Retail in Richmond

vdogg

Some upbeat news regarding Richmond's Saks Fifth Avenue store:

Saks CEO visits Richmond store

The CEO talks about the company's changes as a whole as well as the Richmond location. Steven would probably enjoy the read!

If they're doing over 15% sales growth at Saks Stony Point, they're doing more than alright.

They're in the right neighborhood at the right time. Luxury retail is one of the most insulated parts of the market, and Stony Point has its pick of some of the most affluent ZIP codes in the area. retaurning to the classics will meain key to the strategy.

Richmond likes edgy fashion occasionally, but in small doses.

I can see that... speaking of which, I wonder how edgier retailers like American Apparel are doing in the Richmond market.

Have you had a trip up to the Richmond Sak's yet Steven?

I bought two neat shirts there last Thursday (Damn! I shoulda waited 'til Friday and saved a few bucks on the sales tax holiday.) The store looked busier than the last time I was in there.

I can see that... speaking of which, I wonder how edgier retailers like American Apparel are doing in the Richmond market.

Have you had a trip up to the Richmond Sak's yet Steven?

I don't get to Richmond as much as I'd like. The last time I was at Saks was probably a year ago. I intend to come back sometime this summer to see how the retail developments are holding up.

Two new stores are opening at Short Pump Town Center. They are Tommy Bahama, the casual men's and women's clothing retailer. It will be on the lower level across from Apple.

The other is Fossil, maker of watches and accessories. It will be next to Swarovski.

Edited by burt

Two new stores are opening at Short Pump Town Center. They are Tommy Bahama, the casual men's and women's clothing retailer. It will be on the lower level across from Apple.

The other is Fossil, maker of watches and accessories. It will be next to Swarovski.

Burt I think Wrld beat you to this on another thread ;) But it is always good to put it on multiple places ;)

not recently... but from day 1 I've scratched my head as to why they keep calling this thing a mall. What mall has a Lowe's, Target, Ukrop's, PetSmart, and Sam's Club as lead tenants? NONE because this thing isn't a mall... The local news stations always call this thing a mall...

Did you see this? If it's posted on here I'm sorry.

Shopping Center or Mall?

Did you see this? If it's posted on here I'm sorry.

Shopping Center or Mall?

They are neither. He forgot the 'looks like crap' grouping. There are two categories - a city, and sprawl. I believe all of those are sprawl. If someone wants to argue that point, let's begin. The only wiggle room you will have is on West Broad Village, but seeing as how it is out in the middle of sprawl, I think even that will be skating on thin ice.

*Steps off the soap-box*

Here are some retail updates as reported by Greg Gilligan in his column today at inRich:

Chesterfield Town Center at Midlothian Tpk and Huguenot Road -- Charlotte Russe will open this fall, taking over the Shevel's (more recently, Barry Better Menswear Store) space. Victoria's Secret is moving to spaces formerly occupied by Radio Shack, April Sports and Regis. Radio Shack will relocate north of the food court; April Sports will be near Dillard's and Regis will be closer to Macy's. A deal is pending for Victoria's Secret space and for several locations near the north entrance off the Macy's wing where Lee Nails is among the shops. Lee Nails will relocate in the mall.

A 60,000 s/f Target should open in October at Staples Mill Square just south of Food Lion. Other proposed tenants, occupying another 60,000 s/f, will iclude Office Max, Famous Footwear, Firehouse Subs, Game Stop, Supercuts and a couple of other small retailers.

A McDonald's will open nearby on Staples Mill Road.

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

Is Bass Pro Shop still planned for I-95 and Lewistown Road interchange? I drove past there several times but couldn't see anything that looked as if it could be BPS. Lots of other construction is going on along the I-95 Ashland/Richmond corridor.

I didn't know that Bass Pro Shops was intending on building there. It suprises me that they would consider that location seeing as how the Gander Mountain store is just about near completion at the Atlee-Elmont exit.

Bass Pro Shops Coming?

Outdoors sporting-goods retailer Bass Pro Shops is looking to put a store in the Richmond area, a company official confirmed.

The chain, which sells a range of fishing and hunting gear and equipment for boating, hiking, backpacking and camping, expects to make an announcement in the next several weeks, spokesman Larry Whiteley said.

Real estate sources say the chain is focusing on a site at the southwest quadrant of Interstate 95 and Lewistown Road in Hanover County.

Bass Pro Shops operates 34 stores in 20 states, including a 105,000-square-foot store in Hampton that opened in November 2003. That location, in the Power Plant of Hampton Roads project, has a 19,000-gallon fresh-water aquarium and a 40-foot rock-climbing wall.

D.C., here's the story about a possible Bass Pro Shop.

Note this announcement (or speculation) was dated over a year ago.

Bass Pro has started . to advertise in the Richmond area (TV ads). I don't recall ever having seen these here. I assumed that it mean that they were just about ready to open (I was under the impression that the Gander mountain store under construction was a Bas Pro, they look alike). Perhaps Bas Pro is just trying to stake out some market share in RVA before people become loyal to Gander Mountain

Bass Pro has started . to advertise in the Richmond area (TV ads). I don't recall ever having seen these here. I assumed that it mean that they were just about ready to open (I was under the impression that the Gander mountain store under construction was a Bas Pro, they look alike). Perhaps Bas Pro is just trying to stake out some market share in RVA before people become loyal to Gander Mountain

If/when Bass Pro Shops opens up in that area with a Dick's down the street and the Gander Mountain, it won't be long before you can kiss Green Top goodbye. Some may argue that Green Top will survive but most people that I know are not happy with the level of courtesy and higher than normal prices. Personally, I would be happier that a pig in crap to not have to go into Green Top ever again.

• 4 weeks later...

Greg Gilligan's column today in the TD tells news we already know about the coming closure of ACACIA at its present Carytown location. And it also reveals news that will please Cam about an entertainment center that may include cinemas at Audubon Crossing near White Oak Village. I'm putting Greg's entire story here because I''m rushed and have to go out:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/busines...09-17-0043.html

oh ok ya I dont know much about the east end so didnt really know if they had a Ukrops or not. If my grandparents still lived out in the east end and were still living then im sure I would be even more familiar with the east end as my grandma and grandpa lived in highland park off of Laburnum. I forget what street that is that you turn off of Laburnum. But my granparents lived on Meadowbridge Road.