardless of population can have more than two projects approved.  We are the biggest county in the state and probably have greater need that any county except Charleston and yet we can only get two projects approved. Allendale County, the smallest at 8k population would get the same number as Greenville.  $60k would probably get you a decent house to live there too.  

The rules change each year so this could next time around, but for the most part that is correct.  This last year they actually split the rules for large counties and small counties and made the requirements looser for small counties.  With that being said Greenville probably get its  too projects every year where Allendale probably sees a project every couple of years.  This last year they also had bonus points for being in a county that hadn't recently won an award and for last few years bonus points for opportunity zone sites.

On 6/8/2024 at 5:46 AM, GreenvilleSucks said:

Ummm…

https://www.foxcarolina.com/2023/10/12/affordable-housing-seniors-coming-greenvilles-unity-park-area/?outputType=amp

“Officials announced that Truist Bank approved a $12 million loan to Greenville Housing Fund, which will be invested in three new developments.

The first project is 147 units at Southernside Senior Living near the intersection of Hudson and West Washington streets.”

So they have financing for at least one of the projects at Unity Park. Still doesn’t explain why it isn’t under construction yet though. 

great.  147 units would not be LIHTC, too many units, be interested to know if it is part of a program at all.  If not it may not always remain affordable.