Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

On 12/13/2021 at 9:10 AM, kayman said:

Agreed, CLT is too big of an airport or the Greater Charlotte metropolitan region to rely upon ATL or DFW as a connection to Asia.

ANA flies direct to IAD from HND. I know VA is iffy on Southeast status but it's an easy hop with United. 

Would love direct HND flights but I'm not sure we really have the O&D to support a 787 rotation through CLT. We might eventually swing a Qatar flight to get to India. They have already done cargo flights to CLT.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BarrenLucidity said:

ANA flies direct to IAD from HND. I know VA is iffy on Southeast status but it's an easy hop with United. 

Would love direct HND flights but I'm not sure we really have the O&D to support a 787 rotation through CLT. We might eventually swing a Qatar flight to get to India. They have already done cargo flights to CLT.

I love that there are more flights to Haneda. If you're not connecting that's so much nicer than Narita and the bus or train (to Shinjuku of course!). If your connecting within Japan I used to always shoot for Osaka (Itami). Super modern and lightly used last I went. That'd be a nice addition for a southeast airport.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, elrodvt said:

I love that there are more flights to Haneda. If you're not connecting that's so much nicer than Narita and the bus or train (to Shinjuku of course!). If your connecting within Japan I used to always shoot for Osaka (Itami). Super modern and lightly used last I went. That'd be a nice addition for a southeast airport.

Yeah, agreed. NRT isn't bad but even with NEX it's still a hike, especially if you're going to Shinagawa. I'd shoot through Itami just to have an excuse to visit Osaka. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, elrodvt said:

Jeez we're really pulling out the pipe dreams now. Osaka only has 2 nonstop flights to the mainland US (LAX and SFO). The southeast is never getting a nonstop flight there, let alone CLT. The only cities that are possibilities are Tokyo or Shanghai and we'll be lucky if either of those happen ever.

7 hours ago, TCLT said:

Jeez we're really pulling out the pipe dreams now. Osaka only has 2 nonstop flights to the mainland US (LAX and SFO). The southeast is never getting a nonstop flight there, let alone CLT. The only cities that are possibilities are Tokyo or Shanghai and we'll be lucky if either of those happen ever.

No one said CLT. You're probably right about Miami, DC and Atlanta though. One can still hope though. It's a sweet airport.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 8:15 PM, tozmervo said:

Do... do people still use ticket counters for anything but dropping off bags?

Last week Doug Parker mentioned in senate subcommittee meetings that over 85% of ticket counter interactions were to drop off bags. I imagine that proportion becomes even higher as the flying population becomes more familiar with technology and less baby boomers fly. 

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Flew in last night from Dulles. 

Compared to Dulles, CLT actually seemed quiet, although that could be because my flight departed in the midst of the transatlantic rush there.

I’ve taken this flight a couple of times (the second to last departure from Dulles to CLT) and I would say the flight is consistently 60-75% filled with people coming off of the Qatar flight at Dulles (tons of people had Qatar carry on tags, and Qatar boarding pass stock). My bags were one of the first ones out, but previously I have seen interesting things come off the baggage claim from this flight…bags tagged from far away places (I’ve seen Trivandrum and Kathmandu before) and Saran wrapped coolers (that were checked as luggage) likely packed with local delicacies. 8269F751-38A5-4DD0-B42D-D742B39C8A5C.thumb.jpeg.8051f2b5176142daf224c43c8d803417.jpeg

I didn’t realize they had begun to renovate/refurbish the bathrooms at the baggage claim level. The bathroom next to the FIS/CBP exit was renovated to a similar style as the new bathrooms in the concourses, with brand new everything. Sad that it probably hadn’t been cleaned in a while-look at the flooring. Classy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LKN704 said:

c. 8269F751-38A5-4DD0-B42D-D742B39C8A5C.thumb.jpeg.8051f2b5176142daf224c43c8d803417.jpeg

I didn’t realize they had begun to renovate/refurbish the bathrooms at the baggage claim level. The bathroom next to the FIS/CBP exit was renovated to a similar style as the new bathrooms in the concourses, with brand new everything. Sad that it probably hadn’t been cleaned in a while-look at the flooring. Classy.

