Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

14 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

Henrico Plaza was the largest empty parking lot I've ever seen. It being turned into mixed-used multi-story buildings is HUGE for that area. It will be almost 600 new units of housing in that once abandoned lot, with over 100 of them being home buying opportunities.

I'm super excited to see if it sparks any new developments/movements between this and the city proper.

If I were a betting man, my guess is that it absolutely WILL serve as a catalyst new development between this location and the city/county line. Success begets success - and this nice bump-up in population & density in that portion of the county will pay dividends in the coming years. This development VERY much reminds me of a similar project currently under construction at Woodman and Hungary roads. Like this one, it is converting the site of an old strip shopping center into a high-density, multi-building apartment and townhouse complex - and no question it should serve as a spark for additional growth in that part of the county. I love both of these developments.

• Like 1

It would be nice to see the current Roses be redeveloped. It is currently a giant parking lot that is absolutely underutilized. Half the building is vacant. It would be nice to see something with density go there, but also something that provides services to city dwellers not looking to drive all the way to Mechanicsville/White Oak for a Publix, Target, Petco, etc.

Here the red is the site of the Roses. The yellow is Henrico Plaza. The red would be super c

onvenient for people in Shockoe, Downtown, Highland Park, Brookland Park, Church Hill, etc.

image.thumb.png.acaa94c38a22f78dff185da46b9cb7a3.png

image.thumb.png.d51a1e878c8f36d6636335444b1a0eff.png

• Like 3

Herewith is the aforementioned RBS reporting on the new apartment complex currently under construction in Midlothian, bringing 310 units behind the Walmart. A small but nice injection of density in a typical RVA suburban complex.

Glad to see more density in Midlothian and can't help but hope that with every new development in that part of the county, we get that much closer to a PULSE BRT line arriving on the scene there.

I also can't help but wonder if, at some point, Midlothian will incorporate as a town, rather than remain a census designated place? The 2020 census shows Midlothian with a population of 18,320 - which is  two & a half times larger than the town of Ashland, which checked in at 7,565. Dunno - it's a thought that came to mind after reading the article.

Speaking of which - from today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/04/12/site-work-starts-for-310-apartments-beside-midlothian-walmart/

Bainbridge-Midlothian-aerial-23-0220_11.jpg

BainbridgeMidlo2.jpg

BainbridgeMidlo1.png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, plain said:

Now if we could just get the former Azalea Mall site filled with something...

i really am surprised that hasn't been snapped up and fully redeveloped just yet. If we could get that site converted into some really good density, I'm thinking that would also move the needle on the north/south PULSE BRT line.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Child2021 said:

image.thumb.png.0894edfe96cee76d5ece041b54e45a16.png

image.thumb.png.4ad2e92166881013686052998f870d6e.png

image.thumb.png.004a9ab1f397a2f8757a5cf2c0501e3a.png

FANTASTIC NEWS!!! Just the kind of tonic we've needed recently!

@Child2021-- I do believe you will be schlepping an authentic, OFFICIAL (and PRESTIGIOUS) SILVER PORT-A-POTTY trophy home by the end of this week. 👍

@Hike-- as the Master Engraver of RVA/UP, you know what to do!  👍

• Like 1

More development in southern Chesterfield. Axial Industrial - an arm of Crescent Communities (who are building the Novel Scott's Addition) just closed on land just north of Colonial Heights for a 505K sf warehouse to be built on spec. If I'm reading the map correctly, this location isn't all that far from the new LEGO plant, which is breaking ground as we speak! This will be Crescent's third warehouse/industrial project in the RVA metro (one in Goochland, one in Ashland), plus the apartment building on Arthur Ashe Boulevard just west of the Diamond District.

Very good news for the southern portion of the metro and for the RVA market as a whole.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/04/13/5m-land-deal-sets-stage-for-spec-warehouse-in-chesterfield/

Axial95-1.jpg

Axial95-2.jpg

Axial95-3-rotated.jpg

Screenshot (107).png

• Like 4

More industrial good news for metro RVA - again in Chesterfield:

The German electronics components manufacturer Weidmuller Group is planning to expand their 92K sf plant in Chesterfield, adding an additional 24K sf of space. Construction is set to begin this fall with completion projected to be mid-2024. Once complete, the expanded factory will allow Weidmuller to add 100 new jobs. Interesting nugget from the story:

Weidmüller considered other states for the project but the company declined to identify where else it considered.

Unquestionably, another WIN for metro Richmond!

From today's RichmondBizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/04/13/german-manufacturer-plans-16m-facility-expansion-scoops-up-next-door-property-in-chesterfield/

weidmuller-chesterfield-rendering-1536x782.jpg

Screenshot (108).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, Child2021 said:

image.thumb.png.0894edfe96cee76d5ece041b54e45a16.png

image.thumb.png.4ad2e92166881013686052998f870d6e.png

image.thumb.png.004a9ab1f397a2f8757a5cf2c0501e3a.png

Here's RBS' coverage of the groundbreaking - a truly momentous day for metropolitan Richmond!

