Va. Beach Towncenter project

vdogg

Hmm.  I guess the theory is if you can afford a $2million apartment, you can afford a telescope to see DT Norfolk lol.  Apparently though you will be able to see the skyline (not exactly in detail) of Norfolk as well as the Oceanfront and the Shore Drive area.  Idk... 12 miles?  How much would you be able to see?  Not that it matters... people will more than likely drop the cash to pay for the apartments.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was working @ NSU and was on the 6th floor of the fine arts building and could see Armada Hoffler building as clear as day.

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This area is just sprouting, so we have to be patient and it will a thriving metro area. I don't think VaBeach really is worried about the TC becoming a major downtown. I really think they are testing the waters right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i think the biggest test is going to be the Town Square project and whether that turns out to be a bust or really keeps to urbanization motor running.

I really think the reason this is happening is the navy fighting with the city around Oceana so the city has to start going up. VaBeach still has alot of land that could be developed but the navy is having a fit. I wish they would move Oceana right into Moyock, which is still part of our area.

I really think the reason this is happening is the navy fighting with the city around  Oceana so the city has to start going up. VaBeach still has alot of land that could be developed but the navy is having a fit. I wish they would move Oceana right into Moyock, which is still part of our area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol I'm sure the people in little Moyock would love having a massive military installation plopped down in the quiet, peaceful backyard.

The jets fly over moyock everyday, i don't think it would bother them except for all the new development the base would start to generate there. Most of the moyockers are virginia implants, mainly from VaBeach.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can't you imagine Va Beach folks moving south to get away from jet noise only to have the base relocate to Moyock.. LOL.. too funny. :rofl:

I have to admit, i still wish they would just rip down that entire mall and use it for building space though.  Target just doesnt seem to fit an urban setting.  But hey, at least it wont be in the middle of it all now taht it will be attached to the mall.  I would say expect the announcement within the next three weeks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know if the entire mall should be razed to the ground... but I am not partial to it in its current location/physical status. I could stand a major overhaul---and no, adding a foodcourt and lighting doesn't constitute a major overhaul, though they apparently think it does. It's tenant mix leaves tons to be desired as does the building's physical layout in comparison to everything around it. I said in an earlier post that maybe some sort of urban development around it (high rises where the current parking lots are with garages) mixed with some greenspace would create a much more fitting look. Somehow MacArthur fits in with Norfolk's downtown... so why can't Pembroke find some sort of way to fit in with Virginia Beach's? (depending on your definition of "downtown" lol)

I don't think they would do that with Lynnhaven spending all that money spicing it up to compete with MacArthur. I think this area is Malled out IMO. I think that mall should be ripped up and incorporated into the town center with some kind of shops that are unique to the area, not your typical mall stores............

I don't know if the entire mall should be razed to the ground... but I am not partial to it in its current location/physical status.  I could stand a major overhaul---and no, adding a foodcourt and lighting doesn't constitute a major overhaul, though they apparently think it does.  It's tenant mix leaves tons to be desired as does the building's physical layout in comparison to everything around it.  I said in an earlier post that maybe some sort of urban development around it (high rises where the current parking lots are with garages) mixed with some greenspace would create a much more fitting look.  Somehow MacArthur fits in with Norfolk's downtown... so why can't Pembroke find some sort of way to fit in with Virginia Beach's?  (depending on your definition of "downtown" lol)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess if it turns out to being similar to lynnhaven mall it would be alright in the area. Still, what is the mall going to do when they bring retail to the town center and away from the pembroke mall? Speaking of that, my girlfriends father works at Pembroke mall, and he said there was a rumor about a macy's by the town center so i was wondering if anyone heard about it?

I guess if it turns out to being similar to lynnhaven mall it would be alright in the area.  Still, what is the mall going to do when they bring retail to the town center and away from the pembroke mall?  Speaking of that, my girlfriends father works at Pembroke mall, and he said there was a rumor about a macy's by the town center so i was wondering if anyone heard about it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would hope and pray that the two neighbors wouldn't compete with one another, and I doubt the city would endorse that competition. About the Macy's thing, that's an interesting concept, though Idk where in TC it would go? Perhaps AT Pembroke? Though that seems like a stretch...

