GSP International

gvillenative

7 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Don't tell Gman430, but Delta is also flying CHS to Minneapolis starting in April. 

But they and Asheville just lost service to LaGuardia with American Airlines: https://amp.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article255900636.html

The airline isn’t dropping any routes between New York City and Charlotte, though the airline will drop routes between LaGuardia Airport and three Carolinas cities: to Asheville (effective March 27), Charleston (effective Jan. 4), and Myrtle Beach (effective June 2).

Edited by gman430

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, greenjoesc said:

New ATCT approved.  Will under design and construction in 2023 to be completed in 2028.  FAA to pay. 

What is that?

October saw 205,543 passengers, the first over 200k since the pandemic started. Short of the record 246,871 that came through in Oct 2019 (all time monthly record at GSP) but solid month nonetheless. Up to roughly 1.45M for the year through Oct.

5 hours ago, rssgvegas said:

United announced internally to their employees they are ending IAD service to 11 cities, effective Mar 2nd.  Unfortunately GSP is on that list.    AVL as well.

No word why, but probably has to do with the regional flying staffing shortage.  An official announcement should come soon!

Just an FYI it would probably be best to just name the city instead of the airport code. Many including myself are not familiar with all the airport codes. TIA

12 hours ago, rssgvegas said:

United announced internally to their employees they are ending IAD service to 11 cities, effective Mar 2nd.  Unfortunately GSP is on that list.    AVL as well.

No word why, but probably has to do with the regional flying staffing shortage.  An official announcement should come soon!

Here's an article about it:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-washington-dulles-suspensions/

On 12/20/2021 at 8:25 AM, Tigers81 said:

Y'all must have some insider information. I was hoping to read more and can't find it anywhere :ph34r:

It’s on their latest agenda: https://gspairport.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/GSP-Commission-Package-November-2021-FINAL.pdf Page 10

Edited by gman430

• 3 weeks later...

Passenger traffic continues to recover at a much better rate. For November 2021, passenger traffic was 87.1% of normal traffic levels. In November 2021 passenger traffic reflects a 124.3% increase over the same month in 2020. Cargo numbers for November 2021 were up 9.8% for the same period. Passenger load factors were up 33.1% for the month, at an average of 79.4%.

Providing a look forward into the service levels for January 2022 is a schedule comparison for the month vs the same month last year, including flights and seats by airline and non-stop markets served. Currently in the schedules, GSP flights are up at 64.2%, and seats are up at 79.2%.

Well yearly numbers are in. Last year GSP had 1,799,877 passengers; 68.92%  over last year's 1,065,499. Not a bad recovery but a long ways from prepandemic levels of 2.61 MM. This is just over the numbers from 2011 when 1.787 MM came though; I think that was the first year with SW.

Cargo numbers have exploded. 96,800 tons; a 48% increase over last year's 65,255! The cargo numbers for 2010-2015 were all b/w 24 and 29k tons, so we are now moving 3-4 times the cargo of just a few years ago.  In pounds this comes out to 193.6MM pounds, considerably more than CAE's  145.4MM, which is considered a major cargo hub.

I sent an email to GSP about Frontier; here's what I got back:

Thank you for reaching out to Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport. We continue to have discussions with all of our airline partners to add new routes and new service at GSP.  At this time, Frontier has not made any plans to resume flights at GSP.

I hate to hear that; it feels like we had a shot to keep them had it not been for the timing of COVID. I was hopeful we could be added back. I notice that Frontier has been expanding quite a bit recently and now serve 101 airports nationwide. Hard to believe that there are 101 airports that are more appropriate than GSP but there it is.

GSP will never get Frontier back. This area doesn’t have what it takes to support them. Same goes with Breeze, JetBlue, and Alaska which is why none of them have come here either. 

Also, Boom chose Greensboro over GSP and Jacksonville. I guess Boeing didn’t want another aircraft manufacturer in the same state due to competition. 

Edited by gman430

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

Also, Boom chose Greensboro over GSP and Jacksonville. I guess Boeing didn’t want another aircraft manufacturer in the same state due to competition. 

Wow that's huge for PTI. GSP has a perfect record of going up against PTI for projects over the years... 0 for. 

And it could happen anywhere but this isn't a good look...

https://www.wyff4.com/article/shots-fired-at-greenville-spartanburg-airport/38889927

:unsure: