Norfolk Pictures

willy

Thanks Guy because that is what i wanted to go for, not the huge pix that overwhelm the page :-)...

I think that I figured out how to get the pix to be smaller. I have a mac and with it comes thing thing called "iPhoto". I keep meaning to get photoshop but that is another $400 story.

Here is another pic og the Hague Tower that I am using as a test mule. If it turns out too big, I guess that I need to try again...

[url=http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=898]

OK... so that did not work either.

Any suggestions from mac users using Safari?

post-2510-1128887470_thumb.jpg

Edited by JPN0731

Wow JPN....i REALLY like the one in the middle of those 3 pics above. You can see the skyline, Trader's tower cranes, and Harbor Heights! Plus, you can see the older buildings of Norfolk...what a GREAT shot!!

Yeah that's definitely the best shot of Norfolk I've seen in a long time. I enjoy how the Trader cranes and newer (late 20th century) towers loom in the background over the older historic buildings in the foreground. It's a wonderful image!

I like the one with the cruise ship too because it shows that late 90s residential development on the west side of Boush Street. It was a great investment in downtown and signaled the beginning of the residential boom downtown, but I do hate those buildings. It's three entire blocks (or more?) of THE SAME BLOODY THING! :sick:

In the recent pic by JPN, you can see Harbor Heights' location. My question is, are they done with the demolition phase, or is that building that appears to be on the site going to be torn down? I remember seeing the first renderings of Harbor Heights and there appeared to be a building still standing next to the main one but I'm not sure.

In the recent pic by JPN, you can see Harbor Heights' location. My question is, are they done with the demolition phase, or is that building that appears to be on the site going to be torn down? I remember seeing the first renderings of Harbor Heights and there appeared to be a building still standing next to the main one but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your compliments. I think that cityscape pictures turn out much better on cloudy days because it really brings out the colors in the buildings. On a really sunny day, the sun bleaches out the clolors and makes it too bright.

I got that shot from the new parking garage on Freemason/Granby, which is much higher than the old one. In the not so distant future, a lot of that view will be replaced by the HH building. I was trying to go for a more "dense" look because Norfolk's DT is really coming together now.

As for the last building there, I can't remember if it is in the rendering or not, but I recall seeing something there in the back view. It and the other two buildings right there (Bugatti's and something else that used to be the uniform shop) would not be missed if they were replaced by something else. All three are going to be dwarfed by the HH building and all the buildings that are already there.

Lastly Lammius, I see your point about those condos across the street. I have some pix somewhere of when they were under construction. You have to remember that at the time they were built the real estate market had just barely started warming up here (so when they were planned it was even less exciting). I remember when they were just parking lots and the Pagoda Park was just a sea of grass in those lots. I don't really mind them because they are inoffensive and "colonial" and I think that was the point. After having seen Port Warwick, I would really like to see some more modern looking things go up in the DT area, but there is obviously not many places in Freemason where this would be possible.

Trader Cranes (plus thumb)

Tradercranes.jpg

Harbor Heights

Supertallcrane.jpg

Harbor Heights grotesquely tall crane :lol:

supertall2.jpg

Mall vantage point

mall.jpg

Long way down (plus thumb again)

Longwaydown.jpg

Downtown density

Downtown.jpg

More density

Density.jpg

Where's that 13th floor? <_<

13thfloor.jpg

Harbors Edge and ship

HarborsEdgeship.jpg

Miscellaneous

densityhague.jpg

Well guys, that's it. None of these pics really turned out all that great. Guess I need to get a real camera. :(

The first two pictures are of the Tazewell Lots. The next two are of the Trader building. Notice the Tazewell Crane in the distance. Woohoo!

S3010314.JPG

WOW! Those pictures are huge!! Is there a way I can scale them down?

This is my favorite. If I can resize it I've found a new avatar. :)