Va. Beach Towncenter project

vdogg

Yes, it will be private. You can't really how large it is from this pic but here is the area.

152320598xeVXtL_ph.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the pic! I was slightly confused for a while because HQ means "headquarters" to me, and when Town Center HQ was mentioned.....yeah you can see my confusion. haha.

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When are they suppose to start on the town square section of the TC project? Have they released exactly what will be going on the site. That is alot of space to fill. Probably will be some condos in the mix

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It has not been announced and may be awhile. I too think condos will be in the mix. It should be a mixed use area as well with retail, housing and maybe some office too.

Well I personally think that cities should be able to step in and demolish some of these buildings that are either abandoned or "dead leases". The latter is the absolute worst because it keeps competition out and drives the market of the building downward. After 2-3 years of being totally empty, these buildings should come before a board and be demolished to make way for something else. Same for fast food carcasses as well.

I think the cities wait for the property to depreciate enough that the city can by it at a cheap price to renovate it. Just like you don't see 10 year old houses being torn down to make way for new houses. It would cost too much to do that. The city is a business as well and is out to make a profit.

I think the cities wait for the property to depreciate enough that the city can by it at a cheap price to renovate it. Just like you don't see 10 year old houses being torn down to make way for new houses. It would cost too much to do that. The city is a business as well and is out to make a profit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly what the hell is going on? Why is the old rendering back up on the website? westin. This is going to make me extremely mad if they changed the design back to the old one. They just put an add in the paper with the new design in it the other day. Do these people even know what they're trying to do? :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"wwwwwhhhhhhaaaaahhhhaaaaa! The magical word: condemnation"... And actually I don't see that many 10 year old houses sitting empty for years at a time, in fact most of the old buildings that sit empty are a little older than 10 years as well.

Anyway what I said is that they should have the right to tear down old abandoned buildings that are eyesores (if you need an clarifictaion, take a drive up Military from 264 to 64 and there are countless examples).

Exactly what the hell is going on? Why is the old rendering back up on the website? westin. This is going to make me extremely mad if they changed the design back to the old one. They just put an add in the paper with the new design in it the other day. Do these people even know what they're trying to do? :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the city is holding their 400 ft limit on them.

Just a few 'new' pics. Nothing really new but since I had a few minutes tonight before a meeting I snapped a few.

At first I thought the apartments would only have the smallish windows but I am happy to see the larger ones on the sides. They almost appear floor to ceiling so that would really bring in a lot of light. Oh, and I am so ready to hear what retail will come to the ground floor.

DSC02128.jpg

Cranes going about their business at 6:30pm. I do kinda miss the whole view of the building but I won't complain. :blush:

DSC02127.jpg

Ruth's Chris will open May 3rd.

DSC02130.jpg

A night shot.

DSC02132.jpg

That's it for now. :)

I noticed on the Pilotonline website Carolyn Shipiro was taking questions about retail in the area. I decided to write and some others did too about retail at Town Center area. Here are some examples:

I am curious if you know of any particular stores that may be coming to the Town Center in Virginia Beach.

Carolyn Shapiro responds:

I am as curious as you are, because retailers have barely trickled into Town Center, while the restaurants have flooded the new development. Gerald S. Divaris, whose company is in charge of leasing and management at Town Center, said he expects in coming weeks to announce three new stores that are in the final phases of signing leases. He wouldn't even give me a hint of what they are, but he said retailers prefer to come in clusters. A block of Town Center destined for new apartments will have several retail sites on the ground level, but those stores won't open until next spring at the earliest, Divaris said.

More retail questions

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I personally like the old design better. Without the spire looks much nicer! (I'm not kidding).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First of all, it appears that the cosmo will remain at 14 stories. So much for the thought of a 16-17 story building :blink:

Second, on the Westin, as mentioned before, it looks like the city will impose the 400 ft. height limit which is kinda disappointing knowing that I was hoping for somewhere around 450 ft. I still think a 50 foot leaway is ok but oh well we'll see. Honestly I do like the original design just coz' it doesn't have too much in similarity to that of the Armada Hoffler tower but I do wish they kept the garage design of the taller rendering because the original does a horrible job of hiding its garage. Another thing could be that interest in living there could be falling short of their expectations. In the end, anything could play in the role of why we're seeing the old rendering again.

wtf.....$2million for a place in the Westin?!? What is this Manhattan????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've also wondered from the get-go if it is really going to be able to sell a 4,000 sq. ft room on the 32nd floor for $2 million knowing that that is sooo much more than the nearest competitor in terms of high-rise luxury living (Granby Tower and Harbor Heights). Plus those competitors have more to offer (grocery store, walking distance to arts and entertainment venues, a better quality shopping mall, and water views) aside from the typical amenities of high-rise upscale living facilities. It seems almost impossible to pass up that $800,000 condo on the 29th floor of Granby Tower with everything in safe walking distance and water views over that of Westin's $2 million condo.

There will be someone to purchase that condo. You will be surprised the money some of these jokers have around here. I don't know where they get it from but i've been in some of these houses. It will be some business owner wanting to flaunt their money.And just as I'm loyal to Norfolk their are people very loyal to VaBeach and would pay it just for that reason. You never know someone from armada hoffler might purchase the room.

First of all, it appears that the cosmo will remain at 14 stories. So much for the thought of a 16-17 story building  :blink:

Second, on the Westin, as mentioned before, it looks like the city will impose the 400 ft. height limit which is kinda disappointing knowing that I was hoping for somewhere around 450 ft. I still think a 50 foot leaway is ok but oh well we'll see. Honestly I do like the original design just coz' it doesn't have too much in similarity to that of the Armada Hoffler tower but I do wish they kept the garage design of the taller rendering because the original does a horrible job of hiding its garage. Another thing could be that interest in living there could be falling short of their expectations. In the end, anything could play in the role of why we're seeing the old rendering again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, it's still over 30 stories and will be 400ft regardless of design though i question the 9ft ceiling claim with the old rendering back in play. Because there is no spire 400ft with the old rendering will probably look much taller than 400ft with the new one anyway.

I was just curious has this been confirmed that the Westin will be built as seen on the old rendering ? Seems like these are assumptions at this point.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No confirmation whatsoever. I will say that the sign at the corner where the Westin is to be built has always had the old rendering on it. There was an add in the newspaper Thursday that had the new design in it. Who knows, it's all just speculation at this point and i haven't heard back from the developer yet. One has to wonder however why they would change the website back to the old rendering. There just doesnt seem to be an answer to that question that makes any sense.

Archived