GSP International

gvillenative

7 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Wow that's huge for PTI. GSP has a perfect record of going up against PTI for projects over the years... 0 for. 

And it could happen anywhere but this isn't a good look...

https://www.wyff4.com/article/shots-fired-at-greenville-spartanburg-airport/38889927

:unsure:

And with all of that GSP still has more passenger traffic.

35 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Indeed, I noticed that too. It's also a faster growing metro, and has the inland port. I wonder why has GSP been beat out by PTI so much over the years for these type projects; FEDEX Hub, Honda, Boom.

Not really sure. I assume it could have to do with incentives from the state etc.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, GVLer said:

So it seems non stop flights from GSP to ORD on American have vanished?! WTH.

I just did a search on their website and it’s still showing non-stop direct everyday for me from now all the way out to the end of their schedule in January 2023. Some days have more frequencies than others. You must have searched it wrong.  Either that or their website had a brain fart earlier.

Edited by gman430

37 minutes ago, GVLer said:

I just tried again on computer and on phone app.....zero non stop flights. Maybe the Russians have hacked me.

Hmmm…that is odd. Just tried again and still works on my end with the app. Maybe try re-downloading the app and try different dates. Here’s April 16-17 for me: 

8EB0A7E8-E5DB-4115-A0ED-7F56459EBFB5.png

Edited by gman430

10 minutes ago, GVLer said:

Yup that works. Now try March 8-11 and you will see that zero non-stop flights exist that week.

Odd.

The only thing I can think of is that the flights must be full that week. The Bassmaster Classic which will have over 200 vendors and 120,000 spectators the previous weekend might have something to do with it. 

Edited by gman430

• 2 weeks later...

Avelo today announced an expansion and guess which airport was not listed on it? :D But Charleston is landing them so there’s that. 

And if you think Contour is going to expand to Milwaukee and Pittsburgh from here think again: https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/transportation/2022/02/09/indianapolis-international-airport-direct-flights-ind-loses-milwaukee-pittsburgh-routes/6720125001/

Edited by gman430

13 hours ago, gman430 said:

Breeze just announced a huge expansion this morning and guess which airport was not listed on it? :D 

5 hours ago, gman430 said:

Avelo today announced an expansion and guess which airport was not listed on it? :D But Charleston is landing them so there’s that. 

And if you think Contour is going to expand to Milwaukee and Pittsburgh from here think again: https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/transportation/2022/02/09/indianapolis-international-airport-direct-flights-ind-loses-milwaukee-pittsburgh-routes/6720125001/

This is disappointing for sure, but not very surprising I guess. I am not sure what it would take for us to get more options but airlines apparently see us differently than we do. GSP has only a mild success history with these smaller airlines; I mean Allegiant is still there but SW did not do well initially, and Frontier did not last long, though some of that was due to COVID (despite load factors in the upper 80s). Without being a large tourist destination (which I am fine with) it is a lot harder for markets our size to get a true variety of options, and now COVID has changed business travel so there is that too. I am still hopeful we'll get Breeze sometime in the next couple of years and maybe Frontier will give us another shot eventually but we may just have to face the reality that we kinda are what we are. ATL and CLT just have way too much pulling power and our leakage to those ariports are massive. Maybe decades from now the population increase will warrant what we would like to see but... Also, AVL is causing problems for GSP.  For example, I may be going to CO in the summer and I can fly to Denver on Allegiant from there for under $200, whereas it's $400 to $500 from GSP on United. For two tickets that's about a $500 difference for an hour drive. I'll probably be using AVL for my first time.

2 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

This is disappointing for sure, but not very surprising I guess. I am not sure what it would take for us to get more options but airlines apparently see us differently than we do. GSP has only a mild success history with these smaller airlines; I mean Allegiant is still there but SW did not do well initially, and Frontier did not last long, though some of that was due to COVID (despite load factors in the upper 80s). Without being a large tourist destination (which I am fine with) it is a lot harder for markets our size to get a true variety of options, and now COVID has changed business travel so there is that too. I am still hopeful we'll get Breeze sometime in the next couple of years and maybe Frontier will give us another shot eventually but we may just have to face the reality that we kinda are what we are. ATL and CLT just have way too much pulling power and our leakage to those ariports are massive. Maybe decades from now the population increase will warrant what we would like to see but... Also, AVL is causing problems for GSP.  For example, I may be going to CO in the summer and I can fly to Denver on Allegiant from there for under $200, whereas it's $400 to $500 from GSP on United. For two tickets that's about a $500 difference for an hour drive. I'll probably be using AVL for my first time.

Yeah, if you compare GSP to CAE, TYS, and PTI we are actually doing better than they are for the most part. They don’t have Southwest like we do.  I flew Allegiant out of Asheville when I went to Austin in August last year. It wasn’t bad at all. Very smooth all around. Much cheaper then GSP and non-stop direct also. However, I am going to London in two weeks and GSP was cheaper than either ATL or CLT with Delta. I couldn’t believe it. Lol. 

Edited by gman430

9 minutes ago, motonenterprises said:

Charleston doesn't sit between 2 major metro areas with large airports, and it is a tourist trap. That equals more flights for their airport. People in Greenville have airports in either direction including in the area. I don't understand the complaining.

You know we are all well aware of this, so no real need to point it out. We're just talking about the everyday experience of not being able to use our own airport much of the time, despite being in an immediate area of 1.5MM and an encatchment area much larger than that. Nobody expects us to have a major hub, but at least being able to fly to the top 20 or 25 destinations would be nice. There is no reason Breeze can't come here, especially seeing who they are already servicing. Frontier now serves well over 100 airports in the country, there is no reason they cannot come back to GSP which is a top 90 airport.  Of course CAE has it even worse.

3 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

You know we are all well aware of this, so no real need to point it out. We're just talking about the everyday experience of not being able to use our own airport much of the time, despite being in an immediate area of 1.5MM and an encatchment area much larger than that. Nobody expects us to have a major hub, but at least being able to fly to the top 20 or 25 destinations would be nice. There is no reason Breeze can't come here, especially seeing who they are already servicing. Frontier now serves well over 100 airports in the country, there is no reason they cannot come back to GSP which is a top 90 airport.  Of course CAE has it even worse.

Sir Richard Branson was once asked how someone could become a millonaire.  His answer: "invest a billion dollars in an airline". 

Personally, why anyone in their right mind would invest in or start an airline is a mystery to me.  

To the subject at hand.  The financial wizards the airlines hire know when, where, and how to expand service.  My guess is that financial incentives from a host market or airport plays a substantial part in their decision.  Sitting between ATL and CLT will always be a challenge for our little (but growing) airport.  Look, I'm old enough to remember when maybe 1/2 dozen jets took off and landed at GSP all day!   The airport has grown and will continue to grow and catch the attention of both legacy carriers, start-ups, and discounters.  Heck, I even predict international service within 20 years!   

• Like 3

It’s too bad the City of Greenville doesn’t take over airport operations. I feel like they would have a lot better of a chance of convincing new carriers and service to come here. Why in the world is a textile company running an airport in the first place? :dontknow: I miss the GSP that fought tooth and nail to get Southwest to come here. It’s almost like now they don’t even care anymore. Sad.

Edited by gman430
  • Confused 4