Take a look at the terrazzo on Concourse C. It was poured and finished poorly. There are stains embedded into several sections throughout the length. Had I been in airport management, I would have refused to pay the contractor.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, elrodvt said:

Yep, expected nothing more!

If that reaction meant you don't get it I'll just say that value engineering seems to be rampant these days. I'm hoping the library will be an exception though. Maybe the bike bridge but it's not looking that way.

If it means you disagree give me some examples of things built recently that people are going to be in awe of a hundred years from now. The stick built apartments everywhere won't even last that long.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, elrodvt said:

If that reaction meant you don't get it I'll just say that value engineering seems to be rampant these days. I'm hoping the library will be an exception though. Maybe the bike bridge but it's not looking that way.

If it means you disagree give me some examples of things built recently that people are going to be in awe of a hundred years from now. The stick built apartments everywhere won't even last that long.

That wasn't my reaction (I've never used that emoji) and I had no problem with your comment. I think Romare Bearden and the museums on South Tryon are pretty awesome though.

Edited by JBS
South not North, duh
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, JBS said:

That wasn't my reaction (I've never used that emoji) and I had no problem with your comment. I think Romare Bearden and the museums on South Tryon are pretty awesome though.

Didn't mean to imply you did  @JBS. Another example of why we need to get attribution back. Or, if there's no other dialog, be an adult and back up what you emote.;-) Before anyone goes hunting I'm sure I haven't done that consistently myself!

On 12/24/2021 at 10:50 AM, JBS said:

I have a different view of the airport renovations. CLT is successful because of its low cost to American Airlines. They need to retain that advantage since the airport is a huge asset to the city. So they are expanding and the new roads and buildings are/will be quite nice. The renovations are fine but it was never the intention to replicate some of the more grandiose airports elsewhere. It's a value proposition at CLT. B and C will look much different overall when they further expand them and the expansion of A is beautiful. The lobby will be also. This is still an airport that has all terminals fully connected and will soon also be connected via bridge and tunnel to the onsite rental car facility. It will be a very nice, convenient and low cost airport that will continue to be an economic driver for the region. All of that said, they DO need to significantly improve the quality of the janitorial work. Otherwise, they are on the right track. In my opinion, CLT metaphorically represents the overall Charlotte value proposition very well.

I don't think anyone expected some grandiose international terminal but the fact of the matter is the janitorial work of the airport has been an issue going back 20+ years, and will likely continue to be a problem. It's an embarrassment...both for the airport and the city. A connecting passenger isn't necessarily going to remember that the seats on the concourse had power outlets, but they'll likely remember that there was a urinal cake just thrown on the floor of the bathroom, etc.

The renovations are fine (it's apparent however they were done ASAP on the cheap...some areas frankly just look a mess), although I think they likely could have spent more and AA likely would not have batted an eye. CLT's CPE (cost per enplanement) is obviously going to rise over the years but as long as the city works to maintain the CPE lower than other large hub airports I don't see any issue. 

On 12/23/2021 at 3:59 PM, Miesian Corners said:

Take a look at the terrazzo on Concourse C. It was poured and finished poorly. There are stains embedded into several sections throughout the length. Had I been in airport management, I would have refused to pay the contractor.

I've noticed those stains before. I never realized they were permanently embedded into the terrazzo...I thought they were just surface stains. 

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 2

Having gotten more and more acclimated to the airport since my family moved from Raleigh to Wilmington (CLT is a major connecting airport with ILM), I can say, this airport is far busier than I've seen LGA in the last few years. It is almost exhausting to get through because you just have to slam through people. It's really quite amazing to see. Also, I had no idea that the express jet operations of American Eagle in E are among the largest, if not the largest in the world. Truly, going through E is like going through one airport and then transitioning to another airport with the rest of the airport. 

After this holiday, I can finally say I have gone through every concourse at CLT (humblebrag) and it still amazes me what this airport has accomplished. 

• Like 4