As was pointed out in Mike's reporting yesterday on interest rates slowing down residential (and other) construction, one of the developers pointed out how RVA has made quite a few inroads onto the radar screens of big, national interests who definitely view Richmond as one of the next hot "go-to" cities/metros & have begun pouring significant investment dollars into the city, the metro and the region. The shorthand version of that is this: Richmond is becoming a "known" entity. We are gaining name recognition. Landing LEGO's only U.S. manufacturing facility (the second in North America - Mexico has the other) and only the seventh globally) is as HUGE a WIN for metro RVA as we have had in DECADES, particularly when you consider we beat out our chief competitor markets to land this plant. If anything will further push Richmond's name-recognition needle forward, this certainly will. The import of this facility becoming a reality and what it will mean for metro Richmond going forward cannot be overstated.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/04/14/lego-holds-groundbreaking-ceremony-for-1b-chesterfield-factory/

lego-factory-rendering-ground-breaking-1536x864.jpg

lego-model-ground-breaking-1536x990.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Here's RBS' coverage of the groundbreaking - a truly momentous day for metropolitan Richmond!

As was pointed out in Mike's reporting yesterday on interest rates slowing down residential (and other) construction, one of the developers pointed out how RVA has made quite a few inroads onto the radar screens of big, national interests who definitely view Richmond as one of the next hot "go-to" cities/metros & have begun pouring significant investment dollars into the city, the metro and the region. The shorthand version of that is this: Richmond is becoming a "known" entity. We are gaining name recognition. Landing LEGO's only U.S. manufacturing facility (the second in North America - Mexico has the other) and only the seventh globally) is as HUGE a WIN for metro RVA as we have had in DECADES, particularly when you consider we beat out our chief competitor markets to land this plant. If anything will further push Richmond's name-recognition needle forward, this certainly will. The import of this facility becoming a reality and what it will mean for metro Richmond going forward cannot be overstated.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/04/14/lego-holds-groundbreaking-ceremony-for-1b-chesterfield-factory/

I was surprised to see the little LEGO brick visitor center clearly visible from the Enon Bridge so this facility may really stand out once complete.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

More development is being proposed in New Kent County at Bottoms Bridge.

"The proposed community — south of Route 60 near the VCA New Kent Animal Hospital — would include up to 150 single-family detached homes of at least 1,600 square feet and up to 140 townhomes of 1,200 square feet. The community would also include a clubhouse and a pool, a tot lot, a dog park and a picnic area with trails.

Meanwhile, the proposed commercial development calls for a nursery of over 15,000 square feet, a winery, a distillery and a 30,000-square-foot shopping center."

https://www.dailypress.com/tidewater-review/va-tr-new-kent-village-0330-20220329-shjbwrdhrnfjtozn5jetucfse4-story.html

Nice! And Bottom's Bridge is about 5 miles east of the I-295 beltway (as the crow flies). Nice to see something new and exciting coming there. New Kent has really been growing at a pretty decent clip for the past 40 years and its 2023 estimated population is 24,301.  in 1980, the population was 8,781.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 12:00 PM, rjp212 said:

More development is being proposed in New Kent County at Bottoms Bridge.

"The proposed community — south of Route 60 near the VCA New Kent Animal Hospital — would include up to 150 single-family detached homes of at least 1,600 square feet and up to 140 townhomes of 1,200 square feet. The community would also include a clubhouse and a pool, a tot lot, a dog park and a picnic area with trails.

Meanwhile, the proposed commercial development calls for a nursery of over 15,000 square feet, a winery, a distillery and a 30,000-square-foot shopping center."

https://www.dailypress.com/tidewater-review/va-tr-new-kent-village-0330-20220329-shjbwrdhrnfjtozn5jetucfse4-story.html

This article is from March of last year. Any updates available?

7 hours ago, plain said:

This article is from March of last year. Any updates available?

Sorry, that was the only one I could find without a paywall.  Here's RTD's article from this past Friday.

https://richmond.com/news/state-and-regional/mixed-use-development-proposed-at-bottoms-bridge-in-new-kent/article_0b3e7b22-da0e-11ed-987a-8f0302acd03e.html

• Like 3

Further demonstration of just how robustly Hanover County is growing: another medical facility is planned near Ashland. Hot on the heels of HCA's January announcement of plans to build a new hospital in that part of the county, Bon Secours announced plans for a $25 million emergency facility on Lewistown Road just east of I-95. Bon Secours is awaiting state approval for the project.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/04/20/bon-secours-planning-new-25m-emergency-center-in-hanover/

Screenshot (141).png

• Like 3