Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

I have a friend who is an exec at Husqvarna, who travels to Stockholm at least every other month as well.  I'm sure they alone probably only add maybe 10 seats a month, but given their cluster (plus ABB manufacturing here), it could lead to an influx of other Swedish firms.

It would be a major coup for Charlotte, as the only place in the US there is current non stop is NYC area airpots (JFK and Newark), though I'm sure Delta would respond with an ATL flight that I'm sure they used to run but canclled in the recession.

Regarding CLT-ARN service, the Elephant in this Forum that nobody has yet mentioned is Norweigan Long Haul.  They already serve ARN-FLL and ARN-JFK and will add OAK and LAX this spring.  

The legacy carriers and their unions are lobbying the US DOT heavily to deny them a new long-haul license but that might be moot given they've learned to live with non-union JetBlue and its strong East Coast presence.

If Electrolux and the above companies are shopping around for ARN-CLT service, isn't it logical they would approach NLH?

Edited by ChessieCat

Ikea is currently owned by Inter Ikea Systems, which itself is actually a Dutch company.

If anyone ever starts CLT-ARN, it will be US/AA. You won't be seeing Norwegian in CLT anytime soon. Norwegian is a ultra-low cost carrier and the dynamics of their operation just won't work in CLT, or in other cities like IAH/ATL for that matter. That's why you are seeing them fly to cities in the US that have a large international tourism presence (FLL/OAK/JFK). Besides,  I can't imagine why any company would make their employees sit through their bare-bones service.

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 1

On a side note, on my trip down to Miami this week I noticed while I was driving past the airport that a couple of US Airways planes were utilizing the Americian Airlines hanger here...

In regards to a possible Stockholm flight I think it would be a great addition it would certainly end the speculation that has gone out of control on all of our favorite airline speculation forum (airliners.net) about the impending demise of a vital Charlotte hub for the new American.

I love the idea of ARN-CLT, though Atlas Copco might be inflating the demand for such a route. They used to be one of my clients and the organization is more grid-like than hierarchical, so a lot of the division headquarters are in other European countries (i.e. France, UK). They've also downsized considerably in the last few years, which I may have tempered some of the traffic between Sweden and Charlotte.

Update on airport construction: the pedestrian bridge remnants from the departures floor are now gone. Can't wait for the parking decks to be complete.

On another note, long term parking is now officially a clusterf#*k since you cannot exit on Little Rock Rd.

Is there a major American airport with poorer (and shabbier) road access?  Even RDU feels like a major airport until you pull up to it!

Is there a major American airport with poorer (and shabbier) road access?  Even RDU feels like a major airport until you pull up to it!

It will feel completely different once everything is finished. 

ArtisticRendering-NewHrlyDeckCurbsideRoa

Edited by Guest

The airport website states the following for this project:

Complete June 2014
Commercial lane completion November 2014
Passenger lane completion December 2015
Connect to Terminal Entrance Roadway – late 2015

So honestly, I don't know! I wouldn't count on it helping anything until late next year (but we can cross our fingers that one of these benchmarks - like the November 2014 one) will help...

Kickazzz, your drawing does look like the RDU aerial with all the freeways in every direction, but in reality, I'm glad the new entrance road is compatible with with the existing roads, Little Rock and Wilkinson, as it will be easier to navigate in the end versus lots of spaghetti dropped by the Flying Monster, blessed by his noodly appendages.

Agreed with dubone.  There is no reason the approach to the airport should be a maze of new bridge structures that are expensive to build and maintain.  Not only that, the connection into 485 would be a duplicate of US-74 and would only cause more merging delays to I-85.

The current setup will enable the airport to develop along parts of US-74 for more hotels, offices, and other amenities for any business that wants to take advantage of the hub.  With all of those flights, I'm surprised we don't have an office park directly north of the entrance roads.