I guess if it turns out to being similar to lynnhaven mall it would be alright in the area.  Still, what is the mall going to do when they bring retail to the town center and away from the pembroke mall?  Speaking of that, my girlfriends father works at Pembroke mall, and he said there was a rumor about a macy's by the town center so i was wondering if anyone heard about it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, that would work I would think. I wonder if this is true? Hey, ya noticed how we recently each of us has heard several things on the down low. I am hoping we are getting correct info from good sources!! :lol:

Hey, that would work I would think. I wonder if this is true? Hey, ya noticed how we recently each of us has heard several things on the down low. I am hoping we are getting correct info from good sources!!  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am almost 100% confident about my post on the Target connecting to Pembroke mall, however, i am not so confident about the Macy's though, he does work in the area and talks to contractors all the time so he may have some credibility.

What about Macy's at Town Square. . interesting concept.  :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If (by the grace of God) Macy's was to move to the new Town Square (or any other development in that little corner of VB), that would be pretty big. It would likely become a major draw just because it's new to the area, etc. As far as Pembroke... I rather like the idea that Coliseum in Hampton has---breaking up the mall into 4 or 5 buildings with "streets" in-between and building parking garages around the property to give it a more-"urban" feel; something perhaps similar to Short Pump in Richmond. I think that would be an interesting idea---maybe with mid or high-rises fronting Independence and VB Blvd. with offices and condos and unique stores on the first few floors. I think that area is just about maxed out with the big-box retailers as well, so if Macy's came I'd hope that the others would go and maybe be replaced by some middle-sized stores (i.e. an Old Navy flagship, a Barnes + Noble etc. -- not those stores, but stores of such size).

I am almost 100% confident about my post on the Target connecting to Pembroke mall, however, i am not so confident about the Macy's though, he does work in the area and talks to contractors all the time so he may have some credibility.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you were able to find out if this would be locating at the Furniture Liquidaters site and also if a parking garage was in the mix that would be awesome.

Somehow MacArthur fits in with Norfolk's downtown... so why can't Pembroke find some sort of way to fit in with Virginia Beach's?  (depending on your definition of "downtown" lol)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The mall fits in perfectly with the rest of Pembroke (ugly strip malls, mismatched architechture, a sea of concrete and asphalt)... it's the TC that doesn't fit in lol

Seriously, they are moving in the right direction. They are putting in some unique restaurants on the outer fringes and with a Target will come more foot traffic and thus more tennant mix. Supposedly that awful looking Sears (especially when you compare it to the new one at Military Circle) is one of the highest sales stores. So the area definately has potential.

Mac Arthur and the CBD of Norfolk is a major work in progress and they were doing that years before the TC. Give it more time and the TC area will blossom into something better. It's not even that bad now.

I hope they do build a fairly substantial parking garage because then they could take a section of the huge (and rather dilapidated) parking lot and build something on it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In my mind the mall could attract higher class tenants with a parking deck. That shows a substantial investment into the mall.

The mall fits in perfectly with the rest of Pembroke (ugly strip malls, mismatched architechture, a sea of concrete and asphalt)... it's the TC that doesn't fit in lol

Seriously, they are moving in the right direction.  They are putting in some unique restaurants on the outer fringes and with a Target will come more foot traffic and thus more tennant mix.  Supposedly that awful looking Sears (especially when you compare it to the new one at Military Circle) is one of the highest sales stores.  So the area definately has potential. 

Mac Arthur and the CBD of Norfolk is a major work in progress and they were doing that years before the TC.  Give it more time and the TC area will blossom into something better.  It's not even that bad now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't in any way intend to demean TC; I visit it every time I go to the Southside and enjoy it! It's a great project, but it's neighbor to the north (Pembroke Mall) leaves a bit to be desired... I do think it's changing, though, and for the better. *Optimism!*

... I do think it's changing, though, and for the better.  *Optimism!*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed! I have seen the changes myself over the last 5 yrs since moving here. It has been incredible to see for sure. Try to be a little patient as it will take awhile for things to turn around. I still think Target will bring the mall a lot of changes. Target attracts a higher class of people than Sears or probably even Kohls (though I really have enjoyed shopping at Kohls.) IMO Target is a huge catch for Pembroke Mall.

Archived