Va. Beach Towncenter project

vdogg

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vdogg, are you sure you looking at the right block. Block 9 is the two story square next to the Cosmopolitan, in the middle of the diagram-Next to the plaza. I think you're looking at block 11 on Columbus and Constitution.? That is where city council is trying to "lure" a Fortune 500 company.

I was looking at the 2 blocks above the Westin and next to the performing arts theater bounded by indepenence blvd. What block numbers are those?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that would be where Taco Bell and the Va Pilot building is I believe.

I do fear i have to retract my earlier statements about Granby possibly being taller than the Westin because it appears that the Westin folks are going for the gold here. That being said i still think Granby can stretch out to about the mid-400 range.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Granby tower isn't a done deal either don't forget that and the demand is really on fire in Norfolk and its not scheduled for construction till fall possibly winter so don't go dancing around yet.

The Granby tower isn't a done deal either don't forget that and the demand is really on fire in Norfolk and its not scheduled for construction till fall possibly winter so don't go dancing around yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Construction is actually set to begin for Granby Towers at the beginning of next year. I have a hunch in either January or February. Though reservations are being taken, no sales will be made till this summer (likely beginning July). We will see though if it gets any taller. It's a possibility but I don't think it'll go higher than 35 floors. Don't get your hopes up though. Even if turns out 35 floors which is 3 floors shorter than the Westin it won't be too much for concern if the Granby has 10 ft high ceilings and the rendering seems to make the spire structure 5 or 6 floors high itself. Another note is that Westin was originally 30-32 stories at 400 ft as stated to the pilot by the developers earlier this year. An additional 6 floors and spire puts this building in the 450-475 range.

In the end, for Westin, final specs will hopefully be revealed by July since construction is set to begin in August-early September.

I'm beginning to think that Norfolk isn't worried about who has the tallest building or not. I mean, what does it really matter? Norfolk is and will be Hampton Road's downtown for a while. I think they're more focused on the Cruise Ship Terminal and housing downtown, not just the tallest building.

Construction is actually set to begin for Granby Towers at the beginning of next year. I have a hunch in either January or February. Though reservations are being taken, no sales will be made till this summer (likely beginning July). We will see though if it gets any taller. It's a possibility but I don't think it'll go higher than 35 floors. Don't get your hopes up though. Even if turns out 35 floors which is 3 floors shorter than the Westin it won't be too much for concern if the Granby has 10 ft high ceilings and the rendering seems to make the spire structure 5 or 6 floors high itself. Another note is that Westin was originally 30-32 stories at 400 ft as stated to the pilot by the developers earlier this year. An additional 6 floors and spire puts this building in the 450-475 range.

In the end, for Westin, final specs will hopefully be revealed by July since construction is set to begin in August-early September.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What i meant about concrete is that the floors aren't final yet.

I'm beginning to think that Norfolk isn't worried about who has the tallest building or not. I mean, what does it really matter? Norfolk is and will be Hampton Road's downtown for a while. I think they're more focused on the Cruise Ship Terminal and housing downtown, not just the tallest building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its a smart move for Norfolk really. They need to focus on making their core better. VB needs to make a statement that they are a real city. Expect Virginia's tallest to end up in VB. Something I said years ago (almost no one believed me then)

Norfolk is concentrating on the projects at hand and will have the tallest in the next 20 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree, I dont think they care much about it, besides if Norfolk were to have virginia's tallest, it would have to go in over by the scope, due to that muddy land downtown sits on.

I disagree, I dont think they care much about it, besides if Norfolk were to have virginia's tallest, it would have to go in over by the scope, due to that muddy land downtown sits on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which is probably why Granby towers location is so far back from the main downtown.

Well, it looks as though site work has already begun on the performing arts center as well as 3 other blocks of phase 3. This appears to be the start of the phase 3 retail. Also they are starting to erect some sort of boundary/fence on the arts center lot. Blue glass windows have been installed on the side of the Cosmo facing the AH tower and they are starting to install glass on the rest of the building as well. We will probably start seeing delivery of materials for construction on the Westin and performing arts center in very short order.

I just passed TC today coming home from work and on the interior side of the Theater plot, they are making some kind of large temporary tent or something.  I just saw a domed aluminum shell.!? :unsure:  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, i saw that too. I couldn't quite discern what it was supposed to be though.

Archived