Va. Beach Towncenter project

vdogg

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly but i think they should incorporate it in the actual TC area not pembroke. But i don't know if its possible. It should go over by the HQ site with a walk over to the TC area over Indepence Blvd. connecting close to the Westin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, TC is going to be a little higher class than Target but I think a walkover from TC connecting Town Square is a great idea. Crossing Independence on foot is never a good idea. LOL

Are all SuperTargets 2 stories? Never been to one myself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well even if not a Super Target, a Greatlands Target (like the one in NN) would be nice. Hopefully they will build it fresh and not retrofit to a shell (like they did at Chesapeake Square).

When I was in Montreal there was a huge mall with a... grocery store on one side. How is that for one-stop shopping? So maybe Super Target would work there. There isn't a Super Walmart that is very close to the area.

Also... two pedestrian walkways would be a great addition to TC. But I think that is in the works anyway. At least from what I can remember.

They were talking about a walkover when they where started building the Armada Hoffler building

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was supposed to be one completed by 2006, however nothing has been said about it since. I think they are going to wait for the suntrust bank's lease to expire and connect it to a new piece of property on that land.

Just letting you guys know, I went home this week and spoke to a resource of mine about the Target which was looking to be built at the new HQ, and he told me that they are almost done signing a deal to make the Target part of the Pembroke mall and allowing full development of the HQ site to other investors.  I have to say that news made me very happy to hear.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this is great news. It keeps the HQ property open to a full urban style development. Hopefully they will focus on just condos and office for that property.

Who knows what they have in store for us around the HQ site. The mall on the other hand has its fate resting on the success of the TC. If it is successful than the mall will face its doom. I really hate that mall, and if they are trying to become a urban core for the city they need to dipose of the mall and have shopping all around the TC instead of a mall to really get the feeling of urban society by walking around to the stores

Who knows what they have in store for us around the HQ site. The mall on the other hand has its fate resting on the success of the TC. If it is successful than the mall will face its doom. I really hate that mall, and if they are trying to become a urban core for the city they need to dipose of the mall and have shopping all around the TC instead of a mall to really get the feeling of urban society by walking around to the stores

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I suppose one day it could happen but I can't imagine them going anywhere esp if they sign on Target. Target draws the type of customer they are after. I imagine over time the mall will become a nicer place. Remember, this whole area is undergoing a metamorphosis. I do agree however, it is the perfect location to build up a more urban environment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I rather loathe the mall myself, but I think it can be incorporated and "preserved" amidst taller buildings built around its edges. I think that if sufficient business is built up around it than in time it could be completely transformed and maybe become a very successful "lunch break" location. I'm not sure... but in the meantime, I doubt the mall will be going anywhere for at least the next few decades. We'll see what happens!

I still see the mall as a huge waste of space and want it to go. However I think after the town square begins. they should begin to look at the mall in stages. At this stage we will test the water with some development in our parking area. The next step, take a chunk of the building and turn it into urban space, and so on till it is all developed. Out of it, the city will either get a reinvented mall with new urban space or completely new urban space. Pembroke mall is sitting on so many possiblities.

I still see the mall as a huge waste of space and want it to go.  However I think after the town square begins.  they should begin to look at the mall in stages.  At this stage we will test the water with some development in our parking area.  The next step, take a chunk of the building and turn it into urban space, and so on till it is all developed.  Out of it, the city will either get a reinvented mall with new urban space or completely new urban space.  Pembroke mall is sitting on so many possiblities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, think about it, why would VaBeach want a dying mall? It could be used for so much more. But i think that will be over 10 years before they even consider looking at that. They still have alot of work to do with what they have now.

yeah, just go to google maps to see how much build out this downtown could have over the next 50 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I still hold they need to build up to the creek to have a nice natural boundary in front, they could have the river on the right side (as if driving towards it on the boulevard from the oceanfront) and the highway on the left, and they could just constantly build down the boulevard from there. That would be the best plan. Even expanding the creeks width would be a great idea.

I still hold they need to build up to the creek to have a nice natural boundary in front, they could have the river on the right side (as if driving towards it on the boulevard from the oceanfront) and the highway on the left, and they could just constantly build down the boulevard from there.  That would be the best plan.  Even expanding the creeks width would be a great idea.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah that creek needs to have something happen to it. Right now it is just a bug home.

Granted this would never happen but I would love to see them turn it into a long beautiful lake with a trail around it. It would be an amazing thing for VB to have right in the middle of their downtown.

I am absolutely speechless. This is the email i have just received directly from the Westins developer. There is absoulutely no way this thing is under 400ft. Not possible.

"The image on the website is the latest updated version of the project.

As of now, the entire Westin project has increased from 30 stories to

38 stories, however we are still in the design phase so we may continue

to have changes.

I hope this answers you concerns.

Kris Inderlied

Director of Marketing and Public Relations

Armada Hoffler

222 Central Park Avenue

Suite 1200

Virginia Beach, VA 23462

www.armadahoffler.com"

Thats great! I wish they would change the color or something so it doesn't look like the armada hoffler building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm...It's kind of curious how i heard from the Westin people almost immediately after i heard from the Hilton people :lol: . At any rate, as you can tell i've been busy networking. It turns out that when you actually tell them the info is for a website they are a lot more forthcoming. I guess all publicity is good publicity. B)

They must have struck some sort of deal with the city cause if you add the spire this thing is probably approaching 500ft. I serioulsy doubt they can fit that tall of a building plus a spire under 400ft. If this is the case and they have struck a deal we may have a contender for states tallest here.

Archived